Table saw Overarm Dust collector addition

tugnut1

Here is the finished product of my overarm dust collection attachment for my Ridgid R4512.  Everything below will let you know how and why I did what I did.

20161231_125147.jpg

I finished connecting all of my tools to my new dust collection system recently.  Now I am just tweeking some connections to optimize my dust collection abilities.  I've wanted an overarm dust collection system after the first time I was it on the SawStop cabinet saw.  You might not think so, but with a zero clearance insert plate on my tablesaw, I end up with a good amount of dust coming off the top of the blade....especially if I am cutting thicker stock.

Last week, I collected a lot of images off of the internet with what other people have done.  In case you were wondering, there isn't a lot of different units out there.  

I have the Ridgid R4512 tablesaw and this unit has one really useful feature that a lot of different saws don't have that makes add-ons to this unit simple.  the back railing that the fence rides on is made from two pieces.  In order to connect those pieces, there is a small bar that sits in a tee track and connects the two pieces.  Since this bar only takes up about 6 inches (if I remember correctly) there is plenty of space to add an outfeed table and this overarm unit.  I just used some toilet flange bolts to connect this unit to the saw through the T track.

20161211_152317.jpg

I had some of the unit welded up by a friend, but I didn't have all of the measurements, so I had to bolt some wooden braces to the unit.  This is temporary, so I will fix this soon.

20161211_152323.jpg

20161211_152214.jpg

I made the dust collection shoe so that it can be lifted up and down from the saw blade.  I still need to add some 2" bristles to this unit so I can slide the stuck under it and not affect the dust collection ability.  

20161211_152257.jpg20161211_152231.jpg20161211_152240.jpg

I attached to springs to the back of the arms to assist in the lifting of the shoe.  It really makes it nice for lifting and holding the unit in place.  

20161211_152250.jpg

I have the ability to move the shoe close to the blade either way to fit what I am cutting by adding some threads to the square tube I added to my smaller square tubing.

20161211_152333.jpg

You may have noticed the bungie cord attached to the top of the horizontal arm.  It was added since the long section of the arm has all of the weight and bounces a pretty good amount.  I have more permanent fix for this problem that I am going to have taken care of before the end of this week, so I will share pictures then.  

I still need to add the 2.5" hose to the shoe as well as the saw stache.  I just wanted to see if this was possible before I ordered the parts......so follow up pictures to come.

20161211_152205.jpg

20161211_152226.jpg

20161211_152344.jpg

• Like 3

Very cool, nice work I like your take on it! Comp just made one for his too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see it. I'll have to check for his post

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just found the thread......I do remember seeing it. As a matter of fact, it was the reason I started thinking about making it. I completely forgot. Comp does some awesome stuff.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

I didn't see it. I'll have to check for his post

I just found the thread......I do remember seeing it. As a matter of fact, it was the reason I started thinking about making it. I completely forgot. Comp does some awesome stuff.

yeah, that was cool, useful stuff sitting around waiting to have a second life as Comp's dust collection setup! @comp56

10 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

I finished connecting all of my tools to my new dust collection system recently.  Now I am just tweeking some connections to optimize my dust collection abilities.  I've wanted an overarm dust collection system after the first time I was it on the SawStop cabinet saw.  You might not think so, but with a zero clearance insert plate on my tablesaw, I end up with a good amount of dust coming off the top of the blade....especially if I am cutting thicker stock.

Last week, I collected a lot of images off of the internet with what other people have done.  In case you were wondering, there isn't a lot of different units out there.  

I have the Ridgid R4512 tablesaw and this unit has one really useful feature that a lot of different saws don't have that makes add-ons to this unit simple.  the back railing that the fence rides on is made from two pieces.  In order to connect those pieces, there is a small bar that sits in a tee track and connects the two pieces.  Since this bar only takes up about 6 inches (if I remember correctly) there is plenty of space to add an outfeed table and this overarm unit.  I just used some toilet flange bolts to connect this unit to the saw through the T track.

I had some of the unit welded up by a friend, but I didn't have all of the measurements, so I had to bolt some wooden braces to the unit.  This is temporary, so I will fix this soon.

I made the dust collection shoe so that it can be lifted up and down from the saw blade.  I still need to add some 2" bristles to this unit so I can slide the stuck under it and not affect the dust collection ability.  

I attached to springs to the back of the arms to assist in the lifting of the shoe.  It really makes it nice for lifting and holding the unit in place.  

I have the ability to move the shoe close to the blade either way to fit what I am cutting by adding some threads to the square tube I added to my smaller square tubing.

I still need to add the 2.5" hose to the shoe as well as the saw stache.  I just wanted to see if this was possible before I ordered the parts......so follow up pictures to come.

Do you think the added weight of the hose will be too much for the springs to hold it up? 

Do you think the added weight of the hose will be too much for the springs to hold it up? 

I don't think so. There should only be a couple of feet on it. Plus I have a thumb screw on one of the bolts to lock it into place if I need to.

great stuff, I didn't even notice you have the same R4512, ya mine is a bit more stream line in it is very simple and light weight. swings right up out of the way when not in use almost as if it is not even there.

it is no question 90% effective when a zero clearance insert is used. I tend to have it in the saw most as I usually cut large stock with band saw then jointer then planer then table saw to reach finished size

• Like 1

I had some time to tweek and work on my table saw dust collection attachment.  I decided to get rid of the wooden braces by adding some welded braces and then minimize the sagging at the end where the shoe attaches by running a cable with a turn buckle around the outside of the frame.  overarm3.jpg

I added the saw stache to the outside of the dust shoe.  This was pretty much the only real disappointment in my build.  I ordered the saw stache forgetting that there are at least two different siffnesses to bristles.  I was hoping to get bristles that were like the ones I got from the people at Kent CNC when they made the dust shoe for the X-carve...the second time.  The first one they made, the used stiff bristles and the second shoe they made had really soft bristles that flexed when it went over a board.  The ones I am using are really stiff and make it difficult to run wood under it easily.  Bummer.

overarm5.jpg

I also need to cut the extra length of bolts off and run them in the inside.  By leaving them outside, I figured I would eliminate any issue with potentially hitting them with the blade.  But by doing it this way, I can't get my push stick down the side without catching a bolt........all in the process.

I also quickly changed up how the springs were attached.

overarm 2.jpg

Lastly, I took it all apart, painted it grey to match the grey on the table saw legs and then made up Ridgid emblem on the X-Carve to make it look like it might come with the table saw.  This part was inspired by Comp56's zero clearance insert plate details.

overarm1.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not entirely happy with the shoe.  I believe I'm going to redo the shoe this next week or two.  The bristles are way too stiff.  I think that I am going to order some 3" bristles from Kent CNC and make the shoe very similar to their dust shoe for the X-Carve.  I'll share pictures as I go along.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tugnut1 said:

I'm not entirely happy with the shoe.  I believe I'm going to redo the shoe this next week or two.  The bristles are way too stiff.  I think that I am going to order some 3" bristles from Kent CNC and make the shoe very similar to their dust shoe for the X-Carve.  I'll share pictures as I go along.

I found the same problem with the first few I tried. but I found some from a very soft brush and they work great

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to find some 1/2" cast acrylic on amazon and ordered a 18" by 24" sheet so that I could cut a new shoe with my X-Carve.  The 1/2" stuff is expensive, but really cool to work with.

I also contacted Kent CNC (they make the split shoe for the X-Carve) and bought some 3" long bristles that ended up being much nicer to work with than the FastCap Sawstache.  It took an afternoon, but I am much happier with my dust shoe now.  

20161231_125142.jpg20161231_125120.jpg20161231_125135.jpg20161231_125147.jpg

• Like 2