Hitachi's newest impact driver...WH18DBDL2 (3 impacting anvils?)

aabee

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/us/main-navigation/tools?category=/tools/new-products/new-cordless&title=WH18DBDL2++18V+Lithium+Ion+Brushless+Triple+Hammer+Impact+Driver

This looks like an absolute beast. IP56 rated, 1,832in-lbs of torque, 0-4,000 BPM, up to 2,900 RPM *and* 3 impacting anvils?

Needless to say, I hope this is the start of some more of their top-tier products released over here. Those specs are amazing.

The original DBDL model was really ahead of its time when it was released back in 2011 with its brushless motor and electronically controlled torque/speed/light settings and is still one of the better impacts on the market IMO...looks to be the same with this.

Most air impact wrenches use two independent hammers so there's one impact per rotation.  Cordless impact drivers and wrenches use what I guess Hitachi is calling two anvils so there's two less powerful impacts per rotation.  Now Hitachi has three so there's three even less powerful impacts per rotation?  And decreased the RPM to compensate?  At least that's what it looks like from the specs?  1832 in-lbs is on the high end of torque whereas 4000 BPM higher than anything else and 2900 RPM is down below most budget impact drivers.

For comparison of specs

Hitachi: 1832 in-lb, 2900 RPM, 4000 IPM

Makita TD170: 1549 in-lb, 3,600 RPM, 3,800 IPM

M18 Fuel: 1800 in-lb, 3000 RPM, 3700 IPM

Dewalt DCF887: 1825 in-lb 3250 RPM, 3600 IPM

Ridgid gen5x: 2,250 in-lb

Ryobi: 1600 in-lb, 3200 RPM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Most air impact wrenches use two independent hammers so there's one impact per rotation.  Cordless impact drivers and wrenches use what I guess Hitachi is calling two anvils so there's two less powerful impacts per rotation.  Now Hitachi has three so there's three even less powerful impacts per rotation?  And decreased the RPM to compensate?  At least that's what it looks like from the specs?  1832 in-lbs is on the high end of torque whereas 4000 BPM higher than anything else and 2900 RPM is down below most budget impact drivers.

For comparison of specs

Hitachi: 1832 in-lb, 2900 RPM, 4000 IPM

Makita TD170: 1549 in-lb, 3,600 RPM, 3,800 IPM

M18 Fuel: 1800 in-lb, 3000 RPM, 3700 IPM

Dewalt DCF887: 1825 in-lb 3250 RPM, 3600 IPM

Ridgid gen5x: 2,250 in-lb

Ryobi: 1600 in-lb, 3200 RPM

2900RPM below most budget impact drivers? I think that's an exaggeration. It's equal to Gen 1 FUEL, and higher than the Dewalt DCF886,  Makita DTD145, Bosch and Metabo's best. 

We (oztooltalk) just gave their first BL IP56 impact driver top of the heap (against DCF887, DTD170 and FUEL Gen2), and I suspect this will perform even better.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dwain said:

2900RPM below most budget impact drivers? I think that's an exaggeration. It's equal to Gen 1 FUEL, and higher than the Dewalt DCF886,  Makita DTD145, Bosch and Metabo's best. 

We (oztooltalk) just gave their first BL IP56 impact driver top of the heap (against DCF887, DTD170 and FUEL Gen2), and I suspect this will perform even better.

That was a terrific video; very thorough. Hitachi really comes off as a wild card compared to other brands (at least in the US, where we don't receive anywhere near as many of their premium offerings). Their brand is well-regarded and they come out with some overall solid products, sometimes settle into a tier that's lower than the Big 3 (or 4 if you include Bosch), and then suddenly release a class-leading product from completely out of nowhere. In the US, they're like a Porter-Cable in some ways with the potential to come out with products that exceed everyone else.

thanks aabee. I haven't played with enough of their range to know, but I kinda feel similarly at the moment.

Over in Aus it seems to be Milwaukee and Makita clear top 2, and Dewalt and Bosch clearly making up the top 4. But American's favour US brands, Europeans favour German brands etc etc.

Wow rereading that I came off as more of an ass than usual.  I'm not saying I think it's a bad design choice, just that I'm not sure what else is going on behind those specs to bring out the power.  I'm glad to get schooled on the specs of impact drivers since my examples weren't exactly extensive.  I still think it's a pretty low RPM for a high end impact though.  I wish I could edit that post with more stats.  This lack of edit is killing me.

5 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

than anything else and 2900 RPM is down below most budget impact drivers.

2 hours ago, dwain said:

2900RPM below most budget impact drivers? I think that's an exaggeration. 

Regardless of weather or not this information is correct, you may not have read the sentence correctly, but from what I see, Jeff meant to imply that the 2900 rpm is simply below others, not that it is that much below... Anyways, just working that out in head...

Wow rereading that I came off as more of an ass than usual.  I'm not saying I think it's a bad design choice, just that I'm not sure what else is going on behind those specs to bring out the power.  I'm glad to get schooled on the specs of impact drivers since my examples weren't exactly extensive.  I still think it's a pretty low RPM for a high end impact though.  I wish I could edit that post with more stats.  This lack of edit is killing me.

You come off as an ass?? Nah lol just kidding always appreciate your comments on things dude, keep em coming!

But you make a point, we see time and again though paper stats don't really mean much until the tool gets out to work, look at Makita rated lower in torque and it's still one of the faster impacts out there and ridgid just lies and blots their numbers.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha, no assery jeff ;) But certainly the models you listed off are not 'budget' tools! :P

I'm always trying to convince people that no-load RPM isnt what counts, it's what RPM it can MAINTAIN under load. Speed without the torque to back it up is meaningless.

It's hard to imagine that, regardless of the on-paper specs, they wouldn't have improved their premium driver. And if they have, it'll be one helluva driver.

Took me watching that video three times to get what the big deal is.  Look at 0:35 the hammer is skipping positions.  That means more time for it to speed up and a higher energy impact while running at a higher speed.  Skipping positions means they can stick more anvils in there to increase power transferred by the mechanism.  Now that's a great idea.  I'm excited.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Took me watching that video three times to get what the big deal is.  Look at 0:35 the hammer is skipping positions.  That means more time for it to speed up and a higher energy impact while running at a higher speed.  Skipping positions means they can stick more anvils in there to increase power transferred by the mechanism.  Now that's a great idea.  I'm excited.

That`s really cool :)