New Shop Underway....Part Deuce!

ChrisK

• 3 months later...

So no pics today, and don’t really know why I update this but....

This weekend, I finally finished wiring in the shop. Lighting is done, yesterday I added two separate outlets, both ceiling mounted, one line for the DC unit, the other for the Sawstop. I also finally installed the Grizzly air cleaner which created its own set of issues that I resolved. 

I had to do some rust repair to my table saw, I had a small leak from one of the copper water lines that dripped onto my table top and even got a speck on my bandsaw table so they are both soaking in T9 Boeshield till tomorrow then I’ll hit them with Renaissance wax (oh yes, the name of a the basement woodworker).

I ended up listing some tools on CL to clear out some floor space in the shop and put some money on the coffers for later on but hopefully by Fridayish I might have some pics to post.

• Like 2

So no pics today, and don’t really know why I update this but....

This weekend, I finally finished wiring in the shop. Lighting is done, yesterday I added two separate outlets, both ceiling mounted, one line for the DC unit, the other for the Sawstop. I also finally installed the Grizzly air cleaner which created its own set of issues that I resolved. 

I had to do some rust repair to my table saw, I had a small leak from one of the copper water lines that dripped onto my table top and even got a speck on my bandsaw table so they are both soaking in T9 Boeshield till tomorrow then I’ll hit them with Renaissance wax (oh yes, the name of a the basement woodworker).

I ended up listing some tools on CL to clear out some floor space in the shop and put some money on the coffers for later on but hopefully by Fridayish I might have some pics to post.

What did you put up for sale?

Glad the shop is moving along.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rrich1 said:

What did you put up for sale?

Glad the shop is moving along.

I just sold my TXS drill set and I have the rail edge guide set plus a brand new OF1010 up for sale on CL.  Never used the 1010, bought a new set a couple of years ago but the 1400 has been my primary router big and small. Been using the heck out of my 1400 and 1617 and have great plans for the 2200. Also sold my Dewalt 12v drills. Loved them but to much stuff sitting. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So got some great things in the mail today. Also some great news from the AWESOME neurosurgeons at Mass General. I am clear for work, my GP has me still at home with some light duty to follow shortly, but I can pick up my beautiful son finally and start increasing my excercise. Great news because I am going to be putting these gorgeous new tools to use right away. I got two sets of new card scrapers from Lie Nielsen, curved and straight, a burnisher from LN and two GORGEOUS chisels from Blue Spruce Toolworks. This will be a two part order, I ordered a Bench and a Butt edge chisel from Blue Spruce and then next one coming in will be a Dovetail chisel. From LN I have the sharpening jig on the way.also, not pictured is my new PDC from Festool, I’ll post some soon.

ECA8E990-74CB-422D-BECE-02B8AF189383.jpeg

2BBAE3AB-54DF-44B6-A85E-4039BB987CFD.jpeg

E83AAF04-FECD-43B8-9FC8-81282E4C2AF1.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

So got some great things in the mail today. Also some great news from the AWESOME neurosurgeons at Mass General. I am clear for work, my GP has me still at home with some light duty to follow shortly, but I can pick up my beautiful son finally and start increasing my excercise. Great news because I am going to be putting these gorgeous new tools to use right away. I got two sets of new card scrapers from Lie Nielsen, curved and straight, a burnisher from LN and two GORGEOUS chisels from Blue Spruce Toolworks. This will be a two part order, I ordered a Bench and a Butt edge chisel from Blue Spruce and then next one coming in will be a Dovetail chisel. From LN I have the sharpening jig on the way.also, not pictured is my new PDC from Festool, I’ll post some soon.

ECA8E990-74CB-422D-BECE-02B8AF189383.jpeg

2BBAE3AB-54DF-44B6-A85E-4039BB987CFD.jpeg

E83AAF04-FECD-43B8-9FC8-81282E4C2AF1.jpeg

BLESSINGS !!!!!!!!

happy to hear of the progress ..... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Awesome! I really want the LN chisels. With the guild discount it will take a little of the price off. Let me know how you like the new honing guide. I liked it a lot at the hand tool event.

Not only should you, you should take a couple of days off next week and come visit.  I have been home recovering from my “issue” since Christmas Day and am feeling much better. My Wife gave me the nod and next week I am planning on going to Warner Maine for a quick visit. About a three hour drive each way in the Mustang to a little business that is famous for making those chisels and planes. I might get myself a brass no 4 or a cast iron 4-1/2...... And sign up for a spring class 😇 I have been stagnant too long!!!!

• Like 1

Not only should you, you should take a couple of days off next week and come visit.  I have been home recovering from my “issue” since Christmas Day and am feeling much better. My Wife gave me the nod and next week I am planning on going to Warner Maine for a quick visit. About a three hour drive each way in the Mustang to a little business that is famous for making those chisels and planes. I might get myself a brass no 4 or a cast iron 4-1/2...... And sign up for a spring class [emoji56] I have been stagnant too long!!!!
I'm jealous! I just watched their open house/how their planes are made video the other day. I had heard somewhere that they do a discount at their store. Do you know if that's true? I forgot if you own a guild project. If so ask for the discount while you are there.

Both of those are very nice planes. I was actually surprised how much heavier the 4 1/2 is than the 4. I would probably get the 4 and the other later. The 7 1/2 low angle jointer was smooth as silk. Give that a look too. A lot cheaper than the regular #7.

Glad you are doing much better. We don't need any more of us gone. Take it slowly, don't ignore anything, and enjoy getting back into your routine.

4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

I'm jealous! I just watched their open house/how their planes are made video the other day. I had heard somewhere that they do a discount at their store. Do you know if that's true? I forgot if you own a guild project. If so ask for the discount while you are there.

Both of those are very nice planes. I was actually surprised how much heavier the 4 1/2 is than the 4. I would probably get the 4 and the other later. The 7 1/2 low angle jointer was smooth as silk. Give that a look too. A lot cheaper than the regular #7.

Glad you are doing much better. We don't need any more of us gone. Take it slowly, don't ignore anything, and enjoy getting back into your routine.

Thanks brother. Yeah, things are getting pretty bad.

And yes, 10% off at the store just like TWW. Buuuuuuut....you have to pay 5-1/2% sales tax 😕 Believe it or not, NH there is NO sales tax! I think I’m going to push myself for being out of the house and I’ll take a 4-1/2% reduction 🤙 off the price!

• Like 1

Decidedly, I went to Lowe’s today and ended up getting a Wood magazine with an awesome quick and dirty build plan for a compact solid bench. I ended up getting some kd fir 2x8s and got them stacked downstairs tonight. Looks like I’ll finally have a bench in the shop while those beams I bought last year wait till spring for me to make my English bench. I figured this would kill two birds with one stone...get a bench in the shop so I can get back into action and allow me in my current condition to lift these things 👍😇🙏

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have the top assembled as well as the matching lower portion. Maybe a bench sometime Monday?

51601A83-669F-41FD-A5A6-D5253C8FE5F4.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/17/2018 at 6:38 AM, ChrisK said:

Not only should you, you should take a couple of days off next week and come visit.  I have been home recovering from my “issue” since Christmas Day and am feeling much better. My Wife gave me the nod and next week I am planning on going to Warner Maine for a quick visit. About a three hour drive each way in the Mustang to a little business that is famous for making those chisels and planes. I might get myself a brass no 4 or a cast iron 4-1/2...... And sign up for a spring class 😇 I have been stagnant too long!!!!

Great to hear you got “the nod” ..

enjoy the trip and the obligatory souvenir !!!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Decidedly, I went to Lowe’s today and ended up getting a Wood magazine with an awesome quick and dirty build plan for a compact solid bench. I ended up getting some kd fir 2x8s and got them stacked downstairs tonight. Looks like I’ll finally have a bench in the shop while those beams I bought last year wait till spring for me to make my English bench. I figured this would kill two birds with one stone...get a bench in the shop so I can get back into action and allow me in my current condition to lift these things 👍😇🙏

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have the top assembled as well as the matching lower portion. Maybe a bench sometime Monday?

51601A83-669F-41FD-A5A6-D5253C8FE5F4.jpeg

Ahhhhhh !! A project  👍😄😄😄😄😄😄

• Like 1

Not wanting to even compare this project to @rrich1 beautiful work bench and after being cleared to resume physical labor in incremental stages, I received a copy of the newest Wood magazine. I’ve been planning my Nicholson for a while but not being able to even move in my shop let alone lift the 16’ framing timbers I’ve had out back for over a year, I opted to get this short quick an easy bench started with KD Pine. Today I got the upper and lower bench tops cut, planed and jointed. My Superman dust collector is awesome....Tomorrow I’ll trim the boards down, though the plans call for a 5-1/2” rip I’m thinking I’ll go a full 6” and possible double up the top and forgoe the storage.  Not a hundred percent sure but we will see. I’ll head over to Woodcraft and pick up a cheap face vice for the right front face (I’m a south paw) and get the dog holes drilled as I see fit. The overall length of the bench top is a mere 60”. My Dewalt planer and Powermatic jointer got a fun workout and my Kapex made smooth ends all the way around. Hand planes to follow 👍👍👍😎

E9880C02-BBB6-4127-912D-2FF258E39D08.jpeg

C71A2984-0EA6-408C-B737-F2CD90A67051.jpeg

DE62D44F-1584-4916-B689-892F9D961B9A.jpeg

F070815A-78D6-4FFF-B674-E77552546156.jpeg

420F267C-E978-4F21-8EC6-3A710C45AC0D.jpeg

D8FF3D50-B651-42B6-9767-EAA83F9FD8B1.jpeg

039C8021-B74E-451F-83A9-F096CC755569.jpeg

• Like 1