Dewalt 18V Batteries

PKDEWALT

I am sure with all the new flex volt battery talk and 20v dewalt batteries people are like who cares about the 18v batteries LOL. But I had a contractor who still has the 18v tools ask me a question the other day that I couldn't answer. He says he has been looking for the dc9180 battery but can't seem to find any and I told him to check ebay or the buy the dc1820 adapter but he thinks the adapter will be to bulky. But after a quick search on ebay I couldn't really find any of the dc9180 batteries new. I did find a person selling the newest dc9182 and he says it replaces the dc9180 but i thought it was replacing the dc9181. So question is are they phasing out the 18v lithium batteries or did dc9182 actually replace dc9180? 

They have adjusted the Lithium Ion batteries slightly and it wouldn't surprise me if they only have the DC9182s after every thing else is sold. At this point the only batteries they are showing on their website are the DC9182s and the DC9096s, I guess the only other batteries in the line come in kits at this point.

Don't write off the the adapter, I had the opportunity to handle an impact with one and the old DCD950 hammer drill and it was about as bulky as the old NiCad batteries with less weight. Where it deserves a look is how you purchase it at about $50 for a bare adapter or $150 for and adapter and 2 2.0 Amp hour batteries plus a charger, it is more cost effective than buying one DC9182 and a new charger that works with lithium batteries, plus the 20V MAX batteries are less expensive from there on out at $100 an 18V battery or $130 for 2 20V 3.0 Ah batteries. It also allows the opportunity to slide into the 20V max tools as old tools wear out instead of just jumping into them with a big purchase. If it is a tool that you are going to use once and a while and can't justify replacing it until it is worn out, the adapter might be the route to go.

The negatives to getting the adapter is it won't work with the 4 and 5 Ah batteries and it won't work in some of the compact drills and pretty much anything that has a cover type battery retainer like the vacuums.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Psssst...

20V Max is actually 18v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea yea here we go again lol but i am talking pod style batteries vs slide batteries and looking for answers for another contractor

4 hours ago, 2448jman said:

Only the compact packs are supposed to work. The 3.0 and higher shouldn't work from what I've heard. Only the 1.5 and 2.0 should work in them. I have never used one before so I don't know what actually works.

I have used the 4 and 5 ah batteries in the adapter and has worked fine i did notice that you won't get your full depth with the circular saw because battery hangs down. Maybe it has something to do with the higher amp hour not being good for the older 18v tools but I really not pushing my cordless tools real hard for long periods of time and I have double of all tools in 18v and 20v so if i burn up a older 18v tool it will be fine. One thing i haven't tried yet is is the new flex volt battery in the adapter guess its worth a try when i get home.

13 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Psssst...

20V Max is actually 18v.

Most of the world seems to know this, it is no secret, but it does make it easier to send the wife or a secretary to go pick a battery pack up and get the right thing, unlike some other brands. It is marketing but it is also idiot- proofing, because no matter how smart you think you are, somebody can outstupid you...

well at 100% charge I heard it outputs 20v but at low charge its only 18v. Not sure how true this is.

Fresh off the charger all 18v batteries are 20v but the second you pull the trigger it drops to 18v but in America the marketing rules are not as strict as Europe so they can market them as 20v so that's why dewalt a are called 20v max because the maximum they will ever be is 20v straight off a charger !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Dc9182 does replace it....I use the adapter at work on the18v brad gun...Dewalt is coming out with a 20v version soon,,,but the adapter is a little bulky...but if I owned a lot of older 18v tools I'd get it just for the newer batteries....we still have a few older drills in 18v ...( ya I know it's all 18v)  they still work,just not powerful.

But it does say that Dewalt makes a good tool to last this long....can't wait for the new tools coming,wish I knew when exactly...

2 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Dc9182 does replace it....I use the adapter at work on the18v brad gun...Dewalt is coming out with a 20v version soon,,,but the adapter is a little bulky...but if I owned a lot of older 18v tools I'd get it just for the newer batteries....we still have a few older drills in 18v ...( ya I know it's all 18v)  they still work,just not powerful.

But it does say that Dewalt makes a good tool to last this long....can't wait for the new tools coming,wish I knew when exactly...

new tools you say? Do you happen to know what any of the new tools are?