2734 first thoughts

glass

51 minutes ago, glass said:

The makita blades are far better than the diablo blades I can get. The hook angle is all wrong on them. Try these makita blades.Trust me for bang for the buck they rock and are often discounted at cpo. I got 3 60 tooth, 3 80 tooth and 2 40 tooth blades for $200 no tax or shipping.

I've heard good things about Makita blades and their gold impact bits seem to hold up better than most in my experience but Diablo/Freud makes blades in all different specs. You can get 10" blades with 5,7 and 10° hook angles if you want, some made specifically for sliding miters. I've never bought a Diablo miter blade until I got the Fuel miter but I love their thin kerf circular saw blades...

On 10/26/2016 at 6:38 PM, glass said:

The makita blades are far better than the diablo blades I can get. The hook angle is all wrong on them. Try these makita blades.Trust me for bang for the buck they rock and are often discounted at cpo. I got 3 60 tooth, 3 80 tooth and 2 40 tooth blades for $200 no tax or shipping.

Are they tenryu blades or something like that.....?

On 10/22/2016 at 8:25 PM, glass said:

i think I am going to purchase the saw stache from fastcap to create a better dust shroud. Dewalts doing a big demo this week at the local lumberyard. I would like to get the skinny on the battery generator.

Kinda funny to think of a saw with a mustache.

Change of Heart :

I may return the saw. Here are reasons,

The play in one of the slide bearings is nagging at me. I feel its getting worse. I just hate that little bit of slop.

The excellent bevel lock lever is undone by the ridiculously small bevel gauge, forget about repeat custom bevel settings.

The bevel adjust if its out is fiddly.

The miter lock lever needs to be adjusted so tight so it does not move I fear for its reliability.

crosscut capacity is limited below 12", yet vertical is good.

No plug in option. 2 reasons, firstly to save the batteries when power is available. Secondly, difficult work flow when hooked up to a vacuum, must turn on vac than cut.

Most importantly it just feels a little cheap. The 12" they introduced a few years ago had a few flaws but felt top quality. The 2734 just feels cheap in hand kind of like the dark years a few years back for milwaukee.

Now I need a new 10" scms   Makita ls1016l, dewalt dw717, ridgid ms255sr. which one ?

• Like 1

The 790 slides aren't noticeably improved? We have a 1016 Makita at work and it works well but nothing we need it for comes close to a money cut on crown so I can't say whether it would work for you or not glass. Plus, your standards seem quite high so maybe it's time to save for the Kapex. 

1 hour ago, glass said:

Change of Heart :

I may return the saw. Here are reasons,

The play in one of the slide bearings is nagging at me. I feel its getting worse. I just hate that little bit of slop.

The excellent bevel lock lever is undone by the ridiculously small bevel gauge, forget about repeat custom bevel settings.

The bevel adjust if its out is fiddly.

The miter lock lever needs to be adjusted so tight so it does not move I fear for its reliability.

crosscut capacity is limited below 12", yet vertical is good.

No plug in option. 2 reasons, firstly to save the batteries when power is available. Secondly, difficult work flow when hooked up to a vacuum, must turn on vac than cut.

Most importantly it just feels a little cheap. The 12" they introduced a few years ago had a few flaws but felt top quality. The 2734 just feels cheap in hand kind of like the dark years a few years back for milwaukee.

Now I need a new 10" scms   Makita ls1016l, dewalt dw717, ridgid ms255sr. which one ?

I've got the DW717 and it's great! I bought the DW7085 XPS upgrade for it (yet to fit) and I think the only thing I'd look to upgrade, if possible, would be the dust collection. Power, accuracy and quality

of cut are all great. I think the only thing (10") I'd swap it for would be a Kapex!

IMG_0770.JPG

2 hours ago, glass said:

The dewalt dws780 and dhs790 just has such sticky slides especially when doing bevel and compound cuts. I got the makita ls1216l for monster stuff but like to have a 10" for trim and everyday stuff.

I appreciate the time you take to post your opinion here. Sorry to hear you don't like the Fuel 10". I was just at HD tonight and went to look at the DWS780 and the slides are nowhere near as smooth as the Fuel. I'm not sure I totally agree with your opinion that it feels cheap overall. I think some parts do, like the red plastic clearance insert feels very cheap and some of the plastic surrounding the sawdust extraction channel does too but to be fair the dozen or so miters on display at my local HD had said similar cheapness sprinkled throughout. Overall though everything else feels pretty smooth and quality. I feel they spent the money where they needed to. The metal castings for the arm articulation and most of the base plates seem a grade above any saw under $1k, I've never used a Kapex so I can't compare to that. I put a Freud Industial sliding miter blade on it and it makes very very nice cuts too. I made some blade observations over in the Accessories forum but I'll make my own Fuel 10" impression thread here when I get some time. 

• Like 1