Thoughts on Triton drill combo

RooiValk

I just saw a Triton 20V hammer drill/impact driver combo (T20TP01) for $139.99, which seems like an absolute steal- less than half the price of most places. I have never used or even seen this brand in the flesh, but have heard good things about it. Anyone got first hand experience using Triton tools? How does it compare to the Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee ... etc?

I have only heard negative things about triton. I have no first hand expierence to back people's neigitve views up. I am sure someone here can speak first hand thoe. 

If you can afford another 50 or so bucks Home Depot an Lowes both have good deals. Most cheap sale kits at the stores will be brushed versions. If you dont need a top of the line powerhouse they should do fine. Ridgid an Porter cable are good starter price brands an will do most jobs. You can even find good deals on a few Millwakee an Dewalts along with Bosch.  

I was just looking at HD online an saw this deal. I really don't think it's bad at all. Like I said earlier Ridgid an Porter cable are great starter brands. They are pretty good products with very broad lines. Of all the brands Ridgid is really good for the money. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9624/206349868

Another thing you might want to consider is how bad you need a hammer option. Its a nice convience but I rarely use mine in hammer mode. Once again it just depends on your needs. If you don't need hammer option you'll save money an usually size/weight. 

You don't hear much about Triton, other than as Comp mentioned from April, you see a bit of it a Rockler and places like that but that is more of their routers and wood working tools, Ive heard a lot of good about their plunge router but I don't think that they are the OEM for that

I have tried a Triton oscillating drum sander but I thought my buddy paid to much for it considering what you get with the Ridgid model and the cost... 

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000723091.html?eid=PS_GOOGLE_HD+|+PLAs_Shopping+|+Power+Tools_Power+Tools&gclid=CMWcofT3_NACFQmTaQodFTwGZQ

5 hours ago, BMack37 said:

I wouldn't buy anything other than a big name because eventually you'll need more batteries. It makes most sense to buy based on an entire lineup rather than just a single tool deal because buying into another battery platform will cost you more in the long run.

Haha, we think alike then because I came close to pulling the trigger and it was the batteries that stopped me.  Long story short (or maybe not so short :) ), I had an 18V Hitachi set that worked great but I couldn't stomach paying for 2 new batteries (the old NiCads) when a new drill set was about $15 more. I had a 12v Bosch for small jobs and it fell apart, literally ... the whole chuck and innards went to cr@p and I had barely used it. Anyway I was lucky enough to switch it at Lowes for the 18V version long after warranty, but they only allowed me to take another Bosch and pay the difference. The 18v doesn't have much torque so needless to say, I'm not sold on Bosch at all, even though I know a lot of people are.  The $140 Triton set just looked like a great deal and I couldn't find anything bad about it. or anything good really, since barely anyone uses them.  They are expensive though so I was hoping that was because they are quality!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RooiValk said:

I just saw a Triton 20V hammer drill/impact driver combo (T20TP01) for $139.99, which seems like an absolute steal- less than half the price of most places. I have never used or even seen this brand in the flesh, but have heard good things about it. Anyone got first hand experience using Triton tools? How does it compare to the Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee ... etc?

The only thing I would say is if you bought this set I would seriously think about the usefulness of the platform itself. Here in the USA there is a limited number of Triton cordless tools available so..... I have heard multiple times that their routers are fantastic and I truly cannot comment on their tools outside of having handled a couple at a local Rockler. I really think this is a KILLER deal but buying a couple of tools that will instantly be limited due to variations of cordless tools would more likely than not make me pass this one over.

4 hours ago, RooiValk said:

Haha, we think alike then because I came close to pulling the trigger and it was the batteries that stopped me.  Long story short (or maybe not so short :) ), I had an 18V Hitachi set that worked great but I couldn't stomach paying for 2 new batteries (the old NiCads) when a new drill set was about $15 more. I had a 12v Bosch for small jobs and it fell apart, literally ... the whole chuck and innards went to cr@p and I had barely used it. Anyway I was lucky enough to switch it at Lowes for the 18V version long after warranty, but they only allowed me to take another Bosch and pay the difference. The 18v doesn't have much torque so needless to say, I'm not sold on Bosch at all, even though I know a lot of people are.  The $140 Triton set just looked like a great deal and I couldn't find anything bad about it. or anything good really, since barely anyone uses them.  They are expensive though so I was hoping that was because they are quality!

Just remember that the big brands can run big promos, resell value is probably better and they have bigger lineups. Want a cordless light options? You don't have much choice with Triton. Brushless options?

To me it makes more sense to put my money where I have more options. I also like big brands because more tools are sold so there's a bigger second-hand market. Also new batteries sold from combo kits for heavy discounts...big name brands check all of the boxes, some more than others.

^^ yeah if you want a platform then I would avoid. if you just want a drill and impact, then what's to lose on a deal like this?

Having said that, if you can get similar or more for your money on the Ryobi line (for instance) I'd suggest that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwain said:

^^ yeah if you want a platform then I would avoid. if you just want a drill and impact, then what's to lose on a deal like this?

Having said that, if you can get similar or more for your money on the Ryobi line (for instance) I'd suggest that.

Recon Milwaukee, Dewalt or Bosch from CPO is an option as well. Not sure if Makita recons are available...I think my Recon M18 compact drill and impact was $119 with two batteries, a bag and charger. That was my entry into Milwaukee's line. Bosch and PC had similar deals. PC was like $80 for drill and impact driver,  batteries, charger and bag. My friend got the PC drill, 2 batteries, charger and bag for like $50.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice. I'll check out the options at CPO, although for recon items my concern would be the batteries since that is, for the most part, what craps out on me in the long run. I don't used the tools enough for them to wear out or break before the batteries do (except the 12v Bosch I mentioned) :). HD has a special currently, where I can get the brushless drill/impact combo for $279, with a 3rd tool "free" (impact wrench, circ saw, extra 5Ah battery, radio ... etc). I thought it was a little on the expensive side as I don't know Ridgid tools well, but with the 3rd tool that seems good. I am extremely happy with my Ridgid table router and palm router. Thoughts?

23 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Ya ridgid is a strong budget contender really pro quality in a more home owner budget, kobalt 24 max is a good affordable option too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right, but I think it kinda traps you into to having to pay too much for simple or seldom use tools. I am a homeowner and couple of small rental properties manager/owner.  I have either Ryobi or Milwaukee, after seriously considering their lineup. I want all Milwaukee, but I have to be honest with myself and say will I use this tool that much(or can I afford it)? If the answer is no then I go for Ryobi, if yes Milwaukee. The Ridged 12 volt? palm nailer is nice, as it the Milwaukee, but I don't use it that much so I just get the ridgid head for my Ryobi multi tool and can use Ryobi batteries. Same thing for the circular saw. For me its either Ryobi or Milwaukee (preferably)Fuel. I just would not rather find myself wanting more qyuality or wishing I paid less because I don't use it much.

I guess the math of it is you can generally get 3 or 4 Ryobi tools for the price of two good Ridgid, and you can get 2 better Milwaukee tools for the price of three Ridgid.

Jimbo I also noticed you nice new Jigsaw. Let us know how it performs. I pause at getting it because I have this hunch that they will be coming out with a new one(?fuel?) soon.

• Like 1

You are right, but I think it kinda traps you into to having to pay too much for simple or seldom use tools. I am a homeowner and couple of small rental properties manager/owner.  I have either Ryobi or Milwaukee, after seriously considering their lineup. I want all Milwaukee, but I have to be honest with myself and say will I use this tool that much(or can I afford it)? If the answer is no then I go for Ryobi, if yes Milwaukee. The Ridged 12 volt? palm nailer is nice, as it the Milwaukee, but I don't use it that much so I just get the ridgid head for my Ryobi multi tool and can use Ryobi batteries. Same thing for the circular saw. For me its either Ryobi or Milwaukee (preferably)Fuel. I just would not rather find myself wanting more qyuality or wishing I paid less because I don't use it much.

I guess the math of it is you can generally get 3 or 4 Ryobi tools for the price of two good Ridgid, and you can get 2 better Milwaukee tools for the price of three Ridgid.

Jimbo I also noticed you nice new Jigsaw. Let us know how it performs. I pause at getting it because I have this hunch that they will be coming out with a new one(?fuel?) soon.

Will do! I have the m12 and love it but need a cordless with more power, I have a Bosch 572 that is a great precision machine but only problem is that black thing you have to plug into those box things to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk