Show off your grinders

JimboS1ice

Sterco game me a good idea to start a thread showing off your grinders... I've gone bezerk and ended up with 4 new ones over the last few weeks to start this thread off, I'll have to get a picture of my beat up hitachi too

052df872b5b10d206fd53f74d24b0f31.jpg

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Kato said:

My grinders...Delta 8" variable speed bench grinder, Tool Shop 4.5" angle grinder, Ryobi 4.5" cordless, and HDX die grinder...

How do you like that Delta? I've been thinking about buying that, seems like it's the best bang for your buck. The Ryobi is cheaper but also underpowered by comparison.

It's great. I've had it around 8 years or so, never have any issues with it. It runs very smooth, the variable speed is a great feature to have. My only gripe is that an 8" wire wheel is a tiny bit too wide, to run one I ave to leave the side guard off and add a shim to the motor side to push the wheel away from the inside guard. They have a newer version, but it looks like it's just a redesign. The power switch and speed knob are swapped and it has a water dish. I can't recall if mine came with a water dish or not, but I rarely need cooling so it doesn't matter to me. The specs are probably the same or close enough. Mine is a 5-amp and so is the new one.

The only real difference between mine and the new one is my changing the knobs for the tool rests, I added better knobs to mine.

The Ryobi is only 3-amp, so it might seem a bit under-powered for some stuff. Plus it doesn't have variable speed, which after using it on mine I doubt I could go to single-speed. Being able to adjust for difference projects is a great ability to have

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

How do you like that Delta? I've been thinking about buying that, seems like it's the best bang for your buck. The Ryobi is cheaper but also underpowered by comparison.

They don't make bench grinders anything near like they used to, just like everything else. Consider looking for an older US-made grinder off of Craigs would be my suggestion. I've scored nice ones for as little as $15. I've currently got 3 Craftsman block grinders similar to the one pictured, plus an older Dayton, all gotten on the cheap. My newer Delta now collects dust, and I gave away the Ryobi that the wife bought me a couple of Black Fridays back.

a4a-vintage-6-craftsman-1-4hp-block-bench-grinder-397-19571-sears-roebuck-8b44417d9179eb2f9247ec8016a39e2f.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparky603 said:

They don't make bench grinders anything near like they used to, just like everything else. Consider looking for an older US-made grinder off of Craigs would be my suggestion. I've scored nice ones for as little as $15. I've currently got 3 Craftsman block grinders similar to the one pictured, plus an older Dayton, all gotten on the cheap. My newer Delta now collects dust, and I gave away the Ryobi that the wife bought me a couple of Black Fridays back.

I've been looking, they're all the HF stuff or other lower-end stuff at $20-$30 off...then the occasional belt driven grinder. Seems everything between is just not hit this area.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...