Tips on buying used shop machinery

WeldfabNeil

I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to inspect used tools. If you don't mind sharing, I would love to hear :) 

I plan on renting a shop space in two years or so. The bussniess end is a whole different topic so ile stick to tools on here. I am keeping eyes on classifieds, for deals. If I can save money getting tools now I can get started as soon as I get into a workable sized space with good electrical. Sooner I can get running sooner I get paid. Moving larger things twice will be a pain but I think it's worth it. Buying everything top of the line brand new would be great but your looking way more money then a start up bussniess.

I am looking at the following tools. Obviously I will have to prioritize what I buy with funds avaible an what comes up. 

- horizontal bandsaw

- drill press

- hydraulic press

- vertical mill 

- lathe

- tooling, all types

- hose reel

-vise/clamps

- blast cabinet 

-bench grinder 

-etc 

I plan on buying 3 welders, and air compreser new. A small cnc plasma table with another plasma cutter would be nice as well. 

• 1 month later...

well lots of different ways has it had more than one owner and how often did they maintenance it and down the line noises bearings service panels to look in and dirtyness . If you have any questions on a partiual machine just post a picture of it on here and i will see if i can help :) have a good one 

when it comes to lathes a lot of older lathes become one man machines, worn in from the practice of a user. if you find used equipment see if you can try/use them to see how they preform and not just by word of mouth, put it to your own test by actually machining something. If the seller refuses this request I would think twice.....this can go for quite a few different tools/machinery....

• Like 1

Just now, comp56 said:

when it comes to lathes a lot of older lathes become one man machines, worn in from the practice of a user. if you find used equipment see if you can try/use them to see how they preform and not just by word of mouth, put it to your own test by actually machining something. If the seller refuses this request I would think twice.....this can go for quite a few different tools/machinery....

i agree on that better to try it out :) 

Check the Lovejoy coupler between the motor and the pump on any hydraulic equipment. Some people who have hydraulic shop equipment on their hands like presses or ironworkers that are just trying to get rid of it and aren't familiar with them may write it off as broken. It is often just a case of a set screw or a new coupler. No big deal and you can talk them down in price for it not being functioning. Check where the leaks are. If they are on hoses and fittings you are fine. If it's around input shafts on pumps or on the housing talk them down more in price. Rebuilds on pumps are easy enough but aren't cheap or fun. Check lines for chaffing where they contact metal. A blown 3' hydraulic hose may cost up to $70 depending on your fittings and who you you have do the crimping. Check the zerkes. It would be nice if you could see how many pumps of grease they take before they pop out and how hard they take grease but chances are you won't get that opportunity. Old non CNC tools are getting liquidated heavily if they aren't already completely gone from most operations. Check auctions for these. What kind of power will you have access too? Three phase equipment is better and cheaper to acquire because the average guy only has single phase pulled into his shop. Wilton vises are nice. If you have the opportunity to get your hands on a vise with the anvil style horn on the back grab that as quickly as you can. I don't know why they don't seem to be made anymore because they are the best tool a guy could wish for.

Just my two cents.