Circular saw blades! ...what's the best / what do you use?

olletsocmit

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2016 at 0:09 AM, rrich1 said:

I use Freud industrial blades. Have a few Diablo s for the cordless circular saw. I have never heard a bad thing about makita saw blades. Actually they seem to be highly praised fr people who use them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The only Makita blades I've used were the gold ones (soccer something another) and black ones, after torching 3 of each on one decking project I came to the firm conclusion they were both equally SHIT. I believe they were supplied by the local Makita event. So there you go. I'm pretty sure that store still has a supply of them left over, and that was 3 years ago. 

So I got this Dewalt 40 tooth blade for half price while back. I was using the regular 24 tooth Diablo for a while. I ran a couple 2 x 4 cuts with my 24T diable and then and then switched to the 40T Dewalt and honestly I didn't notice a difference... I was super surprised I didn't notice a difference. Will I only notice when cutting plywood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86de494790bef324baf4fbd9a27f2519.jpg

46 minutes ago, Surfer (aka Nalu) said:

Any word yet on when the new Diablo Tracking Point/Tip blades are coming out? Went to HD the other day and couldn't find them.

They have been out for some time, actually seen them at home depot the one time I went there for a warranty on s Ryobi..... I can't go there often since it's an hour away. They were doing the 2 pack for like $10

4 hours ago, Surfer (aka Nalu) said:

Any word yet on when the new Diablo Tracking Point/Tip blades are coming out? Went to HD the other day and couldn't find them.

My home depot has them. Heres the link so you can check yours. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-7-1-4-in-x-24-Teeth-Tracking-Point-Framing-Saw-Blade-D0724R/100008676

Also some old demo blades have the tracking points even though its not marked on the blade. A pack of blades I bought ~4 years ago had them.

• 2 weeks later...
So I got this Dewalt 40 tooth blade for half price while back. I was using the regular 24 tooth Diablo for a while. I ran a couple 2 x 4 cuts with my 24T diable and then and then switched to the 40T Dewalt and honestly I didn't notice a difference... I was super surprised I didn't notice a difference. Will I only notice when cutting plywood?

86de494790bef324baf4fbd9a27f2519.jpg

So is it weird that I didn't notice any difference between the 40 tooth Dewalt and My 24 tooth Diablo? I was going to buy a 40 tooth Diablo but don't know if it's worth it since I already have a Dewalt one, didn't want to buy the Diablo and then not notice a difference either... and waste the money. I know Diablo is not like the only blade out there but I shop at Home Depot so that's what I get.

Has anyone here used the 40T Diablo and also the 40T Dewalt? Maybe I was just over expecting a much different cut.. who know thou.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:34 PM, olletsocmit said:

So is it weird that I didn't notice any difference between the 40 tooth Dewalt and My 24 tooth Diablo? I was going to buy a 40 tooth Diablo but don't know if it's worth it since I already have a Dewalt one, didn't want to buy the Diablo and then not notice a difference either... and waste the money. I know Diablo is not like the only blade out there but I shop at Home Depot so that's what I get.

Has anyone here used the 40T Diablo and also the 40T Dewalt? Maybe I was just over expecting a much different cut.. who know thou.

It really is dependent on what you're cutting and how you're cutting it to see a real difference. I've compared the Diablo 24t(newest trackingpoint models) and 40t Diablo though on my Fuel 7-1/4" and my observations are as follows:

The 24t cross cuts easier and quicker but it cuts smooth enough as it is that the 40t is not crazy smoother in soft wood like pine but the 40 does tear out less and it does have a bit smoother edge. For rips the 40t feels much more likely to bog down and burn the wood a bit. I ripped some hard maple and needed a really smooth cut with minimal tear out making a cut on a painted maple kitchen cabinet to custom fit a range top and the 40t needed to take its time and burned the edge a little which wasn't a huge deal at all because it was hidden but what I couldn't afford was any chips and it did a great job. I needed to rip down some 2x4x8's  at some point and forgot I left the 40t blade on it and actually caused the the 5.0 battery on the fuel to kick into overheat protection and shut down 6ft down the board, never had that happen before. The 24t ripped MUCH easier in the same situation and didn't overheat the battery. The 40t was probably having trouble clearing the sawdust with the smaller gullets and more teeth. I think the fuel being brushless it will power through and not get too bogged down in most situations at the expense of more draw on the battery. In most cases you probably won't notice this but ripping long boards it is more likely to show itself.

I've been looking into the world of circular saw blades because of some upcoming products and my new Fuel 10" miter and I do wonder how much marketing plays in all this blade tooth count because you have to consider a few things. Tooth count should be irrelevant because it really should be tooth per inch like a jig saw blade. The travel of the circumference of the blade and how many teeth cut through the material per inch of travel is really what matters.  When you think about it a 7 1/4" saw blade has a circumference of about 22.75" which means a 40t and 24t blades will have 1.76 and 1.05 teeth per inch respectively. A fine finish 12" blade on a miter has a circumference of 37.7" and with 60t gives you about 1.59 teeth per inch, slightly worse than the 40t 7 1/4". Heck I have an ancient little Ryobi 5 3/8" with a Diablo 36t blade and on such a tiny circumference it has 2.13 teeth per inch and it does give a super clean cut. Now you even have these combination blades that have different configurations and less teeth that supposedly give great cuts so teeth count apparently isn't the end all be all.

• Like 1

Hey Guys, try using either the CMT ITK Industrial 7-1/4 x 24T x 5/8" Framing & Decking Blade, ****4 Star-Best Quality 250.024.07 or CMT Contractor ITK-Plus 7 1/4" x 24T x 5/8" Fast Framing Blade, ***3 Star-Better Quality P07024 blades.  They cut better and last longer than anything you may buy in the big box stores.  Good Luck!