m18 9.0

Jronman

18 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I agree with this line of thinking, it's not something I want to have to worry about having to have 2 batteries ready to use instead of just 1

Festool makes a dual battery track saw that can run off one battery if you don't have the second one with you, don't have model no offhand..

HEY I found it!

Yeah props to Festool for adding a nice "limp home" feature like that. All the power in the world is useless if the batteries are sitting in the charger and not your tool. Having the ability to still work at a reduced power is probably handy in a pinch to just get the job done; maybe not that effective on all tools though. Track saws are usually cutting sheet stock and a little slow down is not gonna kill you but I can imagine a reciprocating saw or rotary hammer running 1/2 power might make you suicidal :P

• Like 2

Even though Milwaukee said the 9.0 fit every tool but that floodlight that needed an adapter I was a little concerned about the  M18 vac because of the way the battery sits entirely enclosed in the unit. It's one of my favorite Milwaukee products and I'm happy to report the 9.0 fits just fine probably because they had it setup to use both M18 and the older battery platform it had the extra space. If there was ever a tool that needed more runtime it's this little vac so the 9.0 actually will be a nice upgrade for it:

IMG_3200.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 1:38 PM, comp56 said:

haha a few year back ATI video cards for computers got caught doing something like that, they introduced a video card with 32MB of memory, 3 months later they released a newer one with 64mb and shortly after they did someone realized it was the exact same card with the memory unlocked so they produced the cards all the same so with a software update they could unlock the memory.....sneaky ... 

Funny thing is AMD still does that with their processors, they sell shit batches of chips and label them differently than the prime batches of chips. Hell they just re-label and re-release the same video cards i think twice in a row lol.

On 10/4/2016 at 3:37 PM, JerryNY said:

Yeah props to Festool for adding a nice "limp home" feature like that. All the power in the world is useless if the batteries are sitting in the charger and not your tool. Having the ability to still work at a reduced power is probably handy in a pinch to just get the job done; maybe not that effective on all tools though. Track saws are usually cutting sheet stock and a little slow down is not gonna kill you but I can imagine a reciprocating saw or rotary hammer running 1/2 power might make you suicidal :P

Dats why you pay the big buck for festool innovation!

8 hours ago, JerryNY said:

Even though Milwaukee said the 9.0 fit every tool but that floodlight that needed an adapter I was a little concerned about the  M18 vac because of the way the battery sits entirely enclosed in the unit. It's one of my favorite Milwaukee products and I'm happy to report the 9.0 fits just fine probably because they had it setup to use both M18 and the older battery platform it had the extra space. If there was ever a tool that needed more runtime it's this little vac so the 9.0 actually will be a nice upgrade for it:

IMG_3200.JPG

The only tool that I think I have that I know won't fit the 9.0 is the 2361 (LED light). I've got the older 1000 lumen version and I'm pretty sure the cage is too small for the 9.0 as they changed it behind the scenes and bumped up the specs to 1100 lumens.

2 hours ago, JerryNY said:

Didn't they say they were making an adapter available to let that one LED light work with the 9.0?

Yup, they came out with a new model that the 9.0 will now fit in it.

Careful with that vac and the 9.0.... I burnt my vac with the 9.0 in it bc I wanted to see runtime....

But between Milwaukee and Acme tools, they sent me a new one

5 hours ago, JerryNY said:

Didn't they say they were making an adapter available to let that one LED light work with the 9.0?

Well, they modified the existing model slightly and upped the output.  The model # didn't even change.  As far as I can tell, owners of the legacy light are just SOL as far as putting 9.0 batteries into it.

30 minutes ago, khariV said:

Well, they modified the existing model slightly and upped the output.  The model # didn't even change.  As far as I can tell, owners of the legacy light are just SOL as far as putting 9.0 batteries into it.

At one of the Milwaukee events I remember reps saying the 9.0 battery would work on all tools except that light and an adapter would be made available to let the battery work with the light.  

8 hours ago, khariV said:

The only tool that I think I have that I know won't fit the 9.0 is the 2361 (LED light). I've got the older 1000 lumen version and I'm pretty sure the cage is too small for the 9.0 as they changed it behind the scenes and bumped up the specs to 1100 lumens.

I got the new one. The old one was 1100 lumen, the new one is 1500 lumen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JerryNY said:

At one of the Milwaukee events I remember reps saying the 9.0 battery would work on all tools except that light and an adapter would be made available to let the battery work with the light.  

I'd be interested to know how they're planning on making an adapter.  The problem is that there just isn't space in the battery cavity for the 9.0 to fit.  Making some sort of adapter that would place the battery outside of the cylinder might technically work, but would be ugly and would make the battery easier to bang / knock around and dislodge, so I can't imagine that's their solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khariV said:

I'd be interested to know how they're planning on making an adapter.  The problem is that there just isn't space in the battery cavity for the 9.0 to fit.  Making some sort of adapter that would place the battery outside of the cylinder might technically work, but would be ugly and would make the battery easier to bang / knock around and dislodge, so I can't imagine that's their solution.

Maybe it involves replacing the bracket in the back with a less thick one....

I can't find the video, it might have been on periscope, but I think it was even Dan talking to a Milwaukee rep who said they were making an adapter for the one light that the 9Ah didn't fit into. I don't even have that floodlight but I remember being surprised they said there would be an adapter. Maybe they decided against making one?  

9 hours ago, khariV said:

7 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Maybe it involves replacing the bracket in the back with a less thick one....

7 hours ago, dwain said:

It's not hard to take out that strut if you have torx bits, toolaholic didn't need to cut it. If its to be an adapter, it will probably be a replacement 'high-clearance' strut.

Yeah I was beginning to think I took a crazy pill and was imagining the rep saying an adapter would be available but I found the manual over on Milwaukee's site;

https://documents.milwaukeetool.com/54-06-2360.pdf

The red section lists the new part 31-01-1586 needed for the light to use the 9er...

IMG_0199.PNG

• Like 2