60V Expansion

dilloncorr

16 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

.... You're right, no benefit here that I can see:

And that is superior to a chainsaw how? I mean it's faster than a sawzall I'll give it that, but again...it's benefits and disadvantages, just more disadvantages than benefits. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

And that is superior to a chainsaw how? I mean it's faster than a sawzall I'll give it that, but again...it's benefits and disadvantages, just more disadvantages than benefits. 

I think a sawzall might be faster.

With the blades being more than 10x the price of a sawzall blade I wouldn't touch wood with one of those.

8 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I think a sawzall might be faster.

With the blades being more than 10x the price of a sawzall blade I wouldn't touch wood with one of those.

Depends on the species of lumber and if it's pressure treated or not, and it's also heartwood. Might be twice as fast as a sawzall (non orbital and cordless), no telling without direct comparison.  

For me it's a no for blade wear. The majority of that blade wouldn't see much action because it's so long and everything close to the body would dull quickly where a chainsaw wears evenly always and can easily be sharpened by comparison. Blade changes seem awkward as well, they should have engineered a quick release IMO.  

On 8/20/2016 at 10:07 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Depends on the species of lumber and if it's pressure treated or not, and it's also heartwood. Might be twice as fast as a sawzall (non orbital and cordless), no telling without direct comparison.  

For me it's a no for blade wear. The majority of that blade wouldn't see much action because it's so long and everything close to the body would dull quickly where a chainsaw wears evenly always and can easily be sharpened by comparison. Blade changes seem awkward as well, they should have engineered a quick release IMO.  

As Americans we love to look at other stuff, point our finger and tell folks what is wrong. I look at that saw and see it is a form of reciprocating saw and that it has a blade more like a hand saw than a Sawzall. I can't tell you what blades are available for it, what kind of stroke length it has or what kind of speed it has. I would guess that it easier to cut straight than a Sawzall and I think it would be easier to get the blade angle where you want for a cut. I can see where that saw would have a place in timber framing and probably give cleaner cuts than a chainsaw for log homes.

Have you used the 20V? not sure there is much need for a higher voltage?

On another note... not sure how CPO and other websites can pre-order saying they will ship 8/23... and then tell me yesterday we are atleast another week out... drives me nuts!!!!!!

Any one else heard any new about the availability of the 60V SDS? My company is in the market for a SDSMax, and a couple plusses, but there has to be a dust extraction option. We have a Hilti which is great but ungodly expensive. The Extractor for the 20V looked like a more feasible ($) option. (assuming this will fit)

http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/dust-management/dust-extractors-and-vacs/dust-extractor-for-1-20v-max-sds-hammer/d25303dh

• Like 1