m18 9.0

Jronman

The 10% code was a one time use personalized code for HD credit card users. 

Yeah the problem with the flexvolt miter is that in order to use it as a cordless you must use two batteries so if you want to rotate that's four identically charged batteries in the rotation at all times. That ain't cheap. Also the Milwaukee seems to get much better runtime on batteries and you can get two 9 amp batteries in the special with the kit and use any m18 battery in a pinch if you need to, but with two niners you prob could cut all day long and not even need the second battery. 

Don't get me wrong, the Dewalt looks like a nice miter if you want/need a 12" and want the flexibility of a cordless/corded operation but as a cordless it seems to have a few drawbacks like to use it as a dedicated cordless saw with extra batteries you're looking at nearly $1k outlay.

It might be a personal pet peeve of mine too but I kinda dislike dual battery setups. In theory they are ok but having to keep dual batteries for one tool means they prob should have just made one larger higher powered pack because you're gonna dedicate some packs to that tool anyway. That's just me though...

2 hours ago, JerryNY said:

It might be a personal pet peeve of mine too but I kinda dislike dual battery setups. In theory they are ok but having to keep dual batteries for one tool means they prob should have just made one larger higher powered pack because you're gonna dedicate some packs to that tool anyway. That's just me though...

I agree with this line of thinking, it's not something I want to have to worry about having to have 2 batteries ready to use instead of just 1

Festool makes a dual battery track saw that can run off one battery if you don't have the second one with you, don't have model no offhand..

HEY I found it!

• Like 1

2 FlexVolt batteries are cheaper than a 9.0 in Canada. The Dewalt looks like it has less deflection, especially at the fence, while the Fuel has potentially more runtime so I would argue the Fuel is better for framing and the FlexVolt is a better finishing saw, especially for large crown. 

• Like 1

have you ever used the dewalt dws780 ? Its got no soft start, underpowered, sticky slides, and only one rail has bearings. Its a good chop saw but medoicre slider. The dead spring is very high requiring a lot of force. That being said I own one. Its a gtreat framer. The flexivolt is just this saw with batteries. I highly doubt there is any problem with deflection, makita used the under rails for years along with the big milwaukee and these are some of the more true sliding saws. Most guys I work with consider the dws780 a crew saw or a framer.

3 hours ago, JerryNY said:

The 10% code was a one time use personalized code for HD credit card users. 

How this isn't common knowledge already is beyond me, but HD gives you 10% off just for asking the live chat customer service if you order online. No codes or HD CC's needed. 

17 minutes ago, glass said:

head spring not dead spring

The Fuel spring is no slouch if you browse hands-on opinions. I'll concede this argument though. Arguing the finer points of a mitre saw that isn't released yet makes little sense; when they are in the wild and in the hands of many we can argue the holy grail of cordless mitres again. Until I get hands on time with it I'll treat it with the skepticism I should have gave the nailers instead of following the prerelease hype. 

My fingers are crossed, I want this saw to kick serious ass. If Canada gets the 2x 9.0 deal the USA has and this saw delivers the goods I'll buy this one and the FlexVolt. The nailers flopping popped my "Milwaukee walks on water" balloon unfortunately lol. 

45 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

How this isn't common knowledge already is beyond me, but HD gives you 10% off just for asking the live chat customer service if you order online. No codes or HD CC's needed. 

Yeah forgot about that but like in store cashiers don't always give it up but often do.

10 minutes ago, Bremon said:

My fingers are crossed, I want this saw to kick serious ass. If Canada gets the 2x 9.0 deal the USA has and this saw delivers the goods I'll buy this one and the FlexVolt. The nailers flopping popped my "Milwaukee walks on water" balloon unfortunately lol. 

Have faith. I LOVE my 780 and have no issues that others have with the saw. It's one of those tools that literally make me a better carpenter because it's just that good. With the 780, the planer, 887 impact, and the 16g nailer I feel like I could do just about anything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glass said:

have you ever used the dewalt dws780 ? Its got no soft start, underpowered, sticky slides, and only one rail has bearings. Its a good chop saw but medoicre slider. The dead spring is very high requiring a lot of force. That being said I own one. Its a gtreat framer. The flexivolt is just this saw with batteries. I highly doubt there is any problem with deflection, makita used the under rails for years along with the big milwaukee and these are some of the more true sliding saws. Most guys I work with consider the dws780 a crew saw or a framer.

Workshop Addict is the only place I've seen that showed actual testing of the deflection issue and broke out a digital protractor to test it and showed no deflection:

I think the nature of the under mount rail system makes some people think it might be more prone to deflection but Milwaukee seems to be using a pretty sturdy aluminum armature casting which should resist it. 

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Have faith. I LOVE my 780 and have no issues that others have with the saw. It's one of those tools that literally make me a better carpenter because it's just that good. With the 780, the planer, 887 impact, and the 16g nailer I feel like I could do just about anything. 

I've played with the FlexVolt mitre, and am familiar with the 780. Just ordered the XR planer: I have the 660 and 887 as well. All quality units. I have 100% confidence in the 790; it's the 2734 I'm hesitant about lol. 

The dewalt 790 would work for a crew doing 150 or less cuts in 2x10 lumber (runtime tested by youtuber tool craze). Should be able to get a bit less than 3 times as much in 2x4 lumber. I don't really see somebody framing a whole house with it while its on battery power especially if it being used by a crew. I could see it being used for smaller jobs. A lot of guys are gonna want at least 2 batteries in the saw and 2 charging. I'm not sure how many cuts you guys and/or the average crew completes each day but if we figure the user/s have access to 4 2.0 flexvolt batteries a bit less than 300 cuts (using tool craze's numbers) a day in 2x10 or the equivalent amount of cuts in 2x4's or 2x6's would the saw satisfy your needs?