Current 12V BL Impact Driver choices?

wildroamer

Hey gang,

I'm back looking at 12v tools again, specifically a drill and impact driver. I'm wondering what is available in the US as far as brushless offerings. I know there is the Milwaukee M12 Fuel available, but other mfr's seem to have slim pickings, especially on the impact driver front. I see Makita has what looks to be a nice, compact 12v brushless drill, FD07R1, but I am not seeing a brushless impact to go with it. 

Bosch has been promising the new PS42 it seems like forever, but I don't see it anywhere. 

It looks like Metabo has both, but seem to be NAINA, unless I'm missing something.

Any other options? I'm going to jump on Milwaukee, likely, but would like to see what else is available first.

1 hour ago, wildroamer said:

Hey gang,

I'm back looking at 12v tools again, specifically a drill and impact driver. I'm wondering what is available in the US as far as brushless offerings. I know there is the Milwaukee M12 Fuel available, but other mfr's seem to have slim pickings, especially on the impact driver front. I see Makita has what looks to be a nice, compact 12v brushless drill, FD07R1, but I am not seeing a brushless impact to go with it. 

Bosch has been promising the new PS42 it seems like forever, but I don't see it anywhere. 

It looks like Metabo has both, but seem to be NAINA, unless I'm missing something.

Any other options? I'm going to jump on Milwaukee, likely, but would like to see what else is available first.

Todd, Bosch will have the new EC out this month I think? But....you can buy it on eBay for something like $120 with free shipping for the tool only. Metabo can be bought from Amazon UK but the charger is of a Euro design and won't work here in the US. Hilti has a new 12v line but they are not brushless. It is pretty slim right now but it's changing....slowly. I think for now the only readily available ones are the Milwaukee and you can mail order the Bosch and Makitas.

• Like 1

TBH, I think you're crazy if you don't go with Milwaukee. Bosch makes great items but their lineup is soo small in comparison, batteries are less available and have less options. I didn't count but I'm pretty sure Milwaukee has more BL m12 tools than Bosch has 12v tools total. The Bosch jigsaw is really the only must-have in the lineup, unless you're building your 12v line based around a jigsaw, you have to go Milwaukee. That's just my opinion.

• Like 2

TBH, I think you're crazy if you don't go with Milwaukee. Bosch makes great items but their lineup is soo small in comparison, batteries are less available and have less options. I didn't count but I'm pretty sure Milwaukee has more BL m12 tools than Bosch has 12v tools total. The Bosch jigsaw is really the only must-have in the lineup, unless you're building your 12v line based around a jigsaw, you have to go Milwaukee. That's just my opinion.

Milwaukee does have a big selection of 12v tools. For me though, I don't need a fraction of what they have so that didn't play in to my decision.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Same here Kruton. When it comes to what I do, the Bosch 12v line offers more of what I need and in a more compact body. Might not have the torque of the M12 but I'm not driving lags or burrowing holes with an auger bit. If I were a tradesman I could totally see going Milwaukee, IR cameras, special tube cutters and the like I get it, but when I'm building a bookcase or a table, I get the job done. I am seriously thinking about heading off more with the Dewalts in the larger tools for the big stuff but for 12v I am staying blue!

• Like 1

Oh and one more thing! Milwaukee, as I have said repeatedly, has a huge 12v line. Bosch comes in second. And whereas Milwaukee looks to really stick with specific tasks and trades, excelling in specific task oriented tools for some reason, Bosch has always had more tools for the woodworker available. Not a lot of tools but quite a few. The new circular saw they have is gorgeous and their jig is supposed to be the best 12v jig on the market with many advanced features.

• Like 2

I'm not sure which way I'll go, but I do like the more compact size of the Bosch. I'm already set on Dewalt for the 18v and up, so not sure if the extensive M12 offerings are quite as important for me.

I do appreciate that the M12 Fuel are top tier quality though, so will have to do some thinking on this.

Thanks a lot for all the input, gang, very helpful as usual!

• Like 2

I'm not sure which way I'll go, but I do like the more compact size of the Bosch. I'm already set on Dewalt for the 18v and up, so not sure if the extensive M12 offerings are quite as important for me.

I do appreciate that the M12 Fuel are top tier quality though, so will have to do some thinking on this.

Thanks a lot for all the input, gang, very helpful as usual!

I think any way you go you are going to get quality tools that should last you quite a while. Just make sure whatever you get we see pictures...remember, if the TIA crew doesn't see them, then you didn't really buy them!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Good advice guys, if I weren't in an occupation that took advantage of Milwaukee extensive 12v lineup, I could totally see myself buying Bosch, the set that I grabbed at Lowe's was very nice, but between the small offering and my affair with Milwaukee, I just couldn't keep them... BUT THEN MY FATHER IN LAW BOUGHT IT LOL!!!!?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

...but between the small offering...

Good stuff, but for the contractor, the line - especially when it comes to brushless - is just way too limited to be given serious consideration.

• Like 3