Older 9.6v Makita drill performance question

Mike E

Greetings, I just purchased a model 6095D 9.6v Makita drill still brand new in the package (made in 1999). I realize that even though the stick style batteries have never been used they are probably deteriorated from age. The drill stops after driving four 3" screws. I already own an early Makita 9.6v pod style drill (6222D) that performs extremely well with good batteries. Question: If I buy new stick batteries for the 6095D can I expect the same performance from it as my pod style which is about five years newer? All opinions welcome, especially those who have experience with the earlier Makita drills. Thanks!

• Like 1

I would buy the batteries from a place that has a good return policy and see what happens. Early cordless tools were not really known for having a ton of power though. You had to pre drill a lot of the time. How much did you pay for that drill btw just curious?

Is it this kind?

Makita 6095D 9.6V 3/8" Cordless Driver-Drill (2-Speed, Variable Speed, Reversible)

Hard to say if they have much power normally because the last time I tried one I think the batteries were on the way out. It seemed to be in the range of newer 3.6V/4V screwdrivers and definitely less than the 8V ones, but still almost as bulky as an 18V.

There are much better options out there with some pretty cheap modern 12V tools that are more compact and powerful.

On 10/7/2016 at 4:03 PM, Mike E said:

Paid $58 for the drill and flash light kit in the case still in the cardboard advertisement slide on cover. Brand new. Looking forward to other comments on the power and endurance of these drills.

They are very durable I own two of the 9.6v drills that are close to that model.I also own two older 12v that are older and are very durable and nothing has broken on them its just eventually the batteries die if you don't have them fully charged and leave them for a long time,overcharge them and run them completely down a lot . Like I said before they are very durable.On black Friday at my local home depot, i am hoping those batteries will go on sale I will buy them. I have a 9.6v jigsaw that is old that runs off of the same battery. 

I hope this isn't too late, but there is a conversion piece that lets you use the new Makita sliding lithium batteries on the old stick NiCad tools .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQW4N66/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1T2NCTM9UIV30&coliid=IYY23Z3T3VOS0&psc=1

Also here is a video showing it.

That said I have no experience with it. I recently found a Makita kit(circ saw, recip saw, drill, flashlight) from the late 90's? that was my father's. All the batteries are dead. I have considered purchasing this, but I already have those tools in other brands so there is no need. I found the adapter when I was searching for nicads etc.

EDIT:    This is for the 18v sorry about that. I will leave the post just for info for others.

1 hour ago, Claeg said:

I hope this isn't too late, but there is a conversion piece that lets you use the new Makita sliding lithium batteries on the old stick NiCad tools .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQW4N66/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1T2NCTM9UIV30&coliid=IYY23Z3T3VOS0&psc=1

Also here is a video showing it.

That said I have no experience with it. I recently found a Makita kit(circ saw, recip saw, drill, flashlight) from the late 90's? that was my father's. All the batteries are dead. I have considered purchasing this, but I already have those tools in other brands so there is no need. I found the adapter when I was searching for nicads etc.

EDIT:    This is for the 18v sorry about that. I will leave the post just for info for others.

Thanks man hell ya i would buy this thanks man for posting :) have a good one #makita4life #tiacrew

I have one of those adapters and while it is a bit rough around the edges, it does the job. Like some of the reviews on it state, it can be tough to remove from some tools due to the retaining clip design, and the tool that I use it on requires that it be removed in order to change batteries. Just a FYI.

This is one of those items that I wish that Makita had taken the time to develop and produce.

12 minutes ago, JMG said:

I have one of those adapters and while it is a bit rough around the edges, it does the job. Like some of the reviews on it state, it can be tough to remove from some tools due to the retaining clip design, and the tool that I use it on requires that it be removed in order to change batteries. Just a FYI.

This is one of those items that I wish that Makita had taken the time to develop and produce.

Does it work well and are the tools powerfull 

I only have one tool that needed the adapter, one of the original mini sliding miter saws. The power from the lithium battery is so much better than the ni-cad ever was. I never was a fan of the 18v pod packs and was using Panasonic drills during that time frame. You just have to pay attention and change it out as soon as you notice any power drop, so as to protect the battery itself.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2016 at 1:21 PM, JMG said:

I only have one tool that needed the adapter, one of the original mini sliding miter saws. The power from the lithium battery is so much better than the ni-cad ever was. I never was a fan of the 18v pod packs and was using Panasonic drills during that time frame. You just have to pay attention and change it out as soon as you notice any power drop, so as to protect the battery itself.

Thanks for responding back it is quite a good idea i have a drill,light,circular song that i would use the adapter for :) have a good one #tiacrew