Working the new Lathe

Foneguy

49 minutes ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

Oh cool! Thank You for sharing, I see One-Way has some  other jigs also, way cheaper sharping this way.  Even if one was to buy CBN wheel to put on the grinder. 

This is what I was originally looking at - https://www.amazon.com/TORMEK-T-4-Magnum-Package-Sharpening/dp/B00NO4QSFA

Yeah when I took my turning class last winter the guy teaching had one in the shop. He swore by it. Also had a really expensiveness 8" grinder by the the Rikon is supposed to be really good too!

• Like 1

I looked into several jig systems for sharpening wood turning tools and they are all pretty expensive in my mind.  I watched a lot of videos of free hand sharpening and knowing my way around a bench grinder and file I just started learning by trial and error.  The main thing is never let the heat build up to a point where the tip looses its temper, get the right angle and maintain the consistency. I made several mistakes in the beginning and still do at times, but have gotten better over the months.  A buddy of mine bought an expensive jig and regretted it later, not because of how it performed, but that he spent so much on a simple tool.  He told me I could borrow his and make the parts myself to save the money.  I never took him up on the offer after I started sharpening free hand.  Most of the time I can touch my gouges up with a few licks from a good file.  They seem to do pretty good like that.  Not saying I don't need a jig, but that is a lot of money for a few pieces of metal that still requires a certain amount of skill to get a sharp tool.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I've been thinking of getting one of these and a new grinder. Way cheaper.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/125676/oneway-wolverine-grinding-jig.aspx

That's what I got from woodcraft , along with a Rikon lol speed grinder ... works great