Good fitting spanners/wrenches

D W

I'm looking for a good set of spanners/wrenches that are tight fitting and was hoping some of you could provide some measurements and first hand experience.

I have a set of Stanley combination spanners but they don't fit too well and tend to round off the nut. The 13mm open end measures 13.21mm and 15mm measures 15.22mm.

I have a single Kincrome 13mm that measures 13.10mm. This spanner works very well. Some cheap store brand spanners I also have (ToolPro) are loose fitting also measure about +0.22mm greater with each size.

So perhaps +0.1mm is the magic mark for good fitting spanners. The cheaper brands (from 2 of my samples) seem to be upwards of +0.2mm, which results in a loose fit.

Can anyone provide a recommendation and measurements of some good fitting brands?

I assume top brands fit well but was hoping someone could provide some first hand evidence.

To help decide I have ordered a single spanner from 5 different brands so I will post measurements when they arrive (Sidchrome, Facom, Britool Expert, Gearwrench, Stahlwille, Teng).

Thanks

Edited by D W
add

I have Gearwrench and I don't have a rounding off issue, though I'd have to measure for you.

I wouldn't overlook Toptul, the pics and reviews I've seen are very impressive. The price is right, made in Taiwan, great seller too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPTUL-GPAN1201-13-pcs-75-Degree-Offset-Combination-Wrench-Set-Super-Cool-/122122285840?hash=item1c6f0e3310:g:ElkAAOSw8-tWYFtB

• Like 2

Toptul looks great, thanks for the link. I like the look of the similar Toptul super torque, Facom 440, Sidchrome 440, and Teng 8 series.

Ok, first order has arrived; A 15mm Gearwrench reversible ratchet spanner. The open end measures 15.20mm and it is loose fitting.

I don't think I've seen a single review mention the fit of spanners. Finish seems to be the most discussed, sometimes feel is mentioned but definitely nowhere near enough. 

The Sidchrome 440 pro series 15mm open end measures 15.14mm. The open end is anti-slip, so perhaps it requires a bit more of a loose fit. Regardless, it seems to fit quite well once it is 'locked' in. The box end fits extremely well!

I have no idea if the fit will be consistent in each range across all sizes. Perhaps a 15mm fits well, but a 13mm does not.