Preferred ratchets?

Conductor562

12 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Yep, the current guts will match up all the way back to before WWII.

I am a little skeptical about this whole "Proto frowns on lube" thing though. Lube is pretty essential and I've gotten plenty of Proto ratchets lubed from the factory. You notice shit like this when you're the kind of guy that the first thing you do with a new ratchet is tear it apart ?

Yeah I still lube mine anyway. I wonder if the guy had been told something about the round head ratchets or the sealed heads. I have yet to hear it from anyone but him. I might call proto and see what they say.??

• Like 1

Yep, the current guts will match up all the way back to before WWII.

I am a little skeptical about this whole "Proto frowns on lube" thing though. Lube is pretty essential and I've gotten plenty of Proto ratchets lubed from the factory. You notice shit like this when you're the kind of guy that the first thing you do with a new ratchet is tear it apart [emoji38]

Come to think of t my palm control ratchets had grease in them... [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of my 24 tooth ratchets had lube.

Don't remember is my 45 tooths were or not but the palm control are made in Italy too, maybe don't grease the ratchets doesn't translate in Italian to grease the frying pan before you cook stunad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

IMG_20170115_154758.jpg

Updated collection. Not pictured are two Protos (24 tooth 3/4 drive and 1/2 long handle) and a Carlyle (3/8 indexing flex head extra long) along with three Gearwrenches and three Kobalts. The Gearwrenches and Kobalts were stolen, but their still mine and so still part of my collection.

• Like 3

To the left you have the basic HF beater wrenches. These turn into breaker bars really quickly as the handles are extendable and the teeth generally don't slip. What I have found usually happens with these wrenches are that the selector lever either seizes or shears off. I don't know why. I have yet to cause any of them to fail on mine, but the ones at the shop all seem to have this problem.

Top left stubby three are also Pittsburgh ratchets. They make a good just in case ratchet.

Bottom left is a 1/4" drive crescent, no problems with that one slipping. Next to it is a stubby Blackhawk 3/8. That is my all time favorite. 

In the middle is an SK roto head I picked up on eBay. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm a fan of the form, but this one has a lot of chipping chrome. 

Round head Facom design Proto 3/8. Not that big fan of round heads. I just wanted something with a little higher tooth count than 24. Below it is a 24 tooth Proto 1/4 drive. I'm not sure why I bought it. I rarely use 1/4 drive. 

Bottom to top on the right:

Snap -on dual 80 3/8 flex head with quick release. Not impressed with this ratchet for being $140. I only use it more than my Carlyle because it has a metal handle which handles oil and grease better. 

Proto 24T 3/8 long handle. I always go for the longest handles I can find.

Wright 1/2 drive open gear ratchet. Way too much back drag. Still an awesomely strong ratchet.

Proto 1/2 24T. I like my long handle version better. It isn't pictured because I keep it in the truck. 

Crescent 1/2  and 3/8 drive ratchet. These things are first ratchets and have seen all sorts of abuse. They have easily experienced hundreds of foot pounds. They are short and bulky though.

1/2 drive gear wrench. Real short and bulky. Bought for the sockets it came with.

Plombs because killin' Nazis and shit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Nice spread Sterco. Now you'll need to track down a set of Proto Big Dawgs!

So I just looked through some old garage journal posts and it does look like I need some Big Dawgs. I also found this image which guaruntees that the do not use lube isn't true, at least not as a blanket rule.

tapatalk_1484570817326.jpeg

That old SK ratchet is sweet. I got some old craftsmen 1/2" and 1/4" ratchets when my grandfather passed. I have no idea how old, but there is a definite quality difference with these old ones vs the newer ones I have. 30317abfc71d0fe803f87f07dc35423f.jpg
ad750b640db6ca1f8c68090ea6d2ae93.jpg

• Like 2

Here's my 1930s SK ratchet and the insides of it for @JimboS1ice . I still have to grease it still though

20170120_161919.jpg

20170121_094728.jpg

Thanks dude that's awesome still in pretty good shape internally, not a whole lot of deterioration for an 80 year old tool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Thanks dude that's awesome still in pretty good shape internally, not a whole lot of deterioration for an 80 year old tool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NP man ya it has held up very well ? that's another reason why I like SK because they are made in the USA still

6 hours ago, tcoscarelli said:

That old SK ratchet is sweet. I got some old craftsmen 1/2" and 1/4" ratchets when my grandfather passed. I have no idea how old, but there is a definite quality difference with these old ones vs the newer ones I have. 30317abfc71d0fe803f87f07dc35423f.jpg

Thanks man? love those craftsman ratchets very nice 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tcoscarelli said:

1/2" is from 59/60

1/4" is from 65-70

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tcoscarelli said:

I haven't done much research, but did you just google old craftsmen ratchets or where are you getting that awesome information?

I did, I've done research in the past so I knew what to look for. These were easy because of the unique levers and stamp. The 1/2" ratchet style is very well known.

• Like 2