The next generation of tool users.

PutnamEco

I'm wondering if the next generation of power tool users is intimidated by larger more powerful power tools. Could this be what is causing the trend towards all these downsized tools and the lack of the tool manufacturers catering to those of us who really rely on our tools for serious work to be shortchanged in the advancement of larger more powerful tools?

I think there needs to be a new focus on the larger more powerful professional tools,because as you say all the advances seem to be at 10.8v level on battery tools when some of us want some high grade 36v, 48v or more 10ah or above monsters for big tough jobs that really can keep up with all day job site use.

I don't think it's that. The theme of...well, the whole world seems to be about getting more from less. The cost of the higher voltage tools narrows the market considerably. Take the Milwaukee 0726-22 M28 Hammer drill kit for example. At nearly $500 for a 6.5 pound tool delivering 750 in/lbs. of torque it's hard to pass up a $300 M18 model delivering 725 in/lbs. and weighing a 1.5 lbs. less. I think most manufacturers realize this which is way we've seen most of their higher voltage efforts devoted to outdoor power equipment. Cutting out Exxon seems like a more worthy goal than cutting the cord, at the moment at least. I would like to see some higher voltage stationary tools, but I think in time hand held tools will become more and more impractical in a higher voltage. As with most all 18V tools Circular saws are way better than they used to be. The power is there, the runtime will come.

I don't think it's that. The theme of...well, the whole world seems to be about getting more from less. The cost of the higher voltage tools narrows the market considerably. Take the Milwaukee 0726-22 M28 Hammer drill kit for example. At nearly $500 for a 6.5 pound tool delivering 750 in/lbs. of torque it's hard to pass up a $300 M18 model delivering 725 in/lbs. and weighing a 1.5 lbs. less. I think most manufacturers realize this which is way we've seen most of their higher voltage efforts devoted to outdoor power equipment. Cutting out Exxon seems like a more worthy goal than cutting the cord, at the moment at least. I would like to see some higher voltage stationary tools, but I think in time hand held tools will become more and more impractical in a higher voltage. As with most all 18V tools Circular saws are way better than they used to be. The power is there, the runtime will come.

The Milwaukee M28 has not really been updated other that a slight modification over the V28 tool to accommodate the newer battery. This is one of my chief complaints. I can just imagine how much better it would be with a brush less motor and some 4 Ah batteries. I had to go with Hilti for my big circular saw a few years ago because only they had high amp (3.9 Ah) battery even back then. It still kicks butt over any 18v tool in both power and runtime. I won't even consider ripping any 2x wood with an 18v tool while my Hilti will take care of it with almost as much ease as a corded saw.