The wanted features game.

Jronman

I had an idea of a game where you name a tool. It can be any tool whether its pliers, a hammerdrill, or even a wide belt sander. It can be any tool you can think of. Then once you think of a tool you gotta think of a feature not currently in that tool from any company. Also please explain your wanted feature if its not very straight forward.

I suppose Ill start. I would like to see a health sensors on table saws. It would essentially tell the user blade life, motor status and determine if the belts are in good condition. You could just connect you phone to the saw via bluetooth and you get all the tool status via an app.

• Like 1

This sounds pretty awesome! 

First off to comment on what you'd like to see in a table saw, i believe that Bosch is half way there with their REAXX saw, its has software in the computer board controlling power and what not.  Now there would have to be a lot more added, especially sensors to determine the carbide on certain blades to show their health.  I could definitely see something like this in the distant future as long as the REAXX doesnt get put to bed by Saw Stop. A couple issues though could be the blades themselves, the blade would either have to be programmed by the user or pre programed which would add a premium to already expensive blades, limiting the brands you can use for a blade health indicator. Still would be cool!

As for what I would like to see? How about a cordless Belt sander, maybe in the Maktita line, they seem to lead the way in cordless wood working tools i.e. planer, plate jointer, ROS, a makita cordless router would be cool too but Ridgid beat them.

2 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I bet monitoring vibration of the saw could tell when some teeth are damaged pretty easily. Then again you can hear that with some experience.  Same experience that tells you to use the riving knife and not shove your hand in the blade.

I like the sensor ideas? But knowing good ol American Capitalism it will turn into a greed fest where blades become proprietary and ugh i can small the law suits already... wait a minute they're already in court! LOL

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Or a screw gun where you can turn impact on or off... all in one

actually makita has something like this. Its a drill, impact, hammer all in one. heres the link. https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XPT03

As for the blade health all you really need would to have a scan mode when you first instal the blade which would be a super powerful camera with great closeup capabilities and also has high speed camera capabilities. The blade would do a slow rotation so the camera can scan it then it will allow for normal use of the saw. When running the saw the camera could help determine if the blade is running like it should then every so often maybe every 50 to 100 times the saw gets turned on it will do the scan mode again to do a more in depth blade evaluation.

actually makita has something like this. Its a drill, impact, hammer all in one. heres the link. https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XPT03

As for the blade health all you really need would to have a scan mode when you first instal the blade which would be a super powerful camera with great closeup capabilities and also has high speed camera capabilities. The blade would do a slow rotation so the camera can scan it then it will allow for normal use of the saw. When running the saw the camera could help determine if the blade is running like it should then every so often maybe every 50 to 100 times the saw gets turned on it will do the scan mode again to do a more in depth blade evaluation.

Yea but I've heard the hammer mode is ridiculous excuse for percussions and feels like an anchor in your hand, and good luck getting one at a decent buck too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Speaking of impacts, an impact wrench/driver. Interchangeable 1/4" hex, 1/4" square and 3/8" drive.

Let's up the ante. Brushless High Torque Impact wrench. 3/4" female spline head with quick release ball detents via a sliding collar around the base. Five attachments. You can have 1/4" or 7/16" hex with 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 anvils (hog ring or detent pin) also available for the head. This has one key like functionality with torque you can dial in to +/- 10 ft/lb. Has potential for use with different attachments in the future such as torque multipliers.Your move Bosch think tank.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bremon said:

I can snap the heads off screws with a standard 1/4" impact driver. I dislike the size and weight of my 2763 as is. Sounds like a nightmare to use 1/4" on lol. 

They can make a whole line! High torque and compact, the compact Fuel impact wrenches from Milwaukee are very nicely sized.

Not really possible but hey we're dreaming: DMM with ESR functionality

I suppose I'll go again. I would like to see a digital fence for table saws, bandsaws, etc. Also a digital stop block system for miter saws. Essentially there would be a display telling the user the distance from blade. If user moves fence or stop block the display updates the distance. The user can also set a distance and push the fence/stop block close to the measurement they desire and the fence/stop block automatically precisely adjusts to correct distance then locks. Also in the miter saw version if you don't need a stop block especially for quick cuts you can just fold the stop block down so its not in the way.

I suppose I'll go again. I would like to see a digital fence for table saws, bandsaws, etc. Also a digital stop block system for miter saws. Essentially there would be a display telling the user the distance from blade. If user moves fence or stop block the display updates the distance. The user can also set a distance and push the fence/stop block close to the measurement they desire and the fence/stop block automatically precisely adjusts to correct distance then locks. Also in the miter saw version if you don't need a stop block especially for quick cuts you can just fold the stop block down so its not in the way.

There's a stop block system for miners, crazy expensive I've seen it on a kapex, wanna say it's run off of air maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, 2448jman said:

Duct tape one of these to your stop block and you're halfway there. https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/laser-measuring-glm-15-120449-p/

1 hour ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Duct tape one of these to your stop block and you're halfway there. https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/laser-measuring-glm-15-120449-p/

Hey you're on to something, I have that glm15 and it is precise to 1/16", too loose for finer work tho.... The only problem is you would have to take the kerf of the saw blade into consideration, as the laser would hit the main part of the blade, but not the teeth... Or just measure the stop block while resting the ldm against the teeth .... 

• Like 1

I'd like to see a battery that you don't have to worry about going bad in extreme temps. Charge it at below zero temps, no problem. use it at 100f no loss of battery health. Obviously super extreme temps like -20f and 120f wouldn't be covered. Should cover most people in the world unless your in the super cold part of northern countries, antarctica, high elevation, or near equator equator. I actually take my batteries inside when its really hot out just to ensure their life isn't reduced. Might be a little too careful but it's not a big hassle. I only got 2 batteries and 2 tools so far. 

Another thing that would be cool is to see cordless tools have full water and dust protection up to a meter or 2 should be sufficient and still function also have military grade impact resistance and shock resistance could be a nice bonus. Plumbers and electricians could really benefit from these tools cause they dont gotta worry about water damage or shock damage.

9 minutes ago, 2448jman said:

I'd like to see a battery that you don't have to worry about going bad in extreme temps. Charge it at below zero temps, no problem. use it at 100f no loss of battery health. Obviously super extreme temps like -20f and 120f wouldn't be covered. Should cover most people in the world unless your in the super cold part of northern countries, antarctica, high elevation, or near equator equator. I actually take my batteries inside when its really hot out just to ensure their life isn't reduced. Might be a little too careful but it's not a big hassle. I only got 2 batteries and 2 tools so far. 

Another thing that would be cool is to see cordless tools have full water and dust protection up to a meter or 2 should be sufficient and still function also have military grade impact resistance and shock resistance could be a nice bonus. Plumbers and electricians could really benefit from these tools cause they dont gotta worry about water damage or shock damage.

• Like 1