How hard to drill

38 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Shit bit=hard to drill, halfway decent bit should go like butter.

This. Good drill bits can be expensive but they are totally worth the $100-$150 /set entry price.

I also like to spray a little WD-40 on my bit before I drill through metal, there are better lubricants but it's what I have plenty of and it works.

55 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

This. Good drill bits can be expensive but they are totally worth the $100-$150 /set entry price.

I also like to spray a little WD-40 on my bit before I drill through metal, there are better lubricants but it's what I have plenty of and it works.

Yep. If you aren't doing a ton you should just grab a $8 jobber bit instead of dumping over a hundred on a full index. For one or two holes the DeWalt gold and black oxide bits will work alright.

• Like 1

Yea if your drilling in steel regularly invest in some cobalt bits, but for occasional use your fine with middle of the road bits form major brands just don't expect the but that you used to have a long life.

I like putting a wood block under metal when drilling, sometimes when the drill bit breaks through it will catch and can distort the metal or try to rip the drill out of your hand...block of wood behind it prevents that.

If they are small holes you can use a much larger drill bit to clean up the hole(if the metal is thick enough), otherwise you need countersink bits or a file and some patience. Basically with the drill bit you just want to take off the burr and make a tiny bevel(larger if you want to recess the fastener obviously), literally it takes about 1 second of trigger with little to no pressure on the hole. Careful with the drill bit, if it catches it will just make more work for you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BMack37 said:

I like putting a wood block under metal when drilling, sometimes when the drill bit breaks through it will catch and can distort the metal or try to rip the drill out of your hand...block of wood behind it prevents that.

If they are small holes you can use a much larger drill bit to clean up the hole(if the metal is thick enough), otherwise you need countersink bits or a file and some patience. Basically with the drill bit you just want to take off the burr and make a tiny bevel(larger if you want to recess the fastener obviously), literally it takes about 1 second of trigger with little to no pressure on the hole. Careful with the drill bit, if it catches it will just make more work for you.

Great advice if your drill doesn't have a safety handle!