need advice using Dewalt DCD771 with spade bit

Thursday

Hi all,

new here and new and clueless about power tools in general.  Need some help, please!

I got me an almost new Dewalt 20V drill, DCD771.  Worked fine for small stuff like hanging curtain rails.  Now I am trying to drill a 6 inch hole in a wood stump, 20mm diameter (a little less than 2in).  I'm using the 20m spade bit that came with the log splitter I'm trying to install that requires the hole.  The drill runs for a bit and then stops completely, as if the battery is dead.  When I first started drilling it was running for quite a while, I managed to make a couple of holes an inch or so deep.  Now it quits almost right away, less than a minute, as if the battery is dead.  Won't turn over even when not in the wood.  The battery pack sometimes flashes as if charging on the charger, but sometimes seems to be charged.  I have two battery packs that I'm using, one brand new, one almost brand new.  So my guess is that I am doing something wrong and upsetting my drill somehow.  

Advice, please?  What am I doing wrong?  

thanks in advance!

Hi there, could you explain further what the battery is making the charger do when you put it on the charger? What does the flashing light indicate according to the diagram on the charger? Does it flash indicating it is too hot? That could be the cause right there, those are pretty big holes to be drilling a lot of and maybe you overheated the batteries?

Kruton,

I tried with a 1/2 spiral bit, the largest one I have.  It did great for a while, made a big hole, but then eventually stopped as well.

KnarlyCarl, I haven't seen the charger flash the hot/cold sequence, it either flashes a single light to indicate that needs charging, or if the battery pack sat for a while while I charged the other one, when I put it on the charger the light is solid, as if it's charged.

so the theory that I'm overheating the battery or somehow hitting the load limit makes sense to me.  But I still need to drill that hole, what should I do?  do it little by little, drill until it stops and then let it rest for a while, or will that damage the drill?  Any other tips or tricks?

sorry, you're right, it is about 13/16in spade bit

That's the marketing snippet about the drill:

The DCD771C2 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Compact Drill/Driver is also compact and lightweight, designed to fit into tight areas. This drill/driver offers a high performance motor that delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power ability, which allows for a wide range of applications. This unit also features a high speed transmission that delivers 2 speeds (0-450 & 1,500 rpm) for a range of fastening and drilling applications. 

Should that be ok to use with the 13/16 spade bit you think?  Just take long time?

2 hours ago, Thursday said:

Should that be ok to use with the 13/16 spade bit you think?  Just take long time?

Looking at that drill on Home Depot's site, that bit into a stump is most definitely taxing that drill too much. Now that you're down an inch or so into it, you've got more of the bit in contact with the wood, thus more resistance, and the drill doesn't like it. Also, spade bits aren't very good at clearing chips.

Definitely a bit much for that compact drill. If I'm not mistaken that is the smallest drill DeWalt makes. If you can buy or borrow a corded drill or a larger cordless drill you will be better off. You don't want to kill this drill buy drilling an almost 1" hole 6" deep. 

I haven't  seen one of the most critical pieces of info, which gear are you trying to drill in. With a bit like that I suggest the slowest gear it has. Another thing to do is to drill a pilot hole so it has an easier time trying to go in a straight line. Look at the tip of your bit and look at the sharp point. Use a bit just a little smaller than the point. It will probably be about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch or 3 MM or so. drill it the full depth needed for that hole, even if it means going and getting a new bit that is long enough. After that drill your hole using light pressure, don't be leaning hard on the drill to drive it through the wood.

I haven't  seen one of the most critical pieces of info, which gear are you trying to drill in. With a bit like that I suggest the slowest gear it has. Another thing to do is to drill a pilot hole so it has an easier time trying to go in a straight line. Look at the tip of your bit and look at the sharp point. Use a bit just a little smaller than the point. It will probably be about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch or 3 MM or so. drill it the full depth needed for that hole, even if it means going and getting a new bit that is long enough. After that drill your hole using light pressure, don't be leaning hard on the drill to drive it through the wood.

Good point!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have bought the used drill because of this reason someone else had the same problem and got a new one. As for the drilling problem drill a bout 1/4" in with the large bit drill reat with small bit in stages until you get to the large size. 

A few good points being made here already:

• A spade bit doesn't clear chips, so isn't good for deep holes, a ship auger would be better
  • That's a big, hard hole for a low-end drill - probably borrow an electric
  • Definitely stick to first speed
  • DO NOT predrill a hole any bigger than about 4mm when trying to use a spade bit, because it's incredibly hard to control them if the front spike isn't in the timber. Best not to bother...

thanks all!  after torturing my poor cordless a bit more, I finally wised up and borrowed a big corded drill.  went in like butter.  hopefully I didn't permanently damaged my cordless.

thanks for the advice, I'm such a newb that I have no idea what is too much for which drill, I had this stupid notion that all drills are the same :)