Deck staining project

rrich1

In the middle of staining my deck. Here is what I have done so far. With rain all day yesterday I went be able to stain again until at least tomorrow.

Process so far:

1. Spray with Benjamin Moore deck cleaner

2. Scrub and pressure wash

3. Fix any screws

4. Sand with 150 grit with my orbital sander

5. Sand with 220 grit with my orbital sander

6. Took off railing and boards by the house and stained them brown

7. Painted the railings white (2 coats)

8. First coat of brown is on

I plan to finish the first coat tomorrow as well as putting the second coat of what I have already done.

The white is Sherwin Williams siding stain in extra white (white trim is extra white paint). The brown is moonlit mahogany Cabot Gold.

Wife and I are loving how it is time ing out so far. Hopefully finish pics will be up sometime next week.

b1bc2dd5ce5dd13316434162ee6f8832.jpg

ddd5fa0fd6145963cbffebf9c2053211.jpg

510cd4aeb3b97c8c702024e521ce4367.jpg

a1cc8a22ef2ab0c2fcec84be56c645e1.jpg

ae5760e5bd7374e0087e2c7df251f993.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

looking good, when your done pack up everything and plan a road trip...I need the same thing done.......

I tried to prep the beat I could so I wouldn't have to do this again for a while. Lol

It is actually going better than I was thinking. I initially started with a brush for the white but moved to pads instead and it helped go faster. The worst part is going to be filling in all the screw holes on the deck itself so it is all brown.

Looks great.  I love Cabot Gold - it's 3x as expensive as some of the other all in one stains that you can get, but it's the best stuff I've ever used.

What are you using to fill the screw holes?

I didn't feel it was expensive at all. Lowes had $10 rebate per Gallon not long ago making it $35 a gallon.

I didnt fill any of the holes. I thought about it but after the second coat it did a pretty good job of keeping them from being an eye sore.

Some updates pics from today. I was able to get a second coat on the first side as well as getting the first coat on the other side. With early weekend shifts I won't be able to get back to it until Monday.

Off topic: don't ever ever ever buy yellow frog tape. I know it is supposed to be low adhesion but it is absolutely worthless tape.

150dc6d06376baefde6dbb74ffd39ffb.jpg

f3e61f38f7403370be3f707954082559.jpg

85c8db96f0b2529e05a2c694df62875f.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks. It is supposed to rain the next few days so I am going to try and. Just out the second coat of brown on the south side before I go to work today. Otherwise it wouldn't be until probably Wed at the earliest. That's a whole lot of difference when it says to wait a week before heavy traffic. The furniture and other pieces are in my garage spot. I want my garage spot back! Lol.

Well the past few days have been good. I have it basically finished. Rails, caps, and bottom post molding have all been added along with the outer and center boards. It needs one more coat on the bottom and a few more touch ups but other wise done. The wife and I are very happy with how it turned out. Now to see how long it will hold up. I will wait until at least Sunday to out any furniture on.

9b596031fdbb86209679dc417b542880.jpg

ae512876af66ea932bb16c36ae6249b1.jpg

a541f01f4688462602a499707c599e28.jpg

• Like 2

This turned out well, I bet it looks amazing in person, I think it even matches the house...? I wouldn't know, anything i dress my son in never matches according to my wife lol... I have plans for putting a deck on the one side of our house.... Right after the 65 other projects are completed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This turned out well, I bet it looks amazing in person, I think it even matches the house...? I wouldn't know, anything i dress my son in never matches according to my wife lol... I have plans for putting a deck on the one side of our house.... Right after the 65 other projects are completed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks. The white on the deck is Sherwin Williams stain and the white on the house is Sherwin Williams paint. It is close but the deck is brighter. Also a year younger too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On July 20, 2016 at 0:04 AM, rrich1 said:

Thanks. The white on the deck is Sherwin Williams stain and the white on the house is Sherwin Williams paint. It is close but the deck is brighter. Also a year younger too.

I am trying this stain on our front porch, back porch, and split rail and black weld wire fence.  Your deck looks great and goes great with the color of your house!  What color is the house and what type of siding, I really like it a lot and trying to talk my wife into a color like it.  I am following tha way you did your deck, have pressur washed it and now doing some sanding before I apply the first coat. Will try some before and after pics. and post them! Again fantastic job!

I am trying this stain on our front porch, back porch, and split rail and black weld wire fence.  Your deck looks great and goes great with the color of your house!  What color is the house and what type of siding, I really like it a lot and trying to talk my wife into a color like it.  I am following tha way you did your deck, have pressur washed it and now doing some sanding before I apply the first coat. Will try some before and after pics. and post them! Again fantastic job!

Thanks! The house color is old Navy from Benjamin Moore. The siding is cedar. If you search you should be able to find my thread of me painting my house.

I would love to see pics of your progress on your deck. And everyone loves my house color. A few people were unsure at firat but they love it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Thanks! The house color is old Navy from Benjamin Moore. The siding is cedar. If you search you should be able to find my thread of me painting my house.

I would love to see pics of your progress on your deck. And everyone loves my house color. A few people were unsure at firat but they love it.

I will look it up and will put the pictures up as I get started.  I am hopeful that the fence matching both porches will look good.  

On 8/5/2016 at 2:06 AM, Geo said:

I will look it up and will put the pictures up as I get started.  I am hopeful that the fence matching both porches will look good.  

Hey if you remember to come back and show us your work, that would be super!

Can't go wrong with Sherwin Williams, pretty impressive results whenever I use their stuff. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...