Makita Cordless Angle Grinders

HandLogger

Wow!  We've owned Makita cordless/corded tools for years, but I was never aware of a forum like this one, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here.

At present we would like to replace the cordless angle grinder that came with the 15-piece set that marked our first foray into a Makita cordless tool "inventory."  If anyone would care to list the present Makita cordless angle grinders on the market and, hopefully, share some thoughts on their favorite, I'd be much obliged.  

You see, Makita USA has their angle grinders under an "other" category called "More Cordless" and, quite frankly, it's very difficult to make a list of, much less compare, their angle grinders.

Thanks for your time,

HL 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Red. Glad to have you here. I actually have the brushless Makita 18v angle grinder, I'm a woodworker, not a metal worker but everybody that has had one of these loves them. I love mine too, I just don't do anything outside of restoration work in a DiY capacity at the house or the barn. This machine is way more than I need so I think it's pretty slick...

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=XAG03Z

• Like 1

I ordered the makita 1 4.0 bat kit from toolbarn, the damn thing vibrates way too much. Might just use it as a cutoff tool.

I've got a metabo that i scored for 155$ (now its 139$ darn) that has very minimal vibration.

20 hours ago, pancing said:

I ordered the makita 1 4.0 bat kit from toolbarn, the damn thing vibrates way too much. Might just use it as a cutoff tool.

I've got a metabo that i scored for 155$ (now its 139$ darn) that has very minimal vibration.

Did you try a multiple wheels on it?  Ive noticed at times different cheapie grinding wheels will vibrate more than others.

I use the brushless grinder a fair amount and dont notice excessive vibration.

25 minutes ago, mtnkid85 said:

Did you try a multiple wheels on it?  Ive noticed at times different cheapie grinding wheels will vibrate more than others.

I use the brushless grinder a fair amount and dont notice excessive vibration.

I use it as a cutoff tool, even without a load it vibrates like crazy.

I can put the cordless metabo down on a table while its on and it doesnt rattle or skip about.

I put the makita down on a table and it will bounce to the other side in a few seconds.

I've tried, norton wheels, cheapie dewalt wheels and metabo cutall and original slicers the makita disc that came with it blew up within seconds of me cutting rebar with it, luckily I was using a shield and it disintigrated no big chunks dug into my skin.

4 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Sounds like something is really wrong with that grinder.  Only time I feel vibration is with wire wheels cause those tend to be pretty unbalanced.

Yeah, i really don't want to RMA it to Toolbarn, it took them almost 15 days for this thing to get here.

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I haven't used mine yet, used my Milwaukee quite q bit and haven't had any vibration, when ocean for the Makita I'll post here

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that mean?

4 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Sounds like something is really wrong with that grinder.  Only time I feel vibration is with wire wheels cause those tend to be pretty unbalanced.

Yes, that's definitely a bad grinder. Only time i've felt bad vibration is when I misjudge a cut and tear a chunk out one side of the wheel and that throws the balance off. Hope you can get this resolved easily, do you think you will go through Makita warranty, or return it?

• Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 10:54 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes, that's definitely a bad grinder. Only time i've felt bad vibration is when I misjudge a cut and tear a chunk out one side of the wheel and that throws the balance off. Hope you can get this resolved easily, do you think you will go through Makita warranty, or return it?

I talked to makita and they want me to return it to toolbarn ugh

On July 23, 2016 at 8:53 PM, pancing said:

Yeah, i really don't want to RMA it to Toolbarn, it took them almost 15 days for this thing to get here.

15 days is less than the amount you have left to live with it sitting on your work bench while it taunts you and threatens to seriously hurt you. You keep the turd, toolbarn and Makita make money for nothing. You send it back, they still make money, and have a happy customer with positive word-of-mouth to spread. A properly working tool is worth the wait man. If you explain what a huge inconvenience it is for you they might even make it worth your while. 

43 minutes ago, Bremon said:

15 days is less than the amount you have left to live with it sitting on your work bench while it taunts you and threatens to seriously hurt you. You keep the turd, toolbarn and Makita make money for nothing. You send it back, they still make money, and have a happy customer with positive word-of-mouth to spread. A properly working tool is worth the wait man. If you explain what a huge inconvenience it is for you they might even make it worth your while. 

Yeah i like my hands ive really ignored safety for years and i consider myself lucky i still have everything. Ill talk to tool barn tommorow and see what they say.