M18 Fuel Miter finally up on HD site...

JerryNY

38 minutes ago, lunicy said:

got mine today too.

Nice.

IMG_3192.JPGIt was fun setting it up. For some reason I thought it was coming with a 40t blade but it came with 60t. I'm trying to decide if I should return the 60t diablo and get an 80t diablo and keep the standard Milwaukee blade, which seems decent enough, for less important stuff.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bremon said:

The stock blade is supposedly quite nice (for once). How do you like that stand? Looks stylish 

The stand is nice. It's a little on the heavy side but seems very sturdy. It's super easy to deploy and the roller extensions have a pretty good span.

I have to say that even with limited use today the shadow line light works really really well. Overall the saw is nice and lightweight, easy to adjust and easy to use. The pair of 9 Ah batteries are BIG lol too.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2016 at 10:30 PM, JerryNY said:

Sure having the corded option is nice but how much differnce will it be having two 9 amp batteries rotating off the quick charger in reality? I can't think of any usage scenario where you would run out of juice on the 9Ah battery before the second one was charged on the quick charger. If you have that much miter saw work planned you probably aren't looking at a portable battery powered miter saw solution anyway and neither the flexvolt or the fuel miter makes much sense.

Unlike the flexvolt though you can also use any of the older m18 batteries you already have on hand if you'd like. That and you only need one battery, unlike the flexvolt. 

The main difference is that you would not have to use the battery when you don't need to. All batteries have a limited number of charges before they fail, therefore the less you use them; the longer they will last which is good considering how expensive they are.

1 hour ago, Cheng Liu said:

The main difference is that you would not have to use the battery when you don't need to. All batteries have a limited number of charges before they fail, therefore the less you use them; the longer they will last which is good considering how expensive they are.

All very true but then why not just buy the corded Dewalt saw and forgo the flexvolt altogether? The Flexvolt Miter requires two expensive limited lifespan batteries to work off the cord so you might as well save money. In the end the Fuel and Flexvolt are in different classes. The Fuel is smaller lighter 10" which prob is better if you need a portable miter to work, maybe up a ladder, off battery exclusively all day on one battery that probably can handle 98% of the jobs you'd need a miter saw for. The Flexvolt is a full sized saw that offers flexibility to be on battery or mains but you get a heavier more bulky saw,  but it's worth it if you need the full sized for sure. It all depends on what you need. 

Everyone always rattles off how expensive FlexVolt is but everywhere I see the prices are about the same for a 2 pack of 2.0/6.0 FlexVolt as a 2 pack of M18 5.0, and cheaper than a single 9.0. There are always deals to be had when you shop different kits etc. but the "it takes two batteries!!" shtick is a nonstarter cost wise. Charge time however is a different story with limited plugs/chargers.  

• Like 1

Maybe but I paid $540 with two 9.0 batteries for the Fuel miter and the 9.0 battery is currently $169 on HD and currently the largest flexvolt is only 6Ah and is $149 singly.  I haven't seen pricing of a two pack of 9's.

Those costs aside you don't have to buy any batteries at all for the Fuel if you already are on the M18 platform. The Flexvolt saw requires two identical flexvolt batteries to function.

It's not so much that two batteries is draconian on a tool it's just an annoyance that you have to tie up two batteries and they'd better both be the same charge level. That and the dual charger for the Flexvolt seems very slow, one reviewer said it took over 2-1/2 hours to charge the pair. The Milwaukee you could throw a 5.0 on the saw if you only have one 9 or just rotate them if you have a pair. To rotate batteries on a flexvolt miter you have to do it with four batteries. It's just inconvenient and you have to lug around more stuff; not the end of the world but annoying.

• Like 2

Says on the rapid charger 12V ~4.5A & 18V~6A. The problem with Dewalt's, and other dual battery chargers for dual battery tools, is charging two high capacity lithium ion batteries on one charger is the pretty high amp draw on the circuit. They probably didn't want to push it with the 10+amps on a charger plugged into you outlet. It's one thing to have circular saws, miter saws or other tools tripping the breaker but to have a charger trip the breaker might be a bridge too far.

• Like 1

Also the Fuel is 45lbs vs the Flex's 56lbs and the M18 9.0 battery is only slightly heavier at around 2.4 lbs than the felxvlolt 6.0 at 2.3 lbs but you need two which puts the Flexvolt well over 60 and the Fuel is still well under 50 with the 9 on it.

• Like 2

Canada is getting hit real hard on these miter saws from both DeWalt and Milwaukee

Milwaukee is selling for $899.00 with extra 9.0ah battery currently the corded 12" version is on sale for $499

and DeWalt a whopping $1099

20161020_130704.jpg

17 minutes ago, comp56 said:

Canada is getting hit real hard on these miter saws from both DeWalt and Milwaukee

Milwaukee is selling for $899.00 with extra 9.0ah battery currently the corded 12" version is on sale for $499

and DeWalt a whopping $1099

20161020_130704.jpg

Sounds like it's time for a road trip south of the border.

Different saws. Dewalt= framing. Milwaukee = finish. On my current job the crew has the dws780 out for framing and deck sleepers. When it's time to do the trim, fascia,freezes, and mahogany decking out comes the hitach 10" slider. As soon as I have fully tested my new milwaukee 2734 I may buy another to replace the crews aging Hitachi. Batteries will last at least 3 years(warranty). Hopefully longer. 

5 minutes ago, khariV said:

Sounds like it's time for a road trip south of the border.

na, I have the 12" Milwaukee stationary miter and that is more miter saw than I need already...lol

22 hours ago, JerryNY said:

All very true but then why not just buy the corded Dewalt saw and forgo the flexvolt altogether? The Flexvolt Miter requires two expensive limited lifespan batteries to work off the cord so you might as well save money. In the end the Fuel and Flexvolt are in different classes. The Fuel is smaller lighter 10" which prob is better if you need a portable miter to work, maybe up a ladder, off battery exclusively all day on one battery that probably can handle 98% of the jobs you'd need a miter saw for. The Flexvolt is a full sized saw that offers flexibility to be on battery or mains but you get a heavier more bulky saw,  but it's worth it if you need the full sized for sure. It all depends on what you need. 

All I'm saying is that it would have been nice if Milwaukee had made their miter saw hybrid as well. I can't imagine it would add that much more bulk to it. That way you don't need a separate corded and cordless miter saw.

22 minutes ago, Cheng Liu said:

All I'm saying is that it would have been nice if Milwaukee had made their miter saw hybrid as well. I can't imagine it would add that much more bulk to it. That way you don't need a separate corded and cordless miter saw.

Yeah no doubt it would be nice but not quite as simple to do as on Dewalt's flexvolt. They made it 120v for a reason. In theory you could make an adapter for any cordless tool but I think Dewalt made the Flexvolt a 2x60v = 120 setup so it essentially is a custom add on for the saw and the saw only, they don't want you getting any ideas to try to use it on any other tools, and eliminates inefficiencies etc.  If Milwaukee, or any other cordless tool maker for that matter, wants to they can make a converter that simply clicks into the tools battery slot. The problem is companies make so much on the batteries hey don't want to. The flexvolt miter could hurt battery sales for dewalt but then again they will make up for it because those that want to will have to buy two packs at a time to use it cordlessly...

23 hours ago, JerryNY said:

Yeah no doubt it would be nice but not quite as simple to do as on Dewalt's flexvolt. They made it 120v for a reason. In theory you could make an adapter for any cordless tool but I think Dewalt made the Flexvolt a 2x60v = 120 setup so it essentially is a custom add on for the saw and the saw only, they don't want you getting any ideas to try to use it on any other tools, and eliminates inefficiencies etc.  If Milwaukee, or any other cordless tool maker for that matter, wants to they can make a converter that simply clicks into the tools battery slot. The problem is companies make so much on the batteries hey don't want to. The flexvolt miter could hurt battery sales for dewalt but then again they will make up for it because those that want to will have to buy two packs at a time to use it cordlessly...

Who said anything about a converter? Could they not just make a male plug that you can plug the female end of an extension cord into? The picture below shows what I mean on the Ryobi worklight. The left is where you can plug in the female end of an extension cord and the right hole is where the battery goes. I imagine they place the holes next to each other so that only one can be plugged in at a time.

Ryobi WL.PNG

The light is doing conversion internally, you don't magically convert 120v ac to 18vdc. The very low amp draw of an led light is easier than a high amp tool also. The Flexvolt uses 120v ac to 120v dc but many reviewers state that they felt the saw is more powerful off the batteries than the mains, probably because they use capacitors to smooth out the line voltage and you often don't have 120v exactly out of your wall socket. A Milwaukee fuel miter would need to convert 120v ac for a high amp 18v motor which is doable but it isn't as simple as plugging in an extension cord.

• 1 month later...