DIY TV shows may increase power tool injuries

comp56

"A potential link between the popularity of DIY renovation television programs and hospitalisations from power tools will be the focus of a health study.

There is an increasing number of home-improvement enthusiasts ending up in the emergency room at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, according to ER research manager Dr Rob Eley.

The possible connection with home makeover shows has prompted a study into DIY-related injuries and how they could be prevented."

Full Story Here

• Like 2

Huh, who would have that that the average inexperienced jaghoff whit a powertool cold have hurt himself. Only been to the ER once, New Year's Eve, 11 at night, skid steer related injury. It wasn't from a DIY show. It was from this inexperienced jaghoff having headupassitis and cold feet.

• Like 4

Duh... This is just common sense. Is there truly a need to do a full "study" on this?

It's stuff like this that drive most of us crazy with government and the safety police.

This isn't a real problem at all, it's an opportunity for someone to start producing classes for these idiots and teach them how to not cut off a finger or break a leg.

Common sense will get the job done 99.5% of the time.

Why do they call it common sense when it isn't very common at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, albert.amantea said:

Duh... This is just common sense. Is there truly a need to do a full "study" on this?

It's stuff like this that drive most of us crazy with government and the safety police.

This isn't a real problem at all, it's an opportunity for someone to start producing classes for these idiots and teach them how to not cut off a finger or break a leg.

Common sense will get the job done 99.5% of the time.

Why do they call it common sense when it isn't very common at all?

HD should really promote their workshops in commercials. That could be a huge money maker for them and help the safety issue. It's amazing what a few pictures of people disregarding safety will get someone to walk over to the safety glasses to spend some money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, albert.amantea said:

And a bigger part of the problem is that the day shows dumb everything down, making it look simple to do. People don't realize that there are codes for a reason. They don't think about everything involved, because it isn't shown on the TV show.

and some are working with stuff the average person isn't going to even think about putting in their house $84 sq ft Egyptian Slate

for a 275 sq ft bathroom on the 3rd floor......I know what I'm doing and I wouldn't want to cut that shit....

• Like 1

and some are working with stuff the average person isn't going to even think about putting in their house $84 sq ft Egyptian Slate

for a 275 sq ft bathroom on the 3rd floor......I know what I'm doing and I wouldn't want to cut that shit....

Amen! Plus, they don't show the 15 carpenters, electricians, and plumbers, working behind the cameras, to get shit done in 3 days....

• Like 2

I have to say This Old House is pretty honest about the team behind them do does a ton of heavy lifting on the project. On Ask this old house they state the difficulty on a project saying that anything electrical should be left for an electrician. Plumping they can be 50/50 on for small drain and fresh water stuff. I had to mess with the gas line on my dryer. I was a little nervousness bot made sure everything was done up right an soaped all the fittings. Would be nice to have an explosive gas detector two double check.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DR99 said:

I have to say This Old House is pretty honest about the team behind them do does a ton of heavy lifting on the project. On Ask this old house they state the difficulty on a project saying that anything electrical should be left for an electrician. Plumping they can be 50/50 on for small drain and fresh water stuff. I had to mess with the gas line on my dryer. I was a little nervousness bot made sure everything was done up right an soaped all the fittings. Would be nice to have an explosive gas detector two double check.

Generally, I am fairly confident when adjusting gas lines, but less confident in existing materials and previous work, hence the latest purchase...

IMG_0301[1].JPG

One combustible gas detector.

If I had a dollar for every phone call I have gotten over the years that have started with "My wife and I or My husband and I thought that we could do this" My two favorite jobs that I looked at where a kitchen and a bathroom.

The bathroom job was one of those jobs were you just scratch or head and think to yourself what are they thinking. A family of 4 and they gut the only bathroom in the house and after 3 weeks they have leaking plumbing and an out of level tub and a leaning toilet plywood floor and open stud walls. Then when you tell them all of it is wrong and has to come out and it will take me and a helper or two five 10 hour days maybe I can get it done in a week and they should go stay at a hotel. All of a sudden I’m the bad guy. Then when you give them the price they give you that you are out of you Freaken mind look.

The kitchen job was 2 women that started to gut the kitchen 3 weeks before Christmas and had bought an Ikea kitchen that had 32 cabinets that had to be put together and hung. Walls, floor, plumbing and electric all done in 2 weeks so they could have their Christmas party. This kitchen was large and the worst part was I got to laughing about the time frame they asked me to leave.

• Like 3

What now you're gonna tell me Fast and Furious movies increase the number of car accidents?  Complete BS.

...whoops

Ya and breaking bad made people think anyone could make meth ha ha what's next the zombie apocalypse time to hack the safety off my nailers [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Ya and breaking bad made people think anyone could make meth ha ha what's next the zombie apocalypse time to hack the safety off my nailers emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The secret is small fingers and you can disengage your safety with one finger and pull the trigger with the other one.

• Like 2

Huh, who would have that that the average inexperienced jaghoff whit a powertool cold have hurt himself. Only been to the ER once, New Year's Eve, 11 at night, skid steer related injury. It wasn't from a DIY show. It was from this inexperienced jaghoff having headupassitis and cold feet.

My mom calls that Dumbassitis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Amen! Plus, they don't show the 15 carpenters, electricians, and plumbers, working behind the cameras, to get shit done in 3 days....

Or the drywall guys messing everything thing up so we can do it over again without any budging of the timeframe

• Like 2

I've worked residential jobs when I worked for my dad. I have no desire to ever do any residential job ever in my life ever again. I like doing some work indoor, just not the other aspects.

It's definitely not for everyone. I've met a few journeyman sparkys who did nothing but run conduit in commercial spaces. Two didn't last a week. One stayed with us for years. The only thing about that guy was that he did not want any Forman type responsibility.

• Like 2