How do you treat your tools?

olletsocmit

Haha yeah looks pretty good. but on the same note, you are probably way more organized and careful with things, and do what you think you should. I don't think it's necessary to wear safety glasses when cooking in the kitchen, but who am I to stop someone from doing so

Hahahah. The kitchen part was hilarious just made my bad day a good one
  • Like 1

I'm pretty careful with my tools, though i have older ones that i still use that still work very well, they're beat to shit i keep buying new tools to make sure i have working stuff when those die but they just wont die. But when im at work and I use company tools i beat the hell out of those. But tools are meant to be used and abused not babied. A good tool is one thats beat to hell and still works 100% regardless of condition

On 9/13/2016 at 10:03 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Haha yeah looks pretty good. but on the same note, you are probably way more organized and careful with things, and do what you think you should. I don't think it's necessary to wear safety glasses when cooking in the kitchen, but who am I to stop someone from doing so

I wear safety glasses in the kitchen when im frying and wearing contacts, a drop of super hot oil on your cornea and you're on your way to the ER because you wont be able to see out of that eye.

• Like 1

With my tools I know their limitations but I dont mother them the only time I clean my tools is if something oily or very dusty then I clean them. What I hate is getting my chainsaw covered in sitka spruce resin all over it is a real pain to clean it is so sticky the same with Monkey trees.

But when it comes to my old Stanley bench planes I keep them clean and oiled mostly to prevent rust etc.

3 hours ago, pancing said:

I wear safety glasses in the kitchen when im frying and wearing contacts, a drop of super hot oil on your cornea and you're on your way to the ER because you wont be able to see out of that eye.

I've heard of people going completely blind because fumes from solvents fused their contacts.  It's incredible how hazardous they can be.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I've heard of people going completely blind because fumes from solvents fused their contacts.  It's incredible how hazardous they can be.

yeah i dont wear my contacts when working with any sort of chemical esp acetone, thinner or epoxy removers.

2 hours ago, StrippedScrew said:

With my tools I know their limitations but I dont mother them the only time I clean my tools is if something oily or very dusty then I clean them. What I hate is getting my chainsaw covered in sitka spruce resin all over it is a real pain to clean it is so sticky the same with Monkey trees.

But when it comes to my old Stanley bench planes I keep them clean and oiled mostly to prevent rust etc.

WHen i lived in oklahoma I took real good care of my axes and my chainsaw, dusted the air filters cleaned out the compartment and took it apart, good ole stihl chainsaw's dont need much care but mines been around for a good long time.

1 hour ago, pancing said:

WHen i lived in oklahoma I took real good care of my axes and my chainsaw, dusted the air filters cleaned out the compartment and took it apart, good ole stihl chainsaw's dont need much care but mines been around for a good long time.

Yeah they are great saws I was petting a 661 today at the dealers ;D

I have historically not been good with my tools, but this year I have been good. I have treated more than a few with Evaporust and gotten them "in action" again. 

My power tools get wiped off and the batteries taken out of them in storage. Usually only my Milwaukee Rotary Tool gets filthy. I try to keep it clean. A can of compressed air would probably help it last longer.

I am sort of inbetween. I don't baby my tools but I use them as tools. 

For my power an hand tools I just wipe them down. When I have spare time I will do that. If a tool gets really greasy or muddy I toss it aside in my truck then clean it later before going in the box. That way I don't go to the next job making a mess. 

My engine drive welder I maintain according to manufacture recommendations.  At the same time I run it max duty cycle when needed. 

• Like 1

I only have the white "Milwaukee" logo left on a few of my tools, just the stuff I haven't used a lot. For my m12 drill I got a wild hair and decided to use a silver sharpie to color it, seems to hold up pretty well.

I used the white inkzall paint pen on my m12 fuel impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2016 at 5:58 PM, Fletcher94 said:

I am sort of inbetween. I don't baby my tools but I use them as tools. 

For my power an hand tools I just wipe them down. When I have spare time I will do that. If a tool gets really greasy or muddy I toss it aside in my truck then clean it later before going in the box. That way I don't go to the next job making a mess. 

My engine drive welder I maintain according to manufacture recommendations.  At the same time I run it max duty cycle when needed. 

Yup. The Kohler on the company Lincoln I run was struggling to start and ran rough. I think I was the first person to service it since it was bought and it's an old 10,000 arc welder which I don't think they've made for a few years.