Preferred ratchets?

Conductor562

6 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

thats disappointing, and a better price, CANCEL!!!!!

1 hour ago, Stercorarius said:

Proto has a few items made overseas. Most of their ratcheting wrenches, with the exception of the USA spline drives, are made in Taiwan, you'll find several rebranded items in their fleet service catalog made overseas, their air tools, the palm control rats are made in Italy, etc, etc, but the vast majority of their tools are made in America. On a percentage basis among what I call "full line manufacturers" Proto, SK, and Snap-On probably offer the highest percentage of American made tools. But with all of these companies you know you're never getting Chinese and it's always going to be high quality.

The Taiwanese have become very efficient manufacturers over the last decade or so and while I always prefer American made, I no longer bulk at an item made in Taiwan. I got to have a pretty in depth conversation with a fellow at Druofix a couple years ago who oversaw the conversion from a Taiwan manufacturing facility to a Chinese one. Don't quote me on the exact numbers, but the defect rate went from something like .01% to almost 2%. It was so bad they actually lost money and moved production back to Taiwan. 

The tool market goes in cycles. At one time Japan was the origin of all shitty bargain bin tools. Eventually they improved and became associated with high quality manufacturing. Then Taiwan was the new Japan, now China is the new Taiwan. Eventually India will be the new China. Who knows, maybe in 50 years Africa will be the new India. 

As the quality level and standard of living increases, companies will always find a new place to manufacture shitty tools at the cheapest possible price. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Why not because it will wear out faster u think it would be opposite

17 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Hmmm that's interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reasoning they gave me is that Proto would rather rebuild x amounts of ratchets free than have one ratchet with their name on it slip. Without lube there's about a 0% chance of slippage on them.

• Like 3

The reasoning they gave me is that Proto would rather rebuild x amounts of ratchets free than have one ratchet with their name on it slip. Without lube there's about a 0% chance of slippage on them.

That's standing behind your reputation. The more I here about proto the more I want some.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tcoscarelli said:

That's standing behind your reputation. The more I here about proto the more I want some.

Keep in mind that this wasn't an official proto statement, but it was the guy at the store who deals with proto.

• Like 1

So I found this interesting as hell. So it looks like Proto has never changed the internals of their ratchets. Like the hole sizes and spacing has always been the same so a 24 tooth 3/8 ratchet rebuild kit will work no matter how old the ratchet is. Talk about a time tested design and a legitimate warranty you can depend on. One of these is brand new, the other two are old. Conductor might be able to tell you exact years. All the internals cross over directly.

IMG_20170113_212624.jpgIMG_20170113_212607.jpgIMG_20170113_212552.jpgIMG_20170113_212511.jpgIMG_20170113_212501.jpgIMG_20170113_212155.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

So I found this interesting as hell. So it looks like Proto has never changed the internals of their ratchets. Like the hole sizes and spacing has always been the same so a 24 tooth 3/8 ratchet rebuild kit will work no matter how old the ratchet is. Talk about a time tested design and a legitimate warranty you can depend on. One of these is brand new, the other two are old. Conductor might be able to tell you exact years. All the internals cross over directly.

IMG_20170113_212624.jpgIMG_20170113_212607.jpgIMG_20170113_212552.jpgIMG_20170113_212511.jpgIMG_20170113_212501.jpgIMG_20170113_212155.jpg

Nice aren't the two to the right plombs ?

Yep, the current guts will match up all the way back to before WWII.

I am a little skeptical about this whole "Proto frowns on lube" thing though. Lube is pretty essential and I've gotten plenty of Proto ratchets lubed from the factory. You notice shit like this when you're the kind of guy that the first thing you do with a new ratchet is tear it apart ?

• Like 3