Wire almost stolen

Justin Hernandez

Super late post, I'm trying to make the time to post and interact with you guys. I got a lot of stuff saved to share since I've been absent from here. This is forsure a Trick no treats here. FPL was called out late that night and shut the building down after finding a cut Neutral from the main feeder coming off trans. Damn crackheads needed some more sugar that night. 

IMAG2312.jpg

IMAG2313.jpg

IMAG2319.jpg

• Like 7

I work for a commercial signage company. So we make the signs that go in and around Hospitals, Hotels and Government Buildings. 

We have this one sign, located out on the street, in front of a hotel near a nightclub. About every month or so, the client has to reorder this sign because a drunk guy at the night club will inevitably punch the sign down. 

Not sure how this relates to the wire's being stolen, but it kinda is job security i guess lol

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Happens to farmers all the time. They pull it off the main spans of pivots and burn off the insulation with embedded ID numbers. They passed a law recently here that makes it illegal to buy or sell wire with burned off insulation so that has helped a little.

You get less money for copper that has had insulation burned off, but copper prices are super low right now. Its not even worth it. I think Southwire has an ID code on one of the strands of wire so if you burn the insulation its still on the wire.  

• Like 2

"How did you identify the thief?"

"He was the one welded to the cable, smelling like ozone. Wasn't too hard to find him."

You guys gotta do something about the thread title...I keep seeing it and thinking it says "Wife almost stolen"

• Like 3

Back in the day, our fab/machine shop also has an industrial chrome shop facility that used lots of copper bus bar 1" x 4" and 2" x 3" this stuff was worth it's weight in gold (no pun intended ) so they had a deal with the three different local scrap yards if any bus bar came in to call them just in case.......

by the way if you burn wire and then submerge it in 50% ketchup 50% water for a few minutes it will clean the copper to shiny NO.1   which is worth the most......

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, comp56 said:

Back in the day, our fab/machine shop also has an industrial chrome shop facility that used lots of copper bus bar 1" x 4" and 2" x 3" this stuff was worth it's weight in gold (no pun intended ) so they had a deal with the three different local scrap yards if any bus bar came in to call them just in case.......

by the way if you burn wire and then submerge it in 50% ketchup 50% water for a few minutes it will clean the copper to shiny NO.1   which is worth the most......

Does the ketchup  and water 50/50 really work ?

Taco Bell hot sauce will do it too. We used to stick nasty pennies inside a packet of hot sauce and shake it, then drop the penny out. Would come out as clean as the day it was made.

Kinda makes you wonder what that hot sauce does to your insides...

• Like 2

Copper theft is a common occurrence around here. Thieving Dope head bastards. We had 2 dudes burned to death trying to steal wire from a doghouse (railroad slang for crossing hut). You could barely tell they were human. I used to have a picture of it somewhere that was taken during the investigation, but I don't know what ever became of it. Pretty gory stuff. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kato said:

Taco Bell hot sauce will do it too. We used to stick nasty pennies inside a packet of hot sauce and shake it, then drop the penny out. Would come out as clean as the day it was made.

Kinda makes you wonder what that hot sauce does to your insides...

Nice i will have to try it some times yea same i wonder too what they put in it:) 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...