Designing the Future of Tools

henryshammer

Hi everyone!

I am an Industrial Design student with a background in the construction industry. For my final project I am considering the future of tools. My goal is to make high-quality tools more accessible to everyone; both professional and amateur. It would be a huge help for me if you could spare 5 minutes of your time and answer the following questions. Any participation is appreciated, feel free to skip questions, and thank you in advance!

Which trade do you specialize in?

Do you invest in higher quality tools that will last longer?

Which tool brand do you use most frequently?

Can you think of tools that you would like to own, but can’t justify spending the money on?

If that tool(s) were available for rental, would you rent it?

Have you rented tools before?

If so, which tools do you rent most often?

Would you rather rent from an organization, or an individual?

Of the tools you rent, which is the most difficult to transport / maneuver?

Do you ever rent your own tools for extra cash? If no, would you? Why or why not.

Can you think of any specific tool that is in need of an upgrade?

Can you think of any obvious change that could be made to a tool to make it more suitable for renting?

Would you rather have 1 tool that does 3 jobs ‘okay’, or 3 tools that do each job very well.

Is space-saving an issue when storing your equipment or working on a jobsite?

• Like 1

welcome to the forums

Which trade do you specialize in? Retired fabrication Engineer/Woodworking Hobbyist 

Do you invest in higher quality tools that will last longer? Yes

Which tool brand do you use most frequently? Milwaukee/Ridgid/King Industrial

Can you think of tools that you would like to own, but can’t justify spending the money on? 5 axis woodworking CNC

If that tool(s) were available for rental, would you rent it? No

Have you rented tools before? No

If so, which tools do you rent most often? _______

Would you rather rent from an organization, or an individual?_________

Of the tools you rent, which is the most difficult to transport / maneuver?_______

Do you ever rent your own tools for extra cash? If no, would you? Why or why not. No I don't let anyone use my tools 

Can you think of any obvious change that could be made to a tool to make it more suitable for renting?

Would you rather have 1 tool that does 3 jobs ‘okay’, or 3 tools that do each job very well.

Is space-saving an issue when storing your equipment or working on a jobsite? No

• Like 1

Just now, comp56 said:

Do you ever rent your own tools for extra cash? If no, would you? Why or why not. No I don't let anyone use my tools 

Why don't you let anyone use your tools? If there was a safe way to ensure the quality of your tool remains the same, or any damage would be taken care of by the borrower - would you reconsider? 

Thanks for the feedback!

Cam

8 minutes ago, henryshammer said:

Why don't you let anyone use your tools? If there was a safe way to ensure the quality of your tool remains the same, or any damage would be taken care of by the borrower - would you reconsider? 

Thanks for the feedback!

Cam

I'm constantly using mine. It's also a territorial thing. You mark your territory by touching your things like dogs. The more you touch it the more others know it is yours. If everyone touches it your ownership of it becomes diluted and indistinct as it is a communal tool now. You wouldn't be fine with everyone touching your significant other would you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henryshammer said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Cam

No way to ensure the quality of the tool remains the same, something always happens... Repairing damage doesn't uncover issues that might pop up over time because of the original damage caused something that wasn't noticeable at first

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

I'm constantly using mine. It's also a territorial thing. You mark your territory by touching your things like dogs. The more you touch it the more others know it is yours. If everyone touches it your ownership of it becomes diluted and indistinct as it is a communal tool now. You wouldn't be fine with everyone touching your significant other would you?

Lol forgot you and your relationship with your impact

• Like 1

Just now, Stercorarius said:

Totally understandable! Thanks for the feedback. 

Cam

52 minutes ago, henryshammer said:

Hi everyone!

I am an Industrial Design student with a background in the construction industry. For my final project I am considering the future of tools. My goal is to make high-quality tools more accessible to everyone; both professional and amateur. It would be a huge help for me if you could spare 5 minutes of your time and answer the following questions. Any participation is appreciated, feel free to skip questions, and thank you in advance!

Plumbing

Yes

Milwaukee

Can you think of tools that you would like to own, but can’t justify spending the money on?

Yes

Yes

Yes

Infrequently used tools, such as core bits, scissor lifts, earth augers, larger equipment than just hand power tools

Organization

Towing machines

Do you ever rent your own tools for extra cash? If no, would you? Why or why not.

Not small tools, those don't leave my sight, but if I owned machinery, probably yes

Yes

No

3 tools

52 minutes ago, henryshammer said:

Yes

2 hours ago, henryshammer said:

1 hour ago, henryshammer said:

Which tools do you have trouble justifying purchasing? 

Specifically a wood turning lathe. 

Or a multitude of woodworking tools i would use less frequently than my day job tools, which I have no trouble justifying those

2 hours ago, henryshammer said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Cam

there are enough tools out there people don't need to use mine.......just like my chair in the living room, my wife and kids know it's my chair and never sit in it......if the chair wears out or brakes I can't blame anyone.

some tools are one man tools, I have some tools that are beat up and well used but well used by me and only me may not make me happy if someone used it broke it and replaced it with a new one.....

I went through my career with some real old school fellas that were real stern on having your own tools 

as they used to say if I don't let you use it ya can't brake it!

tools are not invincible, don't matter how old or new not fair for someone that needs to borrow a tool for a few hours or a day and it decides that today is the day it fails. 

they are stuck replacing it or you have to settle on some kind of price because it was used 

another reason is not all people know how to use or care for tools like renting a car a lot of people say its only a rental who cares........

I don't even let family use my tools they seem to always be able to come get them but never got time to bring them back........ 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, henryshammer said:

Hi everyone!

Which trade do you specialize in? Rough furniture making and Finishing (starting out), Drywalling, demolition, general construction

Do you invest in higher quality tools that will last longer? I invest in tools that are on sale that will do the job and won't fall apart in a few years.

Which tool brand do you use most frequently? Milwaukee

Can you think of tools that you would like to own, but can’t justify spending the money on? I want a lathe, but I want someone to teach me how to use it correctly I like my digits.

If that tool(s) were available for rental, would you rent it? Only If I learned How to use it correctly.

Have you rented tools before? Often

If so, which tools do you rent most often? Scaffolding, drywall stands, Demo hammers, excavators

Would you rather rent from an organization, or an individual? Whichever is cheaper.

Of the tools you rent, which is the most difficult to transport / maneuver? Scaffolding

Do you ever rent your own tools for extra cash? If no, would you? Why or why not. No, i don't like people using my stuff

Can you think of any specific tool that is in need of an upgrade? not at the moment

Can you think of any obvious change that could be made to a tool to make it more suitable for renting? Self cleaning Demo hammer.

Would you rather have 1 tool that does 3 jobs ‘okay’, or 3 tools that do each job very well. It depends, If I'm breaking up a small square of concrete, a heavy breaker sledge will do, but obviously if I need to do a 20x20 back yard then yeah, I want a tool that does it very well.

Is space-saving an issue when storing your equipment or working on a jobsite? Depends on if I'm in a small house in the city or not, space saving can be very, very attractive for someone that works in a big city like new york or sydney.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Lol to me its more of a "I treat work tools like shit, so I don't lend mine out because they will treat mine like shit."

4 hours ago, henryshammer said:

Which tools do you have trouble justifying purchasing? 

DRILLS, ALL BUT ONE. I don't know I like drills for some reason.

I have around 10 or so laying around but I only really use one >_<

Some people collect expensive cards and shit I collect drills lol.

Construction, particularly furniture. Also residential drafting

Of course, low quality tools are not an option.

Dewalt is what I use the most. I hope to get some high quality furniture tools if I can save enough money. I was thinking about trying to get some Powermatic tools.

A timesaver wide belt sander. It's probably one of my favorite tools I've ever used but at $20,000 to get their basic computerized shop model is quite a bit to spend. I suppose I could also say a shop.

Depends on the price and if it were rent to own. Also would be nice to be able to rent it for a reasonable price but have free upgrades to a newer models when it comes out. Not sure if I would ever rent a shop or not.

no

n/a

I would rather rent from an individual if its someone I know and I know is gonna have good tools that have been taken good care of. If I don't know anyone with the tool I need I will probably go to an organization to rent it.

n/a

I haven't rented any of my tools. I would consider renting my big woodworking tools because not many people may have the tools or access to the tools. I was thinking they could pay a monthly or yearly fee to have access to my shop. My small hand tools I would not rent, because they are too easily broken or stolen. My drill and impact especially wouldn't rent because I would use it quite a bit on the job. I could see people utilizing a "woodshop membership". All tools they have access to would have to stay in the shop. If I were to rent out tools, the person renting the tool from me would not be able to take the tool and use it else where. They can only use it at my shop.

All tools could use improvements, new features, etc. I would like a tool that helps make better 45 miters. Seems like every time I try to make a 45 miter to join 2 pieces together they don't line up right. Either the angle is off a hair making the joint a bit off square or one piece is too long or too short. Well it wouldn't have to be restricted to 45 angles. It should help with any desired angle. sometimes you need to join pieces with other angles like 22.5.

tracking device just incase it gets lost or stolen. Heavier duty build quality so parts break less.

Would you rather have 1 tool that does 3 jobs ‘okay’, or 3 tools that do each job very well?

3 tools that do the job well.

Depends on the job. If I owned a large enough shop, space wouldn't be much issue. If I were working on a small remodel then space might be an issue depending on the tools needed. The typical house build wouldn't have much issue with space once the house is lockable and tools stored inside or if the tools are stored inside a large enough trailer. Storing tools in the back of a pickup truck or a small trailer might have a space issue.

Were you too specific?

No

• Like 1

Agriculture: Facility and Equipment Maintenance/repair/operation/construction

Varies. If it will be in my company vehicle where other people have access and where it will get used out in the field or in environments where recovery is unlikely or with a high risk of damage I opt for replaceability over quality. Tools that I use when turning a wrench in a clean shop are likely to be higher end. If I knew I would be the only one touching it I would go for higher end. My torque wrenches I loaned once at work and never again. Calibrated equipment like that has to be used by only me as I trust all of zero people to know how to use and respect it. I also only buy the best when it comes to torque wrenches. The last thing I want is premature gasket failure.

Depends on the job.

Overall: Leatherman

New facility construction, wood: DeWalt Skilsaw Estwing Hitachi

New facility construction, steel: Victor  Lincoln DeWalt

Facility maintenance, equipment and electrical: Milwaukee Fluke Channellock Klein DeWalt

Facility Maintenance, buildings: DeWalt Victor Lincoln 

Field Equipment repair, frame and chassis: Metabo Victor Lincoln DeWalt.

Field equipment repair, mechanical: DeWalt Pittsburgh Milwaukee Gearwrench Sunex

Equipment Repair, electrical: Fluke Channellock Klein

Shop equipment repair:

Carlyle, proto, Sunex, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh

Equipment fabrication:

Metabo, Hypertherm, Miller, Lincoln

Equipment operation: Leatherman DeWalt (grease gun and Impact wrench) Bosch (radio, formerly Milwaukee) Milwaukee (lighting)

CNC equipment, mill, lathe, box and pan brake, sa300, carbon arc gouging equipment, TIG machine, cordless mag drill, everything in the Snap-on catalog, track cutter, you see where I'm going with this.

No.

Yes.

Gasoline powered concrete saws, core drills, jackhammers, excavators (none on my dime.)

Organization.

Excavator is kinda difficult logistically, but I would rather drive a lowboy than lift a plate compactor into the back of a pickup.

No, they're mine. 

Cattle prods: At first I though they should be an M12 model, but I think they should be a Bosch 12v.

GPS based tool tracking.

All four. If not, the three tools.

Yes.

• Like 1