junk tools

rought

I'm sorry but things just aren't adding up here. In the OP's original post there was a photo posted of the various tools that no longer work and bashing the company for the issues he is having. Isn't one of the tools an impact driver? the entire bottom is caked with what looks like drywall dust. How the F do you somehow cake an area in drywall dust between the tool and battery on a tool not designed to do anything with drywall except put screws into it? I'd say some of the problem does not appear to be with milwaukee but with the careless abuse of the tools by the OP.

Then an HD repair tech chimed in claiming that if the tools looked as dirty as ones pictures they had a response for that. of course... It is called saving money. Why repair a failed product if you could just blame it on the user. So what if the product was being used as intended and it has a design flaw. If I buy a saw and the fan sucks in the material being cut, that is not on me.

BTW, I've had dozens and dozens of contractors work for me over the years and not one ever made a mess like what would be needed to make the tools look like they do in a few of those photos. Might be worth investigating into keeping the area a bit cleaner to save money in the long run.

34 minutes ago, MikeInCtown said:

I'm sorry but things just aren't adding up here. In the OP's original post there was a photo posted of the various tools that no longer work and bashing the company for the issues he is having. Isn't one of the tools an impact driver? the entire bottom is caked with what looks like drywall dust. How the F do you somehow cake an area in drywall dust between the tool and battery on a tool not designed to do anything with drywall except put screws into it? I'd say some of the problem does not appear to be with milwaukee but with the careless abuse of the tools by the OP.

Then an HD repair tech chimed in claiming that if the tools looked as dirty as ones pictures they had a response for that. of course... It is called saving money. Why repair a failed product if you could just blame it on the user. So what if the product was being used as intended and it has a design flaw. If I buy a saw and the fan sucks in the material being cut, that is not on me.

BTW, I've had dozens and dozens of contractors work for me over the years and not one ever made a mess like what would be needed to make the tools look like they do in a few of those photos. Might be worth investigating into keeping the area a bit cleaner to save money in the long run.

Generally speaking, I'm not one to start a flame war, but I'd like to weigh in in support of your observations.  If you look closer at the pictures, the replacement Makita tools, including the drywall cutout tool which could legitimately be covered in drywall dust, are quite clean.  While I admit that I'm probably overly cautious about dust and grime building up in my tools, I have no idea how much dust you'd have to have in the air to have as much build up as shown in these pictures.  The state of battery attachment plate and the switch of the disassembled blower look like they've been sitting in a bin of drywall dust.  I've done my fair share of drywalling over the past 20 years and anything that I don't want coated in dust gets covered or moved out of the sanding area, not tossed into the corner or left at the bottom of the wall where I'm making  a mess. 

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, khariV said:

Generally speaking, I'm not one to start a flame war, but I'd like to weigh in in support of your observations.  If you look closer at the pictures, the replacement Makita tools, including the drywall cutout tool which could legitimately be covered in drywall dust, are quite clean.  While I admit that I'm probably overly cautious about dust and grime building up in my tools, I have no idea how much dust you'd have to have in the air to have as much build up as shown in these pictures.  The state of battery attachment plate and the switch of the disassembled blower look like they've been sitting in a bin of drywall dust.  I've done my fair share of drywalling over the past 20 years and anything that I don't want coated in dust gets covered or moved out of the sanding area, not tossed into the corner or left at the bottom of the wall where I'm making  a mess. 

Just my 2 cents...

Exactly. I used my DeWalt cutout tool a couple months back while I was cutting hole after hole for can lights in drywall ceiling tiles in a commercial kitchen. Dust flying everywhere and getting sucked into the fan and even that never looked as bad as the photos. I've also done demo work and never had a tool get messed up so much. I use my impact driver for something almost every day. Admittedly not all day every day, but it gets use nonetheless. The only thing wrong with it is that it is scraped up. I can't imagine the mess I would have to make to have it look that bad.

Just my 2 cents...

Exactly. I used my DeWalt cutout tool a couple months back while I was cutting hole after hole for can lights in drywall ceiling tiles in a commercial kitchen. Dust flying everywhere and getting sucked into the fan and even that never looked as bad as the photos. I've also done demo work and never had a tool get messed up so much. I use my impact driver for something almost every day. Admittedly not all day every day, but it gets use nonetheless. The only thing wrong with it is that it is scraped up. I can't imagine the mess I would have to make to have it look that bad.

You guys both make very valid points! I've done my share of dry wall and my tools don't get that bad either but I try to keep them out of line of drywall dust fire especially drills and such, cut out tool is One thing but a screw gun and such shouldnt be dousted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2016 at 9:11 PM, rought said:

I sent two back and they wanted $120.00 each to fix. said they were not covered under warranty. They failed from normal wear and tear.. those drills were only 1 month old.. I was so pissed.. that I went to Home Depot and bought another set and changed the insides, then returned the ones I bough the next day..

...where they went right back on the shelf to be resold.  I feel sorry for the poor SOB who bought them.

On 12/14/2016 at 0:52 AM, dwasifar said:

...where they went right back on the shelf to be resold.  I feel sorry for the poor SOB who bought them.

If He said they weren't working etc, they would have had to RTV (Return to vendor( For Credit)).

But to chime in a few months old thread, I recently Denied a Customer an RTM ( Lowe's version of RTV ) on a DCD996 combo kit (Hammer, Impact) Caked in drywall/mud with him screaming at me saying "THE DAMN THING LASTED A WEEK THIS IS BULLSHIT, DEWALT IS SHIT" etc etc. Told him if he had bothered to even clean the kit up there would have been no question we'd have just taken it.

10 hours ago, pancing said:

If He said they weren't working etc, they would have had to RTV (Return to vendor( For Credit)).

But to chime in a few months old thread, I recently Denied a Customer an RTM ( Lowe's version of RTV ) on a DCD996 combo kit (Hammer, Impact) Caked in drywall/mud with him screaming at me saying "THE DAMN THING LASTED A WEEK THIS IS BULLSHIT, DEWALT IS SHIT" etc etc. Told him if he had bothered to even clean the kit up there would have been no question we'd have just taken it.

Good point. I hope he did, then.

My wife used to work service desk at Home Depot, and she would tell me all sorts of stories about what people would try to return.  They had a LOT of scammers, because the store policies were so lax.  They'd have taken back your customer's abused tools.  Now she works at Lowe's and they're a lot stricter.  But if your customer was paying attention to what you told him, I bet he went home, cleaned them up, and returned them at a different Lowe's.

23 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Good point. I hope he did, then.

My wife used to work service desk at Home Depot, and she would tell me all sorts of stories about what people would try to return.  They had a LOT of scammers, because the store policies were so lax.  They'd have taken back your customer's abused tools.  Now she works at Lowe's and they're a lot stricter.  But if your customer was paying attention to what you told him, I bet he went home, cleaned them up, and returned them at a different Lowe's.

They do

Man that's strange I guess you just have bad luck outta the 5 years I have used Milwaukee tools outside in the mud,dirt,water,sand and just abused the crap out of them in freezing temps all I have done is had a guy on my jobsite burn up a non fuel drill but he trying to core drill a 4" hole with it lol (new guy) and had a couple batteries go bad but my local dealer always swaps them out with no questions asked

• 2 weeks later...

I have power tools from several major companies and have had no real problems with any of them.

I believe this is due to proper tool usage and maintenance. Whether it's tools, guns or vehicles, proper care will almost always result in longer life. Once you get in the habit of doing this you become more efficient and the time it takes to maintain tools is no problem. JMHO 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

you guys take it for what it is.. im not here to piss off any fan boys.and im not here to make stuff up either. im just telling my experience with Milwaukee..if you like Milwaukee and it works for you,, that great..

I am still using my One Makita drill and one hammer drill. those two drill have out lasted all 6 of my Milwaukee combined and i see no sign of problems any time soon.. same work load  .

I will say again Milwaukees work great and have the best selection and inventory by far..they just don't last for me..

i have posted pictures of these tools,,,even apart.. if you think im making this up. you are delusional...

here is a picture of a new Milwaukee motor and a older Dewault motor see anything different..

my biggest worry about Milwaukees is,,, they get super hot..my Makita doesn't

and Milwaukees from 5 years ago are not the same. different company. Chinese don't just make them. they own the company too..

no fan.jpg

TTI has owned Milwaukee for nearly 13 years so they've been a "different company" for a while now. Through the V18 debacle and now through the successes of M12 and M18 so I'm not sure what ownership has to do with anything. Maybe Hilti and their 20 year warranty would better suit your needs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bremon said:

TTI has owned Milwaukee for nearly 13 years so they've been a "different company" for a while now. Through the V18 debacle and now through the successes of M12 and M18 so I'm not sure what ownership has to do with anything. Maybe Hilti and their 20 year warranty would better suit your needs. 

they sold to Techtronic.in 2oo6.. so its been 10 years.

not sure what that would do with anything..?

Chinese company buys them . you don't think anything would change?

thanks for the tip on Hilti they make amazing tools... but they are not readily available .and very expensive.

I am not having problems anymore though. i have stopped using Millwaukee... makitas and  delwaults seems to not break on me.. i have yet to break one since I switched...and they run much cooler,

14 minutes ago, rought said:

they sold to Techtronic.in 2oo6.. so its been 10 years.

not sure what that would do with anything..?

Chinese company buys them . you don't think anything would change?

thanks for the tip on Hilti they make amazing tools... but they are not readily available .and very expensive.

I am not having problems anymore though. i have stopped using Millwaukee... makitas and  delwaults seems to not break on me.. i have yet to break one since I switched...and they run much cooler,

Actually the sale was in 2005, so split the difference at 12 years :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Electric_Tool_Corporation

[mention=55386]rought[/mention] I can agree with you about temperature. My DCD791 and DCD996 run far far cooler than my Fuel 2704, which gets hot enough to be uncomfortable. They try to pack too much power into too small of a drill imo. 

In Canada, Milwaukee markets that as "portable 2 in 1 jobsite heater".

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

In Canada, Milwaukee markets that as "portable 2 in 1 jobsite heater".

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

@rought I can agree with you about temperature. My DCD791 and DCD996 run far far cooler than my Fuel 2704, which gets hot enough to be uncomfortable. They try to pack too much power into too small of a drill imo. 

NPS 2017

Milwaukee Rep announces, "Thank you for joining us today. At Milwaukee our customers have noticed our m18 and m12 tools heat up quickly and we wanted to provide a solution to their problem. We have worked extremely hard this past year and are announcing a new technology called Milwaukee Frost. It is part of our goal to bring disruptive innovation to our products. It is a brand new cooling system we will be implementing in future m12, m18, and m18x2 tool releases. Milwaukee Frost will be the standard in tool cooling technology. Milwaukee Frost actively cools the tool when under extreme load. During testing we have found our tools perform 20% cooler than our other models that do not include Milwaukee Frost technology. Because the tools perform cooler we are able to get 15% more run time with our batteries when paired with a tool that has Milwaukee Frost. In addition to Frost tools we are working on m18 frost and m12 frost batteries. We will divulge more information about these batteries next year. We should be seeing Milwaukee Frost tools starting to release in the next couple months. At only a $20 premium over our previous models we feel Milwaukee Frost is a great buy. That will be all for our presentation. We hope you enjoyed the presentation and hope you will enjoy our other tool releases. Thank you. 

*energetic music plays*
*smoke is dispensed*
*Milwaukee rep rides off the stage in style on a Milwaukee red segway*

• Like 3

well the new design  is badly needed.. nice info..thx.

i thought fan boys were going to jump on me for saying that..

I figured i would have to make a video with a thermo camera showing  the difference between  manufactures and tool temps..under same work load. but everyone seems to agree on this problem. Milwaukee as well

I said all along that, i felt it was the temperature of the tool that caused premature failure.,,not drywall dust, not blowing out the motors.

when a drill gets so hot  you cant even grasp the top  of  it (were the motor is)...(you have a problem)

the tools are fine for a light user but not a heavy user..

sure my grandfather could get 20 years out of a Milwaukee drill,,,  but not me.

the warranty covers them from having to take responsibility for the bad design too..which makes me not trust them.

even with the new cooler design. i will not buy Milwaukee. at least not until Makita or DeWalt try and pull the same crap...

not covering normal wear and tear.

..reminds me of the 10 warranty you get on some brands of fertilizer ..if you know what i mean.

I sure miss the selection Milwaukee has though. Makita has horrible selection of cordless tool easily available..but i know the tools wont let me down,

5 hours ago, Jronman said:

NPS 2017

Milwaukee Rep announces, "Thank you for joining us today. At Milwaukee our customers have noticed our m18 and m12 tools heat up quickly and we wanted to provide a solution to their problem. We have worked extremely hard this past year and are announcing a new technology called Milwaukee Frost. It is part of our goal to bring disruptive innovation to our products. It is a brand new cooling system we will be implementing in future m12, m18, and m18x2 tool releases. Milwaukee Frost will be the standard in tool cooling technology. Milwaukee Frost actively cools the tool when under extreme load. During testing we have found our tools perform 20% cooler than our other models that do not include Milwaukee Frost technology. Because the tools perform cooler we are able to get 15% more run time with our batteries when paired with a tool that has Milwaukee Frost. In addition to Frost tools we are working on m18 frost and m12 frost batteries. We will divulge more information about these batteries next year. We should be seeing Milwaukee Frost tools starting to release in the next couple months. At only a $20 premium over our previous models we feel Milwaukee Frost is a great buy. That will be all for our presentation. We hope you enjoyed the presentation and hope you will enjoy our other tool releases. Thank you. 

*energetic music plays*
*smoke is dispensed*
*Milwaukee rep rides off the stage in style on a Milwaukee red segway*

LOL!!!!  You have a bright future ahead of yourself.... A bright red future bbahahhhaha 

So the pre-fuel drills do not have a cooling fan? I know my fuel drills do, but I haven't used a brushed drill to know what they are like.