Flexvolt circular saw!!!!!!!!!

DooDar

5 hours ago, 2448jman said:

If the Flexvolt was 60v at 9.0 amp hours instead of 2.0 in a package the size of the current flexvolt, would it be gameover for high demand m18 tools until an m54 comes out?

Might as well put it on a back pack it would be so big because I  don't see that happening with the tech available at this time

13 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Might as well put it on a back pack it would be so big because I  don't see that happening with the tech available at this time

It was a what if scenario and I said it was same size as current flexvolt battery. I suppose a super fast charger would need to be designed so it don't take all day to charge or just design a battery that uses more advanced technology than lithium ion.

3 hours ago, 2448jman said:

It was a what if scenario and I said it was same size as current flexvolt battery. I suppose a super fast charger would need to be designed so it don't take all day to charge or just design a battery that uses more advanced technology than lithium ion.

The charge time is just one problem. The size required for a 9 AH 60v pack would be roughly 5x the size of the current battery. Next try to imagine how to get the heat out of all those cells under load. I'm pretty sure that sort of power is going to require a significant advance in density before it sees the light of day. 

Realistically the M18 HD9.0 and the FlexVolt 3.0/9.0 are using same principle: more cells = more current draw = more work/power. They are wired differently but the watt hours are the same. The Dewalt pack is even bigger physically to achieve higher discharge rates. Thank god for rapid chargers. 

9 hours ago, 2448jman said:

If the Flexvolt was 60v at 9.0 amp hours instead of 2.0 in a package the size of the current flexvolt, would it be gameover for high demand m18 tools until an m54 comes out?

Well in terms of stored energy one would have 162 watt hours while the other has 486 watt hours. It's a hypothetical that is analogous to saying what if GM could put out a V8 Silverado with 1095 horsepower and 1260 lb/ft of torque at the same runtime, or same specs w triple the fuel economy; would F150 ecoboost be in trouble? Yes. Undoubtedly, but in both cases it's physically impossible to achieve that while keeping the same form factor. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2016 at 6:17 PM, rossi7x said:

Plunge Saw will be October this year DooDar, so you'll be spending sooner than you think...

October is even better!!! I need the Plung saw more than the circ saw.

Is there any others coming in October rossi7x  ? 

7 hours ago, khariV said:

The charge time is just one problem. The size required for a 9 AH 60v pack would be roughly 5x the size of the current battery. Next try to imagine how to get the heat out of all those cells under load. I'm pretty sure that sort of power is going to require a significant advance in density before it sees the light of day. 

I thought higher voltages heat up less quickly than lower voltages and a reason being they are more efficient?

On 18/9/2016 at 0:40 AM, DooDar said:

You cant say that and not give a little more info??? What is coming out in October???? You say in Europe is that all Europe?

I know that in Denmark we will see dcs778 a 250mm mitersaw.. that is what I know 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wildroamer said:

I want a 10" 120v cordless/corded table saw, please...

I am hanging on and waiting to see if dewalt bring one out! That is the only reason I have not bought the 60v one!! 

There has got to be more things to come on the 120 v side of the flexvolt system. It would be odd to only have the 12" miter saw. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm still puzzled what they were thinking with the 60v one in the first place. 

If I was to guess I would think they were worried about price points on the new system, and overwhelming people with the need for a monstrous amount of batteries off the hop. I don't really know though. The hybrid option adds a decent chunk to the cost from my understanding; maybe easier to sink that cost into an expensive mitre to start with. Just guesswork on my part of course. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bremon said:

If I was to guess I would think they were worried about price points on the new system, and overwhelming people with the need for a monstrous amount of batteries off the hop. I don't really know though. The hybrid option adds a decent chunk to the cost from my understanding; maybe easier to sink that cost into an expensive mitre to start with. Just guesswork on my part of course. 

DCS778 also in Germany

larger cutting capacity

max. cutting specs

90/90 deg = 305x85 mm (270x60mm in comparision to DCS777)

90/45 deg = 305x58 mm 

45/90 deg = 215x85 mm 

45/45 = 215x 30 mm 

sawblade is 250x 30

17,2 kg compared to 14kg of DCS777

cheers

mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bremon said:

I think that might be the case but the cordless miter with just an adapter and no batteries is only $50 more than their normal top of the line miter saw. Definitely worth it for a cordless option down the line.

1 minute ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I think that might be the case but the cordless miter with just an adapter and no batteries is only $50 more than their normal top of the line miter saw. Definitely worth it for a cordless option down the line.

This is my thoughts as well. They've broken down that argument, it only makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

The adapter isn't much more than a grounded cord that covers the mains from my understanding. The actual conversion is done in the machine and is probably more expensive than that. 

600px-Diode_bridge_smoothing.svg.png

Here's the conversion done in the machine.  It's actually less complicated than it looks ... only two components and under $10 for good ones at low quantity.  Don't even need a transformer since the battery is the same voltage as mains.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Don't forget the filter Capacitors to smooth out the ripple. Nothing worse than pulsating DC. Unless that NO contact is supposed to be the Cap, then carry on!

84c75963a857190bbfaeb918a0f1d31f.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL  They're both different kinds of capacitors for us electrical engineers.  Isn't it nice when almost every squiggly line has some meaning.

• Like 2