Circular saw fences

Bremon

Guys, I'm looking to get a fence for my 6.5" Fuel, and I see quite a wide variety of options out there. Milwaukee alone has a large number of them, and they each reference different saw model numbers. Are these not a one-size-fits-all solution? I was under the assumption they would be standardized and at worst, the readout might be backwards if I get one for a blade-right saw for instance, compared to my blade-left 6.5". Thanks for any input!

Guys, I'm looking to get a fence for my 6.5" Fuel, and I see quite a wide variety of options out there. Milwaukee alone has a large number of them, and they each reference different saw model numbers. Are these not a one-size-fits-all solution? I was under the assumption they would be standardized and at worst, the readout might be backwards if I get one for a blade-right saw for instance, compared to my blade-left 6.5". Thanks for any input!

Make your own with a piece of angle iron or steel studs, cut your custom size, I used a piece of aluminum angle, works like a charm

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like you two are talking 2 different ways of accomplishing the same goal. One sounds like a rip guide, a T shape usually and slides in and out of a clamp on the saw. the other is clamped to the piece being cut and the saw butts up against it and slides along it to make the cut.

Bremon, I am sure the reason they are not one size fits all is that the markings on the rip guide is for a specific base plate. One saw might be 1 1/2" from the blade to the edge of the base plate while another might be 2" so the markings may be different as well as the size of the sliding rail may be different from saw to saw. As for blade right or left markings, it would just cause the markings to be upside down because you are spinning it 180 degrees. 

As for the other kind, I have 2" wide, 1/4" thick bar of aluminum that is maybe 54" long that I use for straight cuts on plywood. I use it with small clamps which hang under the plywood and the motor clears the clamps easily. I know I have seen various clamps and tracks that work in a similar way at both Lowes and Home Depot that aren't that expensive.

I flip my guides all the time, an inch is an inch no mater where you mark it or if it's upside-down or not. The properties of the inch never change. If you're blade is an inch from the base plate edge, the guide still goes in the same as if your blade is 1.5" from the edge of the base plate. The only thing that matters is how far the guide slides in. If it slides in to give you a 5" cut, that's 5" from the blade to the rail on the guide, not the edge of the plate. The rail on the guide and the mark on your base plate is what gives you your measurement.

The only issue is the width of the arm on the guide rail, if it will fit the receivers on your plate or not.

As for longer cuts, there's guides out there made to connect to the base plate, but I just use a 6' level. Clamp it to the wood and run the saw along it. Same can be done with any long straight edge...flat bar stock, angle iron, etc..

Sorry, it's early and I haven't had any coffee yet, so I'm being a know-it-all smart-ass. Which, thinking about it, is pretty normal for me.

Get a drywall square and cut the T end short with your circular saw so it matches the blade offset.  That way your cuts are always square and you don't need to measure or remember the offset.

If it's the kind that's like a mini T square that sticks in your saw, I've never seen one with markings and most saws come with one so I'm surprised your saw didn't.

• Like 1

Yes, sorry, must be some long days at work starting to make my brain foggy. A rip guide/rip fence I s what I'm talking about. Thanks for the input guys. I don't believe my Fuel came with one, unless in my excitement I threw it in the trash. 

I emailed Milwaukee, they said the rip fence I need is 49-22-1001. Found it online for $12. Fingers crossed that they speak the truth. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2016 at 8:32 AM, Bremon said:

Yes, sorry, must be some long days at work starting to make my brain foggy. A rip guide/rip fence I s what I'm talking about. Thanks for the input guys. I don't believe my Fuel came with one, unless in my excitement I threw it in the trash. 

I emailed Milwaukee, they said the rip fence I need is 49-22-1001. Found it online for $12. Fingers crossed that they speak the truth. 

I have that one for my 7 1/2, should have gotten the one for a worm drive :< ah well

• Like 1

Thanks pancing. I was told for the 2730 the fence is the 49-22-1001, but replacement part sites say 49-22-1005, and the 2731 rip fence is the 49-22-2731. 

So much easier when part numbers match model numbers, rather than cause confusion. The new compact impact wrenches don't have protective boots yet, for instance, and their parts numbers match the boots for the old modes. Confusing for no reason. 

Milwaukee 49-22-4146 Rip Fence Kit I think this one is for sidewinders.

1469413008339-1365338873.jpg

I can get it to 4" before i cant screw in the fence bolt on the blade side

14694130549901222966830.jpg

But on the motor side it gets to the full 6" and more, I might just have to drill a hole on the otherside and use a screw. I'm also going to have to use a paint stick to make the guide rail a bit longer.

• Like 1

Nice, thanks for the pics Pancing! I just remembered that not only to I have a Milwaukee repair centre here, I've actually been to it... Should have thought of it early. They should have stock on this stuff and I can avoid paying exchange and duty from a US online vendor. 

Plus, it's near the main Pelican showroom for Western Canada which I also need to swing by. Sounds like my next Saturday is planned lol.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Nice, thanks for the pics Pancing! I just remembered that not only to I have a Milwaukee repair centre here, I've actually been to it... Should have thought of it early. They should have stock on this stuff and I can avoid paying exchange and duty from a US online vendor. 

Plus, it's near the main Pelican showroom for Western Canada which I also need to swing by. Sounds like my next Saturday is planned lol.  

I'm on a kubota for 5 hours on saturday, I'm jealous.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by my local Milwaukee service centre today, ordered a fence for the 2731, which is 49-22-2731, as well as a fence for the 2730. The difference between the 49-22-1001 and 49-22-1005 is one has the thumbscrew and one just has the fence itself. Your saw should already have the thumbscrew unless you took it off and lost it lol. Just for future reference for anyone with those saws looking for specific parts. 

Also ordered in a boot for the 2755B (that I haven't bought yet, but it's a bitch to find that boot in Canada at least). The boot is coming from the states. Hopefully doesn't take too long.

• Like 3

It took multiple visits to multiple websites and emails to Milwaukee for me to get a straight answer. I'm not sure that their backend info is much more detailed than what we have access to. In fact, I'm sort of expecting the wrong impact boot to come in lol. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Weird Tolkienish Figure said:

I bought one at Harbor Freight. All it has to be is straight right? Hehe.

Lol precisely. I have no harbor freight here though and the usual big boxes told me "hmm not in store, but online you can get them!"