Main Bath Gut

phffter

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

If the pros are correct, that's what I see them doing, must be for a good waterproofing seal behind the tile

we covered this topic at work. two carpenters, 1 painter, 1 plumber, 4 engineers. a couple of 'em own rentals.

consensus was 'it 'll be fine'. durock is porous. mudding those seams wont add much, if anything.

+ both baths i demo'ed in this house, 1 was green board, the other plaster, with no barrier, the     walls were not damaged. same with the 2 baths in a previous house.

+ i'm leaving this overtaxed state in 3 years. it'll be fine.

+ i aint a pro.

• Like 2

we covered this topic at work. two carpenters, 1 painter, 1 plumber, 4 engineers. a couple of 'em own rentals.

consensus was 'it 'll be fine'. durock is porous. mudding those seams wont add much, if anything.

+ both baths i demo'ed in this house, 1 was green board, the other plaster, with no barrier, the     walls were not damaged. same with the 2 baths in a previous house.

+ i'm leaving this overtaxed state in 3 years. it'll be fine.

+ i aint a pro.

Unless you are adding membrane to the walls, mudding it wouldn't do a a whole lot. Waterproofing is all or nothing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On 11/27/2016 at 8:35 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

If the pros are correct, that's what I see them doing, must be for a good waterproofing seal behind the tile

well, to prove im not a complete hack, broke down and bought a tub of spreadable membrane. the little window ledge has been bothering me, especially at 3 in the morning when im trying to sleep. painted the 3/4'' ledge around the window, and whatever i didnt tile on the wall around the window

now, that i have the goo, i shoulda spread it all over the shower stall.

probably will have a 7/8 full tub of hardeded crap next time i open it.

• 2 weeks later...

damn, have i been busy.

anyways, got the ceiling finally done. laying out the window was a minor pia. a few imperfections, i'll live with them. pobably wold have been easier using bullnose trim tile, instead of schulter trim. looks good, she likes it, and the window will be covered with a shower curtain most of the time anyway. another thing i learned, was not to start at both ends. lines matched up pretty good, except one spot. oh well, i aint tearing it all apart tomorrow, pull the sticks. finish a bazillion other minor things that have been on hold. next, i HAVE to tackle the door.

040.jpg

042.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome, I was wondering what your next steps were going to be, that's quite the dedication to installing tile! I say if I can get it to spray hot water on me and drain away properly without leaking around on the floor, i'll be good, that's why I never look into doing tile LOL!! Just give me an old basement shower with concrete floor, with the above requirements met and i'll be good hah!

I've seen windows in showers before, always wondered if water would build up in the channel, grow a new breed of mold or not.....

15 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Awesome, I was wondering what your next steps were going to be, that's quite the dedication to installing tile! I say if I can get it to spray hot water on me and drain away properly without leaking around on the floor, i'll be good, that's why I never look into doing tile LOL!! Just give me an old basement shower with concrete floor, with the above requirements met and i'll be good hah!

I've seen windows in showers before, always wondered if water would build up in the channel, grow a new breed of mold or not.....

one of the many things figgered out at 3 in the morning when i should be asleep.

channel is installed, away from the water direction, except the top one, if that makes any sense. would have been way easier to take out the window, but, that would have opened another can of worms.

looks nice, pia (to me) to layout.

• Like 1

looks good, I love a tiled bathroom  2 out of three of our bathrooms are done in some kind of tile. The main floor bathroom was tricky because my wife wanted a straight walk in with no lip on floor....and no doors on the shower like the old country......so I had to lower the floor in the shower area...still have one more bathroom to go 

sitting around, decompressing. long day, as most lately have been.

dishwasher died, new is in. i wanted to replace the electric whip, didnt want to 'tim taylor' another project.

snowblower died, 2 stroke single action toro lasted 17 years. replaced with a 4 stroke single.

old door and jamb out. new jamb and 6 panel door in. room side oak trimmed.

just got done tiling the back wall, where the towel bar will hang.

cheated a bit with left over oak. seems the gap between the door molding and the tile would have been about 9/16.

i think i 'hid' it pretty good. too pooped to snap pics, ill get some soon.

( door jambs were hung to the same plumb of the original. new door seemed to have an automatic closer. carpenter gave me a tip, slight bend to a hinge pin. it stays open now)

a little background.

i usually buy materials for a job, sometimes months before i start a project. except , of course, the vanity and top for this job. usually start the project when i get tired of tripping over stuff.

started grouting the tub. seeing how much grout the accent tile and the gaps were eating, decided to check where the bags of grout were hidden. turns out i only bought 1 10# bag. very unusual for me, im the guy who needs 2 gallons of paint and i buy 4 (ya never know when ya might need it). no biggie. drive past tile store............... color was discontinued last month.

they had 6 other shades of grey (not 50, heh heh). momma picked one. im going to NOT remove what ive already done. finish the 1st row of accent from the top in the shower stall, save a little grout, and then mix both together to finish.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phffter said:

a little background.

i usually buy materials for a job, sometimes months before i start a project. except , of course, the vanity and top for this job. usually start the project when i get tired of tripping over stuff.

started grouting the tub. seeing how much grout the accent tile and the gaps were eating, decided to check where the bags of grout were hidden. turns out i only bought 1 10# bag. very unusual for me, im the guy who needs 2 gallons of paint and i buy 4 (ya never know when ya might need it). no biggie. drive past tile store............... color was discontinued last month.

they had 6 other shades of grey (not 50, heh heh). momma picked one. im going to NOT remove what ive already done. finish the 1st row of accent from the top in the shower stall, save a little grout, and then mix both together to finish.

I had bought 1 bag for the floor and 1 for the walls as well. I plan to start grouting tomorrow and was going to get another bag of each. can always take it back if not needed.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:01 AM, phffter said:

a little background.

Say it's not so!!! Hopefully doesn't stick out too badly with the different color

7 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Awesome! I'm working on putting the shower stuff in right now and then caulking. The drawer fronts can wait.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Speaking of caulking, I used to hate it then I found a trick along these lines and love how it turns out since doing it this way