Hybrid Workbench Build

tugnut1

This looks very promising, I wish I had the space, but it's an older small building and I think I would need to make the casters different heights to match the floor profile lol!!!

That edge banding nice, i remember when I was younger and saw my Dad do that for the first time, thought that was so cool!!

I always chicken out with that, I guess I get scared when you need to iron it on lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys that its been a while since I updated this thread.  I have my bench completed now and I love love love it.  Let me catch you up to speed.  

I tackled the drawer option with this bench and I am glad that I did.  I first started off by adding a divider to make it look like a face frame.  I used some spacers and clamps to make it flush with the front and the same height on both sides.  Pocket hole in the back.

1.jpg

I happened to buy some clamps and rails that fit the dog holes and put them to use making the drawers.  More pocket holes.

2.jpg

I used the drawer glide jig to install the glides.  It worked really well on the outside of the drawer, but working from the floor made the inside of the cabinet install a little difficult.

3.jpg

Here is a shot with both drawers made before the drawer faces were put on.

4.jpg

Full extension drawer with fronts.

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Final build.  I have to take a picture of the unit with the epoxy top coat I added, but here is what it looks like without it.

5.jpg

• Like 6

[emoji106][emoji106]. Awesome. I just made room in my shop. When should I expect delivery? Don't worry about the beer opener, I can add that when it gets here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling that the shipping costs are going to be huge.[emoji13]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

One last set of pictures for this post.  I finished the top of the bench by rolling on 4 coats of West System epoxy.  I was pretty nervous about using it, but I needed to make the plywood top more solid and protect it from chipping.  I'm extremely happy with the results.  If I was good at it, I could have had a surface that looked like glass, but for Pete sake, its just a work bench.  LOL.

20161004_171728_resized.jpg20161004_171802_resized.jpg20161004_171814_resized.jpg

• Like 1

The finish looks really nice!!!

The whole workbench looks nice!!

Shiny !!!! You might have to wear your sunglasses when working on the workbench. 

Alright lets see some projects off of the workbench now.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LarryS said:

The finish looks really nice!!!

The whole workbench looks nice!!

Shiny !!!! You might have to wear your sunglasses when working on the workbench. 

Alright lets see some projects off of the workbench now.  :rolleyes: 

Hello Larry.  I am making some Rockler knife sets right now for my dad and son.  I will also be making some custom gift boxes for them to live in.  I just made a spline jig to help me with the boxes.  I hope to start them this weekend, so we should see some more stuff soon.  Thanks for the compliments brother.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tugnut1 said:

Hello Larry.  I am making some Rockler knife sets right now for my dad and son.  I will also be making some custom gift boxes for them to live in.  I just made a spline jig to help me with the boxes.  I hope to start them this weekend, so we should see some more stuff soon.  Thanks for the compliments brother.

Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your projects!!