Next tool choice dictated by the manufacturer your already own ?

hemdale

Hello everybody,

Well the title sums it up.

Let's say I'm in the market for a jobsite light, a radio and an impact driver.

Let's say I will go for a Makita impact driver, would that push me to take advantage of the batteries then buying a Makita radio and a Makita light since I'll be able to swap the batteries ? The same process would apply to any manufacturers.

I would like to avoid buying 3 tools and ending up with 3 new chargers [emoji53] but what are the odds ?

Shall I get a tool a really like in the first place or try to stick to ONE tool manufacturer ?

I'm a bit puzzled. [emoji43]

Thanks for your help and input.

I would like to say I would go with a single brand to keep the battery platform at a minimum. That being said I have 4 different 18v battery platforms so I may not be the best one to answer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Personally I like to have one battery platform because I would rather have a whole bunch of batteries for one platform than a couple batteries for different platforms if you get what I mean. I have DeWalt 20V Max and Milwaukee M12 right now. We'll see how long only two battery platforms last.....my guess is not to much longer!

One platform. That said, I currently have M18 and M12 and am likely adding 20v Max so...

Stick w one to start though. Impact, light and radio is easy. It's once you get into double digit cordless amounts you'll want other platforms. 

Personally I like to have one battery platform because I would rather have a whole bunch of batteries for one platform than a couple batteries for different platforms if you get what I mean. I have DeWalt 20V Max and Milwaukee M12 right now. We'll see how long only two battery platforms last.....my guess is not to much longer!

It was end game for me when I won the ridgid Kit lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try your best to stick with one platform. The battery cost is a major cost in tools, also most tools are going to be comparable and they all have pretty good jobsite radios. Sure some are better than others but you can't always get best in class. If you're buying them to work, buy based on the tools you need, the radio is nice to have but it's not going to make you money.

• Like 1

I agree, if an impact is the main tool you're after I'd focus on that and build from there

This, good advice. Makita makes excellent tools. The impact is nothing to sneeze at, they have the hybrid work lights and perfectly fine radio, you're not missing a whole lot not going with another brand on these things.

I have primarily Milwaukee, but I wanted ryobi hybrid work lights because they are raved about wherever I read about them and they pop right on 2x lumber, which no other light can do, although Milwaukee new Rover light can do that now. But one platform is the most logical approach, and if there's some other brand of this tool or that you really like, I wouldn't blame you for having multiple brands

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I guess I started out with Makita 18v and then won the Bosch kit here on TIA so I guess technically if I wouldn't have won I may only have had Bosch's 12v line. I added Ryobi because I wanted to see how they performed and then Metabo was a combination of I really wanted to see for myself if they were as good as I had heard plus I was looking for a multi speed/ torque setting on an impact. So I guess advice would be one platform, but I think inevitably if you hang around this forum long you will find you just can't live without some new 18v line.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As a Milwaukee fan, and a user of many colors at work, I can attest to Milwaukee having duds, and all tool manufacturers being weak in one area or another lol. My "job site fan" for instance, is a poorer product than the Ryobi alternative in my opinion, but I chose to stay within a system. 

My recommendation is do a little research, and go with a single brand/ battery type for the tools you want. If you are a homeowner/ DIYer, don't be afraid of some of the less expensive brands like Ryobi or Porter-Cable. You can get most of what you want for $200 with them,  whereas with DeWALT, Makita or Milwaukee, you will get the impact, 2 batteries and a charger. Now I wouldn't hesitate to run them several hours a day on a jobsite, but if I were just building a deck or shed and then let the tools sit for 6 months, I'd be looking at some of the lower priced stuff. It really is all about how hard you are going to use it.

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

you're not missing a whole lot not going with another brand on these things.

I have heard good things about all Makita tools except the brad nailer. If that is important to you you may want to go with (depending on your budget) Ridgid, Dewalt, Milwaukee or maybe even Ryobi.

The fan is great. I use it daily. The fact that a fan half the price uses a male receiver for an extension cord, while the the "Nothing But Heavy Duty" version uses a POS wall wart with a connection you'd see on a cordless house phone pisses me off to no end though. The M18 is great but it likely would have been cheaper not to sell it with the wall wart and for tradies to use one of the dozens of extension cords they have laying around. Especially since we are now in the "cordless future" so more cords are now available lol. 

9 hours ago, AnonymousJoe said:

I agree, if an impact is the main tool you're after I'd focus on that and build from there

This is the best point !!!

find your main need, build from that, same platform in necessity order !

you will be happy, pretty much any of the "high end, big name" brands won't disappoint.

Thanks guys. Focusing on the main tool makes perfect sense. So far, 100% of my cordless powertools are Festool.

I have a Mafell corded jigsaw so that doesn't count.

Don't really know why but I have a soft spot for: Makita, Bosch, Festool and Mafell. Never been a huge fan of Dewalt (don't like yellow [emoji53]) or Milwaukee

3 hours ago, Bremon said:

Pretty sure Makita still has the best impact out there, no? If so, that's a good direction to go. 

If you are already into Festool, why not look into a Festool impact driver? I don't know about work lights or radios from Festool, but you could go with Ryobi for lights and radio and use relatively inexpensive batteries.

• Like 1