Warranty question

AnonymousJoe

So my gen 2 hammer drill is only about a year old. Today I needed to drill thru a few studs and used my co-workers long 5/8 auger bit. Going thru 2 studs it struggled a bit and here comes the smoke. I was suprised especially with such a small hole. The drill still works and finished out the day with no other trouble but my question is if this is a concern and should I call Milwaukee?  Something obviously burned in there and I thought there's overload protection that's supposed to stop that from happening?  This is actually the second tool this week to do this too. I bought a the m18 grinder and was grinding four bolts off of a lamp post and it sat there smoking for a good 5 minutes. The grinder went back to HD but I love this drill so I'd like to figure this out

Usually the smoke is enamel insulation on the windings burning which can short windings now or at some later point, but it could also be some crud in the motor with a lower flash point.  Especially it being two tools that both still work suggests crud in the motor. No way to tell conslusively but to see if it fails or if you see burns on the motor.

• Like 1

I'd be more concerned with struggling to get through a stud.  My 2704 chews through stacked 2x4s without slowing down. 

In theory, if it's a year old, any enamel should have burned off by now, but I suppose it is possible that some sawdust or crud got inside of the motor.  Maybe try doing a quick torture test to see how it stands up and make a decision from there.

Like the others have said, its most likely the enamel.  You can always call Milwaukee directly and talk to their warranty department.  Beauty about Milwaukee is that they pay the freight on shipping to get your tool fixed through their E-Service tool repair.