Always plan ahead...

Kato

...when you buy a new tool. I'm not talking about planning ahead for what to tell the wife when she sees the new tool. I'm not talking about the planning it takes to decide on the right tool or the planning it takes comparing prices. I'm not talking about planning on all the fun stuff you're gonna do with it.

Nope, I'm talking about planning on what the hell you're gonna do with the tool when it comes time to store it. I finally had the opportunity to buy a sliding miter saw, and it's a beaut. The stand was easy...two shelf brackets and it mounts to a spot on the wall. Perfectly actually, fits an empty space perfectly and won't get in the way of anything. The saw on the other hand...how you guys with 12" sliders do it I don't know. My poor garage is crammed full enough, with the cars in it there's enough room to breath. My ability to Tetris (at the top of the list of my favorite games) things into strategic places and fit as much crap as I have in there is a miracle to say the least. That dang saw is pretty big, there's nowhere to put it. Length-wise it's too big. Height-wise it's too big. Width-wise...yup, too big. So, I have to think of creative ways to store it.

At first I thought it'd be perfect if I left it on the stand and mounted it on the two shelf brackets. However, it sticks out far enough that I'm pretty sure I'll smack it with the car. I haven't tested it yet but measurements with the tape measure and eyeballing where I know the side of the car is...don't think it's gonna be that easy. One idea is to hang it from the ceiling. Drill a couple of holes in the saw mounts, add 3/8" threaded rod and a piece of tubing, and hang it from hooks that are attached to the beam. Looks a little weird, and might be a little weird putting it up and taking it down until I get used to it, but it's completely out of the way. Not quite sure if I like the idea though...something seems off about it. Not worried about strength, not worried about the threaded rod/tubing breaking, just don't know what it is that bugs me...

IMG_1581.jpg

The other idea is to design a mount on the wall. If the saw is flush on the wall I'm pretty sure the car won't hit it, gotta do some testing and measuring at whatnot to know for sure. The mount would be easy, PVC mounted to the studs and the saw would "hook" onto it via the mounts used for the stand. Good idea, will probably be easier to work with, but I haven't put it together yet. Still wondering the details and I'll have to clear a spot to go with this idea.

Anybody have any input, ideas, storage solutions, etc.??

• Like 6

Storing a slider or even a regular miter saw in a place where it won't be in the way is tough when you have limited space.  I have a 10" and 12" miter saw and the best place I could find was an extra tuff box in my garage. Yeah, I have to move things around a little when I need it, but I don't use it that often so it's no big deal to me. Plus I use the tuff box as a extra work area.

Man Kato that's a tuffy bro I ended up putting my tablesaw and miter saw on dewalt rolling stands and just dedicated a small wall space in the garage for those 2 items plus my air compressor. Hanging it from the ceiling was a good idea it's just kinda scetch know there's a miter saw hanging over your car or head lol 

• Like 2

I'm not worried about it being up there, I hung on those hooks when I was 236 pounds. Those hooks are normally where the snowblower hangs in the wintertime and I don't think the miter is all that much heavier. It's not going anywhere but something seems off about it to me, can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because it's a new thing hanging there, I don't know.

I'm working on a wall mount, but probably won't finish it until tomorrow some time. If the wall mount works the way it's working in my head I'll probably stick with that but I have a concern about the mounting. The two "clips" or whatever you call them that hold the saw to the stand don't have all that much of a curve to them, I'm worried that the saw would flip off of the mount. I'd have to come up with a safety cable or something to hold it so the weight didn't make it flip forward. Plus, I'm still not sure how close I'll get with the car to it if it's on the wall. Seems to be working out great in my head, but in practice it might not be so simple...

I personally wouldn't use pvc to hang a miter saw from the wall. It just doesn't seem like it would be strong enough and when plastic fails, I don't know how much advance notice you get. If you want to hang it on the wall with the stand brackets, hardwood closet rods would provide more strength.  A webbed strap with a ratchet or a buckle will also keep it secure even in an earthquake. 

The PVC will be reinforced. Even without extra strength I have no doubts that it would hold with no issues. The weight of the saw will be in a direction that would put more stress on the screws/anchors/whatever holding the PVC to the wall than on the PVC itself. I plan to mount the PVC to the studs, with some pretty strong deck screws. Plus there will be spacers inside the PVC to keep the screws from squeezing the sides together. It'll be plenty solid.

But, as I type this and go over stuff in my head, a thought occurs to me to just install a couple of strong hooks into the studs and hang the saw with the same threaded rod/tube that I'm using to hang it on the ceiling. Funny how the voices in your head work sometimes...

• Like 1

The PVC will be reinforced. Even without extra strength I have no doubts that it would hold with no issues. The weight of the saw will be in a direction that would put more stress on the screws/anchors/whatever holding the PVC to the wall than on the PVC itself. I plan to mount the PVC to the studs, with some pretty strong deck screws. Plus there will be spacers inside the PVC to keep the screws from squeezing the sides together. It'll be plenty solid.

But, as I type this and go over stuff in my head, a thought occurs to me to just install a couple of strong hooks into the studs and hang the saw with the same threaded rod/tube that I'm using to hang it on the ceiling. Funny how the voices in your head work sometimes...

Could always put it in the trunk and pray the wife don't go in it... win win lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's more compact when the saw is all the way forward. I had it on the workbench to see what kind of profile it had, and kicking the saw to the rear made it longer. If I wanted to be pushy I would slide it back, then it would fall right off the workbench.

I'm planning to extend the workbench and get rid of a few things on the side of the car, but I doubt it'd make enough room for "proper" storage. I think I'm gonna fiddle with the wall idea and see what I come up with. It'll probably be better just to have hooks or some type of mount on the all because I can brace/secure the saw better than hanging it from the ceiling. I'd love to build a rolling station for it or have it on the stand permanently but there's no way I'd finagle that kind of space out of the garage now, unless I kept my car outside. The more I think about the ceiling idea the less I like it. Not because of the weight but because knowing myself I'd always be thinking of some kind of better way to store it. I can't let OCD or ADD ruin my enjoyment of the saw.

Kinda surprised to be honest at the size of the saw. The 10" I borrowed to build my daughter's bed frame didn't seem all that big. But, I'm sure it was and I'm just not remembering right. The way they build garages these days you'd think nobody owns shit, they just have cars in there and that's it...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Could always put it in the trunk and pray the wife don't go in it... win win lol

I'm not one of those "hide it from the wife" types. Of course, I'm not stupid either, I know I have to ask permission before I buy a tool.

• Like 2

So...hanging on the wall it is! Had to do some re-Tetris-ing of some stuff, but the saw and stand fit nicely on the wall, and the car fits in without even coming close. What's the odds that the gap between saw mounts is enough to go past the 16" centers of wall studs. It's the perfect distance to fit over the brackets...geez I'm good!

IMG_1582.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and my garage is filled with "you gotta do what you gotta do". It's the struggle you face when you try to cram 500 pounds of shit into a 10-pound bag. It's also a pain in the ass because you build something, then have to rebuild it when something new comes in. I've gone through so many phases in the garage that some of the walls look like Swiss cheese. I don't know if any of my photos have ever shown the ceiling, but that's crammed full of shit too...

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 8:27 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Miter the saw all the way to one side so it takes up a little less room? May make it easier to take down and put up on the wall, perhaps..

I just realized what you were saying (doesn't take me too long)...rotate the bevel so the saw is laying down instead of upright. Didn't even think of that. I'm gonna do that and see what it looks like, might go with that idea to save a couple of inches. Only issue there is possibly the way I'd have to grab the handle to get it off the wall. But, I'm gonna try it and see how it works out

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kato said:

I just realized what you were saying (doesn't take me too long)...rotate the bevel so the saw is laying down instead of upright. Didn't even think of that. I'm gonna do that and see what it looks like, might go with that idea to save a couple of inches. Only issue there is possibly the way I'd have to grab the handle to get it off the wall. But, I'm gonna try it and see how it works out

Haha yes that's the idea I was getting at

5 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Geez guys, am I gonna have to explain the difference in bevel and miter? ?

Sure but I wasn't going to confuse anyone further by trying to explain that myself, Kato can figure out the best combination of bevel and/or miter to suit his needs...

I don't have any problem knowing the difference, but you guys have to realize that most of the time the only thing going on in my head is a lot of psychotic voices and rage...it tends to interfere with interpretation of written word. Give me time though and I figure things out.

• Like 2