Fuel hole hawg opinions

AnonymousJoe

I'm in the market and just looking for opinions from guys who use it. Ive read some mixed reviews specifically about power and runtime.  I have all 5.0 batteries so I'm not too concerned on that end, and I'd mostly use it for 1" and under holes so I know its capable, but I'm worried to buy it and use it and find that my hammer drill has more power then I'd probably be disappointed. The flexvolt s&d drill would be my next choice and to be honest I don't think I'm even interested in the super hawg.

I'm in the market and just looking for opinions from guys who use it. Ive read some mixed reviews specifically about power and runtime.  I have all 5.0 batteries so I'm not too concerned on that end, and I'd mostly use it for 1" and under holes so I know its capable, but I'm worried to buy it and use it and find that my hammer drill has more power then I'd probably be disappointed. The flexvolt s&d drill would be my next choice and to be honest I don't think I'm even interested in the super hawg.

Which hammer drill? If it's the 2704 or 996 I wouldn't drop the coin on just the Hawg, if it were me I think I'd go with the flex or the super, they flex is a beast but I prefer the hawg style

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I picked up the super hawg to fill a niche in my tool kit, and would not consider it for smaller holes in general. I can't comment on the regular hawg, but the super is more weight than I would prefer unless it was the only tool I had that would fit into a particular space that needed a hole cut that a smaller unit would not have the power to do so. I use a Makita side drill for 5/8" and 3/4" auger style bits and it works fine in that capacity. Haven't tried it with the one inch bit yet. For holes where I do not need a side drill, I use a standard drill for up to one inch plus hole sizes (up to 3" hole saws). So in the end, I think that unless you need a side drill specifically, the hawg might be overkill in the price department for what you may or may not gain in power.

• Like 2

Guy at work has the hole hawg, but it gets used with 2" and larger hole saws, and it's easier to get into places than a drill. Although i mainly use my fuel drill with the same sizes of hole saws and don't have a problem. I have been debating getting one myself and know it would be a beautiful addition, but just not at this time...

• Like 1

I've tried to talk myself into one for at least 6 months now and just can't. The regular Hole Hawg rated accessory specs are comparable to a DCD996, and I also have a 2704. If it was a 2 speed transmission so it had some beefy low end torque to it (instead of just pork?) I could do it. A single speed right angle drill mainly meant for ship auger bits and small to medium hole saws? Doesn't make sense for my usage.

Super Hawg is a beauty but $$$ and its awkward length limits storage options. I'd love to see a gen 2 Fuel Hole Hawg that's like a lighter duty version of the FlexVolt. I like the Hawg form factor better but DeBeast has a lot of power crammed into it. 

The final nail in the Fuel Hole Hawg coffin for me was KnarlyCarl explaining how efficient Big Hawg hole saws are. I'd rather put $200 CAD into better accessories that a multitude of my tools can use than $300 CAD into a drill that's going to see minimal service because it's single speed and has no safety clutch built in like the big boys do.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

I've tried to talk myself into one for at least 6 months now and just can't. The regular Hole Hawg rated accessory specs are comparable to a DCD996, and I also have a 2704. If it was a 2 speed transmission so it had some beefy low end torque to it (instead of just pork?) I could do it. A single speed right angle drill mainly meant for ship auger bits and small to medium hole saws? Doesn't make sense for my usage.

Super Hawg is a beauty but $$$ and its awkward length limits storage options. I'd love to see a gen 2 Fuel Hole Hawg that's like a lighter duty version of the FlexVolt. I like the Hawg form factor better but DeBeast has a lot of power crammed into it. 

The final nail in the Fuel Hole Hawg coffin for me was KnarlyCarl explaining how efficient Big Hawg hole saws are. I'd rather put $200 CAD into better accessories that a multitude of my tools can use than $300 CAD into a drill that's going to see minimal service because it's single speed and has no safety clutch built in like the big boys do.  

I agree with all this but I'll add that I will be using it for its intended purpose of roughing in electrical

I have the standard M18 Hole Hawg  with the standard chuck and not the quick connect. I choose the standard chuck because I have so many different bits I can use them all. I have used everything from 1/2" bit up to a 6" hole saw with no problem. It all boils down to what you are going to use it for.  

2 hours ago, AnonymousJoe said:

I agree with all this but I'll add that I will be using it for its intended purpose of roughing in electrical

Any my opinion is still that it's expensive for the a single speed drill that's mainly intended for 7/8" and 1" ship augur bits. Not only that but I've read far too many reviews mentioning it jamming up doing it's "intended purpose". 

• Like 1

Any my opinion is still that it's expensive for the a single speed drill that's mainly intended for 7/8" and 1" ship augur bits. Not only that but I've read far too many reviews mentioning it jamming up doing it's "intended purpose". 

Definitely does and way too easily. My boss has one. I'm not a fan. The high torque impact does a much better job with auger bits.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, khariV said:

So, on a sort of unrelated note, why does 7/16 even exist? Why wouldn't you just go bigger with 1/2 or smaller with 3/8? Is there some specific reason there's a 7/16 set of sockets?

Most 1/2 inch chucks won't fit a 1/2 inch hex bit because the points of the hex are a little more than 9/16 inch wide whereas the points of a 7/16 inch hex bit are only a tiny bit more than 1/2 inch wide.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Most 1/2 inch chucks won't fit a 1/2 inch hex bit because the points of the hex are a little more than 9/16 inch wide whereas the points of a 7/16 inch hex bit are only a tiny bit more than 1/2 inch wide.

That makes sense for the 7/16 shank on bits for the HH, but I was actually thinking about 7/16 impact drivers.  Specifically, I've seen this one around and was wondering what it's used for:

2765-20.jpg

Just drilling giant holes?  Wouldn't this thing kick the HH's butt up and down the street for self-feed bits and augers, of course assuming that clearance isn't an issue.

• Like 2

That makes sense for the 7/16 shank on bits for the HH, but I was actually thinking about 7/16 impact drivers.  Specifically, I've seen this one around and was wondering what it's used for:

2765-20.jpg

Just drilling giant holes?  Wouldn't this thing kick the HH's butt up and down the street for self-feed bits and augers, of course assuming that clearance isn't an issue.

Safer to use yes, more powerful yes because it won't jam up and kick you but not everything is impact rated, not sure if you could run self feeds on this either

• Like 1

Safer to use yes, more powerful yes because it won't jam up and kick you but not everything is impact rated, not sure if you could run self feeds on this either

Noah Racette, Hvac_artisan on IG uses this same tool with the Milwaukee switchblade self feeders, and claims no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

. I don't think it's the kind of tool you would try to use with a hole saw, answering the above question as to why you would need the HH if the 7/16" HTIW did the job. I adore my HH and run augers,self feeders, and now my Big Hawg hole saws, it definitely will get you into those hard to reach places, that a drill will not let you get into. I personally feel even though mine was a gift(I was planning on buying one) it has payed for itself. I typically still run my dw124 during initial rough in. And if there's changes to the layout, or holes missed I'll bring out the m18 HH

• Like 1

18 hours ago, khariV said:

2765-20.jpg

When you're 20+ feet up in the air after climbing a pole working utilities you don't want a Hole Hawg to toss you to your demise or serious injury. You use a high torque impact with augers to power through holes; the clip on it is so you can't drop the tool and kill someone. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, khariV said:

2765-20.jpg

Those use a 7/16 hex because the auger bits already were 7/16 and no one wants to pay for multiple auger sets.  Cordless impacts for utilities work are a fairly recent development, but 7/16 hex bits have been around a long time.  Someone posted an ancient 7/16 hex twist bit they found recently but I can't remember where.

As for why they use 7/16 hex with an adapter to 1/2 square and not the other way around,  a 1/2 square to 7/6 hex adapter will fall off when you pull the auger out unless you have a pin detent which is a pain to change up on a pole.

• Like 4

Those use a 7/16 hex because the auger bits already were 7/16 and no one wants to pay for multiple auger sets.  Cordless impacts for utilities work are a fairly recent development, but 7/16 hex bits have been around a long time.  Someone posted an ancient 7/16 hex twist bit they found recently but I can't remember where.

As for why they use 7/16 hex with an adapter to 1/2 square and not the other way around,  a 1/2 square to 7/6 hex adapter will fall off when you pull the auger out unless you have a pin detent which is a pain to change up on a pole.

I believe that Milwaukee has the 7/16" receiver built in.

I believe that Milwaukee has the 7/16" receiver built in.

They do have a model with a 7/16" chuck but Jeff mentioned on the adapters available that using a 1/2" to 7/16" doesn't work well unless you have a detention pin model, when you back bits out it pulls the adapters off hog rings

They do have a model with a 7/16" chuck but Jeff mentioned on the adapters available that using a 1/2" to 7/16" doesn't work well unless you have a detention pin model, when you back bits out it pulls the adapters off hog rings

That I understood, but i meant the model shown in picture has the 7/16" built into the tool, and I've always understood that you wouldn't wand to adapt it to a 1/2" anyway. Not that you couldn't