Battery powered fan

lordbaal

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Sounds like your between a rock and a hard place dude. I have bought batteries on eBay several times but buy them through reputable dealers but it is a viable option if money is a concern. If it's not, and your not tied to a battery line I would just say screw it, go 5.0 and get the Milwaukee with the option of the power cord which is shared by the much less expensive Ryobi fan. You get your startup kit and fan at HD and buy back ups on eBay. As far as work site fans go I've given you my two cents but I can only tell you what I've heard, I don't use one in my shop. I would say that the guys here have given some great insight for you though!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Hybrid-Portable-Fan-Tool-Only-P3320/205022215

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery-and-IntelliPort-Charger-Upgrade-Kit-P128/203466924

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-Compact-Lithium-Plus-and-Charger-Kit-2-Pack-P109-117/204100851

Regardless. It's a battery option and run time will always be a problem but purchasing some high cap second hand batteries on eBay will save you some serious coin and you can sit in fanned delight while you ponder which beer you should drink while listening to the deafening sound of silence and the light hum of battery powered cooling while you wait for your hard working linemen to get you power restored :)

The that charger charges the high cap battery? Like these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-High-Capacity-LITHIUM-Battery-2-Pack-P122/204321540

Think I may go with Ridgid. It has 200 more CFM then Ryobi. More CFM will be more airflow.

1 hour ago, lordbaal said:

The that charger charges the high cap battery? Like these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-High-Capacity-LITHIUM-Battery-2-Pack-P122/204321540

Think I may go with Ridgid. It has 200 more CFM then Ryobi. More CFM will be more airflow.

Yep your fine with that charger on high capacity packs the charge time will just be longer.

The Ridgid fan is ridiculous! Very impressed, good construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely going with the Ridgid. 

In my office, I have a Vornado V102 in my office. It has 1550 RPM & 516 CFM's.

So 263 CFM on the Ryobi will be too low.

My local HD doesn't have it. Either have to have it shipped to store or my house. But they do have the batteries.

How can something have a higher RPM, but a slower CFM? Cause a different Vornado has 2000 RPM, but only 236 CFM. Or does CFM have to do with the size of the unit itself.

• Like 1

The cfm has more factors than just the fan rpm, has to do either fan blades, size of the fan, the cage, air directors...

Think of a really big fan, it moves more air at lower rpms than a small desk fan at high rpms

Jimbo

• Like 1

With the batteries.

18-Volt Lithium-Ion 5.0Ah Battery

18-Volt 5.0 Hour Hyper Lithium-Ion Battery
18-Volt 4.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery

18-Volt 4 Amp Hour Hyper Lithium-Ion Battery

What's the difference between the Hyper Lithium-Ion, and the regular Lithium-Ion

And what's the difference between the 4.0, and 5.0? I know more run time, but how much. 

I wish they would give me a wattage. Then I can see how long it will last.

And the fan should give me a wattage draw.

I know there's a way to find out, but I don't know how to do that math. 

Amp hours is a good indicator for run time. Voltage x amp hours = watt hours. You'll get approximately 25% more run time with the 5.0, but as amp hours go up, it's not linear. A low-ish draw tool like a fan won't put huge strain on the cells like a circular saw so your run time could be more than a 25% increase. No idea what "hyper" is. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just new branding for their gen5x stuff.

And, as Jimbo explained, cfm has many factors more than just rpm. Look at some blowers for instance that get more "mph" air by having a small spread, while another blower with a larger tube will have more cfm.

22 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Amp hours is a good indicator for run time. Voltage x amp hours = watt hours. You'll get approximately 25% more run time with the 5.0, but as amp hours go up, it's not linear. A low-ish draw tool like a fan won't put huge strain on the cells like a circular saw so your run time could be more than a 25% increase. No idea what "hyper" is. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just new branding for their gen5x stuff.

And, as Jimbo explained, cfm has many factors more than just rpm. Look at some blowers for instance that get more "mph" air by having a small spread, while another blower with a larger tube will have more cfm.

So from what I read, the Ridgid draws 12 watts on high. So with the 5.0, that would be 7.5 hours on high.

With 4.0, that would be 6 hours on low.

So I may just go with the 4.0 battery then. The 4ah is 2 for $100. The 5ah is 1 for $100.

It's not worth an extra $50 for an extra 1.5 hours. So all together with the 4ah, I'm getting 12 hours, for the same price as 7.5 hours.

And what you saying is, CFM won't tell me how strong the fan is. And the Ryobi can actually be stronger the Ridgid.

Guess they's only one way to tell, buy both of them to test them, just return the less powerful one.

I just did an unscientific test with my Vornado. I took off the grill, stood in one spot.

Put the grill back on, stood in the same spot. I could feel more airflow with the grill, then without.

"newer battery cell" What does that even mean?

"Newer" cells meaning they are a stronger cell than previous generations of batteries, metabo is well known for improving their battery packs, with TTI it's more than likely just a marketing scheme but they are said to charge faster and have more run time than their previous generation cells

Jimbo

7 minutes ago, lordbaal said:

So from what I read, the Ridgid draws 12 watts on high. So with the 5.0, that would be 7.5 hours on high.

With 4.0, that would be 6 hours on low.

So I may just go with the 4.0 battery then. The 4ah is 2 for $100. The 5ah is 1 for $100.

It's not worth an extra $50 for an extra 1.5 hours. So all together with the 4ah, I'm getting 12 hours, for the same price as 7.5 hours.

And what you saying is, CFM won't tell me how strong the fan is. And the Ryobi can actually be stronger the Ridgid.

Guess they's only one way to tell, buy both of them to test them, just return the less powerful one.

I just did an unscientific test with my Vornado. I took off the grill, stood in one spot.

Put the grill back on, stood in the same spot. I could feel more airflow with the grill, then without.

CFM is the true amount of volume a fan moves. MPH is the one that's misleading. It's like a gas engine; there's no replacement for displacement. CFM is the total among of air your fan moves in a minute. Higher is better. 

It it looks like you're making a good choice with the 4.0s. 

Your vornado test likely proves what I was saying before, you feel like you get more airflow with a smaller opening because it forces air through a more confined space, yet it's possible you're actually getting less, and the higher cfm is just more diffused with the grill off. In the case of these fans I don't think enough air is moved to lose any cfm grill on or off. 

For what you need it for I would say the standard batteries will last you ages as is. 

I suppose CFM could be likened to horsepower. It's the maximum amount of air your fan will move. Presumably it would last longer than a fan doing lower cfm, if both are pushing the same amount of air (maybe Ryobi on high vs Ridgid on medium?). A fan with less CFM won't move as much air/ keep you as cool as one with more. Sort of like half ton truck and a 3/4 ton each hauling 1500 lbs in the box. The half ton will do it, but it won't like it. The 3/4 will do it with ease, and can do more. 

Guys here's a simple explanation... It's like psi vs gpm on a water line, small line can have 200 psi but only flow 100 gpm, go to a larger line you can have lower psi (rpm in this case) and higher gpm (cfm in this case) based on the larger hose. You can get more water or air through a larger opening at lower velocity than a smaller opening with higher velocity

Jimbo

• Like 1

Home Depot does not make sense.

They have a 4.0ah high capacity battery. 1 is $99. A 2 pack, same exact battery, the same price. 

Who would buy just 1, when they can get the 2 pack for exactly the same price.

It's a limited run promotion

Jimbo

8 hours ago, lordbaal said:

They have a 4.0ah high capacity battery. 1 is $99. A 2 pack, same exact battery, the same price. 

Home Depot doesn't pay much attention to pricing on old models unless they're doing a sale so things like this are pretty common during sales.  Often a new model of tool will be cheaper than the old model.

I've noticed several listings on their site like that, for instance, they had the m12 fuel hackzall for $129 and another page the same hackzall and battery for the same price. Watch the pages and comb through them to find these types of deals

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just went to HD and gotten the Ryobi. They didn't have the Ridgid, had to have it shipped to store. It takes another 3 day. But UPS, USPS, FedEx, always seem to miss the first and second delivery. 99% of the time I get a not that says we attempted delivery. But yet on the time they put in, I'm home. I don't think that they even tried to deliver it. They just write out the note and put it on the door.

Or else they knock so lightly, I can't hear them.

Anyway, I test them out with a plug. And just return the weaker one.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2016 at 10:07 PM, JimboS1ice said:

Guys here's a simple explanation... It's like psi vs gpm on a water line, small line can have 200 psi but only flow 100 gpm, go to a larger line you can have lower psi (rpm in this case) and higher gpm (cfm in this case) based on the larger hose. You can get more water or air through a larger opening at lower velocity than a smaller opening with higher velocity

Jimbo

Technically speaking, that's not always the case. 

Say the connector is 1 inch, and only does 200gfm. You put a half inch hose(once you get it to fit), it will do less.

But if you put a 2 inch hose. You would still get 200. Eve if you put a 2 inch nozel on it. Because the machine was only made to do 200.

But in this case we are going by stated cfm from manufacturers and even if they're within 10% you still know what will move the most air. CFM is CFM. We are at the part of the equation that comes after the "=", we don't need to theorize what the initial values were that lead us there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, olletsocmit said:

I have had my eye on one of these Milwaukee fans for a while now is it powerful. when I compared my small plug-in one to this it looks like my plug-in generated five times more air?

The Ryobi have just 5 less CFM(hardly noticeable), cheaper, and the batteries are cheaper. And batteries last longer.

That's why I wasn't even considering Milwaukee.