[resolved] Tool Advice Needed (Angle Grinders)

MattWeiler

I'm looking to buy an angle grinder and would like to know what people think of my below options.

If you have other suggestions, I'm all ears :)

I won't be a heavy user, but I do want to get a decent grinder that'll last me a while and won't need much maintenance.

I'm planning to use it to do some light metal cutting and cleaning using a wire brush.

The prices below are in Canadian dollars since that's where I live.

The 3 that I'm looking at right now are:

1) DEWALT DW831 5-Inch Medium Angle Grinder

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DW831-5-Inch-Medium-Grinder/dp/B00004TQH9/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1467907790&sr=1-2

$100 (regular $240) - sale price

2) Dewalt DWE402 4-1/2-Inch 11-Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DWE402-2-Inch-11-Amp-Grinder/dp/B00RVZ7DNO/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1467907790&sr=1-5

$100 (regular $160) - sale price

3) Bosch 1375A 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-1375A-2-Inch-Angle-Grinder/dp/B00004SUOU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

$50

I know that the Bosch is not as powerful as the 2 Dewalts, but I was just putting it in the mix to see what thoughts anyone may have on it?

Edited by MattWeiler
marked title as resolved

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

You would be surprised by the power of a grinder in the 7amp range, Bosch makes great grinders, I prefer paddle as well.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the fast reply Jimbo.

I think I'm leaning towards the 4 1/2" Dewalt paddle grinder or the 4 1/2" Bosch.

Since 4 1/2" size is the most common, it should be the easiest to get a variety of wheels for.

I didn't think about the paddle option much until you mentioned it, but I agree that I also prefer a grinder that has a paddle as opposed to a trigger so the 5" Dewalt is probably out.

Since I don't need it asap, I'll order one of them next weekend when I get back from our family camping trip.

I'll be checking this thread for more insight :)

Thanks for the fast reply Jimbo.

I think I'm leaning towards the 4 1/2" Dewalt paddle grinder or the 4 1/2" Bosch.

Since 4 1/2" size is the most common, it should be the easiest to get a variety of wheels for.

I didn't think about the paddle option much until you mentioned it, but I agree that I also prefer a grinder that has a paddle as opposed to a trigger so the 5" Dewalt is probably out.

Since I don't need it asap, I'll order one of them next weekend when I get back from our family camping trip.

I'll be checking this thread for more insight [emoji4]

Now with a 5" grinder you can still use 4 1/2" discs... But for the lighter use you mentioned you can get away with a lower amp grinder

Jimbo

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Now with a 5" grinder you can still use 4 1/2" discs... But for the lighter use you mentioned you can get away with a lower amp grinder

Jimbo

Thanks again Jimbo.

Ya, I think I might just get the $50 Bosch and if my needs change I can always get a more powerful one later.

4 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Notice the color scheme among the grinders these guys use?

Thanks for the info Stercorarius.

Dewalt is definitely a well known and powerful brand.

I think for now, my needs are nowhere near those of the guys pictured above :)

If the Bosch feels lacking in the future, I can always get a more powerful grinder... likely a Dewalt.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with having a multitude of devices... more powerful ones for bigger jobs and less powerful for small jobs.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Stercorarius.

Dewalt is definitely a well known and powerful brand.

I think for now, my needs are nowhere near those of the guys pictured above [emoji4]

If the Bosch feels lacking in the future, I can always get a more powerful grinder... likely a Dewalt.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with having a multitude of devices... more powerful ones for bigger jobs and less powerful for small jobs.

Can never have enough grinders!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Makita, Milwaukee both also make stellar grinders and I have especially liked using the Milwaukee. Bosch I haven't used, but I have heard great reviews about. I just couldn't buy one because of the way the paddle is on their cheaper grinder. Cheap Hitachi's have garbage bearings and aren't worth dealing with. The reason I advocate DeWalt is that it is what I see guys who run them all day everyday using. The DeWalt the hoof trimmer has been using at work regularly for years is still running strong and the mobile hoof trimmers that have their own custom mobile chute all have Dewalts and those guys depend on them for a living as they run them all day everyday.

larger grinders usually have a spring loaded trigger for good reason, even the smaller grinders that have locking switches are just asking for trouble. Eventually if you use a grinder enough you will at the least get a good scare......I like the paddle switch on my Milwaukee Fuel grinder for the simple reason I have to keep alert to run it......

• Like 1

larger grinders usually have a spring loaded trigger for good reason, even the smaller grinders that have locking switches are just asking for trouble. Eventually if you use a grinder enough you will at the least get a good scare......I like the paddle switch on my Milwaukee Fuel grinder for the simple reason I have to keep alert to run it......

Best part with paddle if the grinder catches and goes A-Wall, at least it'll turn off

Jimbo

On 7/7/2016 at 1:16 PM, Stercorarius said:

Notice the color scheme among the grinders these guys use?

Are those DeWalt? They look more like Fein to me....

I have four grinders... a 5" Fein, a 4.5" Bosch 1380 Slim, a 4.5 DeWalt, and a 4" Makita. Obviously, I like the Fein the best, by miles. The Krauts know how to make fantastic grinders. The Bosch is apparently an outlier, as it's supposed to be cheap and light, and it does feel cheap and unrefined. Surprisingly, because I don't really like DeWalt, I really like the grinder. The Makita is also a fine tool.

I don't like paddle switches, and I dunno if I've ever used a grinder with a trigger. I'll likely stick with sliding switches.

I don't know if being in The Great White North will be a problem, but CPO Fein/CPO Metabo frequently have screaming deals on both Metabo and Fein grinders. I'd watch them closely...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BK13 said:

Are those DeWalt? They look more like Fein to me....

I have four grinders... a 5" Fein, a 4.5" Bosch 1380 Slim, a 4.5 DeWalt, and a 4" Makita. Obviously, I like the Fein the best, by miles. The Krauts know how to make fantastic grinders. The Bosch is apparently an outlier, as it's supposed to be cheap and light, and it does feel cheap and unrefined. Surprisingly, because I don't really like DeWalt, I really like the grinder. The Makita is also a fine tool.

I don't like paddle switches, and I dunno if I've ever used a grinder with a trigger. I'll likely stick with sliding switches.

I don't know if being in The Great White North will be a problem, but CPO Fein/CPO Metabo frequently have screaming deals on both Metabo and Fein grinders. I'd watch them closely...

Metabo and Fein are top dogs, thought about mentioning what or the other but that can be a big bite to chew into for an occasional user... love to get my paws on a fein things are built like a tank! Makita is supposed to be a nice grinder as well but everyone has their preference.

6 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Metabo and Fein are top dogs, thought about mentioning what or the other but that can be a big bite to chew into for an occasional user... love to get my paws on a fein things are built like a tank! Makita is supposed to be a nice grinder as well but everyone has their preference.

That's why I suggested watching CPO. I got my Fein for like 60% off.

• Like 3

Spent 8 years in the steel industry welding and steel erecting and all the kit was bosch and hilti but the grinders were bosch and that's the only grinders I use now as no other brand feels right to me but the main thing is they last and last and I've never thought they lacked in power I would recommend 100%

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

there is a recall on bosch 1380 grinders. not your model, just putting it out there.

i'm a pipefitter, thanks for the pipe pics. we use metabo for grinders, with metabo blades or discs.

fwiw, i have found de walt cutting discs are junk. their grinding wheels aren't far behind.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/service/product-safety/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phffter said:

there is a recall on bosch 1380 grinders. not your model, just putting it out there.

i'm a pipefitter, thanks for the pipe pics. we use metabo for grinders, with metabo blades or discs.

fwiw, i have found de walt cutting discs are junk. their grinding wheels aren't far behind.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/service/product-safety/

Usually it's a good sign when a manufacturer actually issues recalls...unless you hear in the news about courts forcing them to do a recall.

• Like 1