Preferred ratchets?

Conductor562

I have an old Easco 1/2" ratchet I bought back in '78. It's showing it's age, but I prefer it over the old Craftsman that I was given several years earlier. Recently picked up a Felo mini from KCtool that I really like, but all in all, I have no real loyalty to any particular brand. Whatever is within reach and gets the job done. Specialty tools that generally end up in my kit, do so more due to short term availability than what brand they are or discount they might be sold at.

• Like 2

I have no real preference, a ratchet is a ratchet. I own Stanley, PowerTorque, Gearwrench, Craftsman, and on and on and on...none of them are any more or less impressive than the next.

I like the Gearwrench pass-thru flex-head ratchet, it's got a good feel and is nice to use. I also have a PowerTorque low-profile ratchet that I seem to grab for more than the other ratchets I have. Mainly because I like how it looks and feels, and not because it out-performs the others. I have a swivel-head at work that I like to use because, like Putnam said, you can use it like a screwdriver, which makes it really easy to spin stuff quick.

I have two T-handle tools that I have at work that I love to use, one is the typical spinner T-handle, the other is a ratcheting T-handle. Both are great to use, and since getting them I reach for them more than any other ratchet. They make work a lot easier and faster for a lot of stuff.

But, after saying all of that, I really don't have much of a preference, at least not brand-wise. If it feels good in the hand and doesn't break, I'm all good.

• Like 3

As far as preferred ratchets are concerned....

Proto 24T long format ratchets with superlube are my go-to ratchets. I use them whenever form factor isn't an impediment. They are by far my favorite grips. I work in some less than sterile environments and being able to use a wd40 soaked rag to clean the handle is a huge plus. 

For automotive use I have a snap-on dual 80 flex-head and an extra long indexing flex head 3/8 Carlyle 90 tooth. The Carlyle is preferred because it is a more solid feeling ratchet. I just wish it was American made and didn't have the soft grip that gets everything embedded in it. I have overworked it and brought it up to around an estimated 200 foot pounds or more and had the head flex about 20 degrees to the side (not on the axis it is supposed to, pivoting about the Y instead of the X) without any damage or tooth slip.

The most convenient and economically priced thatched is on le that I can not recommend enough after all the times it has saved me. The ratchet I speak of is the Blackhawk stubby flex head 3/8" ratchet. It only has 41 teeth which makes me want to get a higher tooth count Proto/Facom version but my 2012 Proto catalog doesn't list one. The thumb wheel on it is also very convenient. It is my go to for assembly work before the torque wrench comes into play because it comfortably gives you about a solid 8 ft/lbs of pre torque. 

IMG_20170108_124723.jpgIMG_20170108_124602.jpg

• Like 2

I have kobalt, Husky, craftsmen that all get the job done, but don't have a real high quality feel. I have 1 snap-on 1/2" drive that I really like and bout used. I have a hard time justifying the cost of the snap-on new. I have herd good things about Proto, s&k, and tekton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I've amassed a lot of ratchets since this thread was young.

I have a bunch of ratchets, but my starting rotation is:

Mac 90 Tooth Axis

These are my new favorites. They are phenomenal ratchets and IMO, might be the finest ratchet available. They are the first on the market I truly felt were superior to the Dual 80. They are expensive, but the new Proto version will make them a little easier to swallow for most.

Proto 45 Tooth XL Premium Pearhead

These rats are great in situations where the Axis rats are too sophisticated and the Classic 24 Tooth Pearheads are to archaic. The single pawl design is very tough and was actually the predecessor to the more refined mechanism found in the Axis ratchets. 

Proto/Facom 72 Tooth "Palm Control"

This was a Facom design that was rebranded under both the Proto and Mac labels. It is actually a very stout design and prior to the Axis ratchets, probably had the most Tooth engagement of any ratchet available. It was a round head which I do not prefer, and also somewhat thick. These see muck less use in the Axis era, but it's still my go to in 1/4"

Proto 24 Tooth Classic Pear Head

These ratchets are truly timeless. Variations of this design have been in use since before WWII and there's a reason they are still in use. They are tough as nails, simple to repair, easy to find parts for, and fairly cheap to acquire. I still have the 5450 my dad gave me when I was 15 and it's still my first reach for the big nasty jobs. 

• Like 3

Man, I've amassed a lot of ratchets since this thread was young.

I have a bunch of ratchets, but my starting rotation is:

Mac 90 Tooth Axis

These are my new favorites. They are phenomenal ratchets and IMO, might be the finest ratchet available. They are the first on the market I truly felt were superior to the Dual 80. They are expensive, but the new Proto version will make them a little easier to swallow for most.

Proto 45 Tooth XL Premium Pearhead

These rats are great in situations where the Axis rats are too sophisticated and the Classic 24 Tooth Pearheads are to archaic. The single pawl design is very tough and was actually the predecessor to the more refined mechanism found in the Axis ratchets. 

Proto/Facom 72 Tooth "Palm Control"

This was a Facom design that was rebranded under both the Proto and Mac labels. It is actually a very stout design and prior to the Axis ratchets, probably had the most Tooth engagement of any ratchet available. It was a round head which I do not prefer, and also somewhat thick. These see muck less use in the Axis era, but it's still my go to in 1/4"

Proto 24 Tooth Classic Pear Head

These ratchets are truly timeless. Variations of this design have been in use since before WWII and there's a reason they are still in use. They are tough as nails, simple to repair, easy to find parts for, and fairly cheap to acquire. I still have the 5450 my dad gave me when I was 15 and it's still my first reach for the big nasty jobs. 

I love the round head 72 tooth, they are unique but are sweet with the black oxide finish, once I purge my bank account on wera zyklops j got an eye out for the Macs

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

Looking at this beauty.

VR2690FPA.jpg

The thing that kills me is the Proto J5426HTC is the version of this with a knurled metal handle like I want but it's not freaking available yet and it is killing me. I won't wait for any preorder midnight release stuff for a movie or video game, but I would show up at any hour to get my hands on one of these.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Toolsource.com claims to have some 90 tooth variants in stock, but their images are just poorly photoshopped sections from the flyer proto released.

Toolsource is a drop shipper, so if their supplier has some, other peoples should too. 

Doesn't look like there will be as much savings between the Mac and Proto versions as I'd hoped.

That set comes with the foam, I didn't make it myself. PowerTorque has quite a few socket sets that have foam like that. It's nice because it fits in the drawer and nothing rolls around

• Like 2

That set comes with the foam, I didn't make it myself. PowerTorque has quite a few socket sets that have foam like that. It's nice because it fits in the drawer and nothing rolls around

That is an awesome selling feature. A lot of people like the foam, but don't want to hassle with it.

That is an awesome selling feature. A lot of people like the foam, but don't want to hassle with it.

2 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Toolsource is a drop shipper, so if their supplier has some, other peoples should too. 

Doesn't look like there will be as much savings between the Mac and Proto versions as I'd hoped.

I'll talk to a proto rep and see what I can get.