How do you label/tag your Milwaukee tools & batteries??

olletsocmit

So how does everybody label/tag their Milwaukee tools & batteries. For example: are you just writing your name on each with a sharpie or just labeling all of the cases the tools are in or printing labels for the tools?

I was thinking maybe some of those white paint pens that you see it craft stores ... writing my name on the bottom of the tool where the battery goes in so it doesn't stand out but still there. Or maybe those metal letter punch kits (kit w/ little letters on each metal post A-to-Z that you hit with a hammer in the back or heat up & press against plastic or wood) find a flat spot on the tool to lightly punch my initials or cleanly melt in ...what do you guys think?

• Like 1

I used the Milwaukee black sharpie and white paint pen. On the tool, I will write with the sharpie underneath/inside where the battery connects. On the battery, I use the paint pen on the top. When the battery is installed on the tool, you don't see either one. It's great for knowing which are mine, but for true security, not so much; they can both be rubbed off pretty easily with a magic eraser sponge. I like this though, in case I sell something on craigslist or ebay, I can take it off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to mark my tools when I worked in the fab shop by putting something hidden but now that all my tools are in my one man shop at home I don;t worry about it....if I can't find a tool I miss placed it.....

however when I was younger my father owned a construction company and when he would buy a bunch of new tools power or otherwise he would get me to take a lime green spray can and line all the tools up and spray a thick line across all of them......

9 minutes ago, comp56 said:

I used to mark my tools when I worked in the fab shop by putting something hidden but now that all my tools are in my one man shop at home I don;t worry about it....if I can't find a tool I miss placed it.....

however when I was younger my father owned a construction company and when he would buy a bunch of new tools power or otherwise he would get me to take a lime green spray can and line all the tools up and spray a thick line across all of them......

And that's how Ryobi got started...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, comp56 said:

A family friend who works construction does the same but with blue paint. Im gonna have to agree with you, all my tools either stay in my garage or go to a job site which is only for family so I don't have to worry about them walking away.

I too write my name where the battery slides on, I have each serial number in my phone on the One Key app as well, if there is any question

I like the idea of the engraver, although I am pretty much in close vicinity to my tools throughout the day with very few people around me to worry about it walking off.

I like the idea of GPS tracking though, sounds like Milwaukee was doing something like that in Australia...

Tick is the name of this little tracking device and it was leaked during Australia NPS16, so that info is long gone, I guess they'll release it when they're ready

• Like 1

Mine are at home or being used at a small shop where everyone knows the good quality tools are mine. If I was in a large shop or working around a lot of people, I'd engrave it or use a punch stamp heated up to make a symbol mark in the plastic. 

The only things at work I mark are my chemicals, I scratch my name in the can on the bottom. If it was a metal tool I'd probably punch it with a punch stamp.

1 hour ago, wildroamer said:

I usually just write "Free" on them and leave them on the side of the road.

:P.    :D

you could paint them yellow and slap a DeWalt name on them........probably never go missing.....lol

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wildroamer said:

I usually just write "Free" on them and leave them on the side of the road.

:P.    :D

True Story:

Probably 15 years back (God I'm getting old) A guy I knew had an old refrigerator he took out of his garage. It worked, but had a few dings in it. He sat it beside the road with a sign that said FREE. After about a week there were no takers and the trash people wanted like $20 to haul it off.

So he hit it with a coat of Rustoleum and put a sign on it asking for $50. He sat it next to a tree and put one of those plastic chains around it. 

The first night it was out there he watched 2 guys literally pick it up and carry it off. 

• Like 5

No one other than my four year old and my two year old ever touches my tools, so I don't have to worry about them going home with someone els but I do occasionally have to worry about them going missing. :)

I write the purchase date in black sharpie on the top of my batteries. That way, in can easily tell when they were bought for warranty purposes and it's covered by the tool when in use so I'm not having to stare at an ugly blotch of marker when I'm using them. Black sharpie on black plastic is pretty subtle. 

• Like 1

I've always written my initials where the battery slides into the tool. On the batteries I used to just blue Sharpie my initials onto them. I recently borrowed a friends methods of marking the vent holes with paint pen. You can easily ID them from the side. 5028be711fa1fde63e138870b4e9d705.jpg1da28eb638c99af9dcf021aeb7c645c0.jpg1da28eb638c99af9dcf021aeb7c645c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 07/12/2016 at 11:04 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

I too write my name where the battery slides on, I have each serial number in my phone on the One Key app as well, if there is any question

I like the idea of the engraver, although I am pretty much in close vicinity to my tools throughout the day with very few people around me to worry about it walking off.

I like the idea of GPS tracking though, sounds like Milwaukee was doing something like that in Australia...

Tick is the name of this little tracking device and it was leaked during Australia NPS16, so that info is long gone, I guess they'll release it when they're ready

The tick is the same thing used in one key tool, you can put it on ladders etc. It works on Bluetooth, they need to make one with the ability to have a SIM card, same with one key tool. You could track your tools everywhere then

the way I label my tools is I don't. If I'm the only guy at work without a label on my tools then I know its my tool. haha

I don't like having anything on my tools.

On 12/6/2016 at 2:11 PM, DaveJr. said:

A family friend who works construction does the same but with blue paint. Im gonna have to agree with you, all my tools either stay in my garage or go to a job site which is only for family so I don't have to worry about them walking away.

My boss does the same except the screwdrivers and stuff have like 6 coats of lime spray paint on them.

the way I label my tools is I don't. If I'm the only guy at work without a label on my tools then I know its my tool. haha

I don't like having anything on my tools.

My boss does the same except the screwdrivers and stuff have like 6 coats of lime spray paint on them.

That's why I put mine where you can't see it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/6/2016 at 1:41 PM, olletsocmit said:

So how does everybody label/tag their Milwaukee tools & batteries. For example: are you just writing your name on each with a sharpie or just labeling all of the cases the tools are in or printing labels for the tools?

I was thinking maybe some of those white paint pens that you see it craft stores ... writing my name on the bottom of the tool where the battery goes in so it doesn't stand out but still there. Or maybe those metal letter punch kits (kit w/ little letters on each metal post A-to-Z that you hit with a hammer in the back or heat up & press against plastic or wood) find a flat spot on the tool to lightly punch my initials or cleanly melt in ...what do you guys think?

I have Vinyl labels I take from work, I label them each with Date Purchased and my Initials.