anyone dissapointed by flexvolt recip saw?

pancing

7 hours ago, kruton said:

I thought all Milwaukee fan boys were biased red users!emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I know a "Milwaukee fanboy" who claimed their tools were more powerful than Dewalt because they were red in color. Also claimed longer warranties meant longer lasting tools. He basically said because Milwaukee had a 5 year warranty their tools would last longer than Dewalt because Dewalt only had a 3 year warranty.

The only warranties IMO that are worth even mentioning are lifetime no questions asked warranties. The kind where you make a phone call or send a picture and get a replacement at no cost. Everything else is garbage no matter how many years are printed on the box. 

Milwaukee and Dewalt both make good, quality tools...but there are always exceptions to the rule. I've had rotten luck with Dewalt's 20v flood light, for instance. Got a unit that wouldn't turn on, sent it back for another and that one wouldn't stay on and would shut it's self off randomly. After taking it apart and figuring out it wasn't worth putting back together I put it in the trash and won't buy another one ever again, lesson learned. Other than that, I've bought a hundred Dewalt tools that work as intended even with ridiculous abuse. I don't love them all (looking at you 20v recip) but my experience along with my coworker with a similar lineup is very positive. My electrician is hardcore Milwaukee fan and he has equally good experience, he just complains about the expense of batteries. 

• Like 3

I never really noticed the sawzall stopping when I have used it but I did notice the stud and joist drill kinda pausing when I used it but always had plenty of power. I am a big fan of dewalt tools but in my opinion the 60V stuff is not what i thought it would be. A couple examples the stud and joist drill is just to bit to get into tight spots you can have all the power in the world but it does no good if you can't get the drill to fit in the tight spot. So i had to grab the Milwaukee hole hawg and it fit in the spot and drilled threw no problem. Another example is the sawzall for little jobs like cutting pvc pipe or cutting over your head the 60V is just to heavy compared to my 20v saw that I use all the time and not having the four position blade kinda sucks for me. Over all the 60v tools aren't bad but just don't work for all the jobs I do I guess I am taking on all the wrong jobs where I need to work in tight spots or over my head lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PKDEWALT said:

I never really noticed the sawzall stopping when I have used it but I did notice the stud and joist drill kinda pausing when I used it but always had plenty of power. I am a big fan of dewalt tools but in my opinion the 60V stuff is not what i thought it would be. A couple examples the stud and joist drill is just to bit to get into tight spots you can have all the power in the world but it does no good if you can't get the drill to fit in the tight spot. So i had to grab the Milwaukee hole hawg and it fit in the spot and drilled threw no problem. Another example is the sawzall for little jobs like cutting pvc pipe or cutting over your head the 60V is just to heavy compared to my 20v saw that I use all the time and not having the four position blade kinda sucks for me. Over all the 60v tools aren't bad but just don't work for all the jobs I do I guess I am taking on all the wrong jobs where I need to work in tight spots or over my head lol

Seems it would go all the same places the corded stud/joist drill would, and all the places a standard old school hole Hawg would. It's basically just a cordless version of those. What I've read is that the drill can basically fit anywhere the chuck can because the chuck sticks down the same distance as the body and a similar distance as the super Hawg. The Hawg has an advantage in that it can sort of hook in to place, but the disadvantage of being longer. 

12 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Seems it would go all the same places the corded stud/joist drill would, and all the places a standard old school hole Hawg would. It's basically just a cordless version of those. What I've read is that the drill can basically fit anywhere the chuck can because the chuck sticks down the same distance as the body and a similar distance as the super Hawg. The Hawg has an advantage in that it can sort of hook in to place, but the disadvantage of being longer. 

The dewalt stud and joist drill is definitely a lot wider than the hole hawg and the hole hawg you can also remove the top handle to get into tighter spots it has happen a lot where the dewalt just won't fit

5 hours ago, Bremon said:

The reciprocating saw definitely seems to be the dud of the bunch. 

Always has to be one...at least Dewalt is consistent and all of their recip's suck, but the stepping backwards is what I don't get. Universally good options like 4 way blade should never be removed. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bremon said:

Yep, wider, and the bail handle looks like it could be a real pain in the back side. The FlexVolt looks like it would be fantastic for mixing though. 

Lol that's what I've been saying all along, use it for mixing mud, but if they're trying to market it to me as a plumber, it's not going to be as useful as a smaller drill that I can use hole saws with, how fast do I really need to drill a hole. I still just use my fuel drills with hole saws, haven't decided if I want a bigger drill anyways, since the big hawg hole saws are incredible at making holes without trouble as it is.....

These cordless tools are starting to outrun the workers, but we only really need them to keep pace with us. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

Wait, they didn't put the premium 4 position blade holder on the new 60v saw? That is a savior on my 20v! Especially when doing demo work to get into the position I need. Don't know how I didn't catch that before.

Just my thoughts on this but does it not follow logic to suggest they kept a rafter hook, an adjustable shoe, and their awesome 4 way blade change off the tool to make the price more attractive??

8 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Just my thoughts on this but does it not follow logic to suggest they kept a rafter hook, an adjustable shoe, and their awesome 4 way blade change off the tool to make the price more attractive??

Yea maybe more attractive price but it makes you pretty mad when a option you always had in the past isn't there lol the first night I used the saw I needed the 4 position blade holder

• Like 2

On 9/27/2016 at 10:35 AM, Bremon said:

Pricepoint is pretty important though. If the recip was $300 CAD instead of 250 people would be that much angrier when it stalls and the battery rattles itself to death next to the $220 CAD M18 Fuel lol. 

Well only kind-of. All it has to do is be better than any other Dewalt available. I don't think anyone is going to buy into a new battery platform with Milwaukee just so they can save $50 on a tool to spend hundreds on batteries as well. What ecosystem you already have plays a part as well. 

Personally I won't be buying either, I have a corded Porter Cable Tiger Saw that's 20 years old that's better than any of this crap anyway. I love me some cordless but...firm pass for me on this one. 

...right? I've never been so happy to be myself, lol. That was getting frustrating. 

I don't know what it is about that old Tiger saw but it's the most comfortable recip I've ever used, it's a pleasure compared to others I've tried where I'm scared to close my mouth and knock my teeth out or roll my eyes to the back of their sockets. If it had just a bit more RPM it would be perfect but it tends to bind sometimes due to it's speed it seems, that's the only thing I can say about it that I don't love. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, the DeWalt reciprocating saw is one of their weakest tools.  The Milwaukee sawzall is one of their best and one of the best.  

I've gone through several DeWalt reciprocating saws.  Just killed another a couple days ago.  I bought a replacement.  Stood there looking at the flexvolt.  Then I picked it up.  It is heavy.  I didn't even notice the 4 way blade holder wasn't there.  I can't believe they left it off.  That is the only leg up, DeWalt has with reciprocating saws.

I'll stick with the 20v.

As for the video.  That's all it is - an internet video.  Next week someone will have a video of the exact opposite.