Garage heater placement.

rrich1

I am having a co worker who happens to be an electrician come over and hook up a 240v garage heater for me. I originally wanted to put it in the corner near the circuit breaker and my workbench to keep from running a huge line of wire. I just hung it up and now am not sure. I have it on the high ceiling setting right now if I keep it there I will move the wood storage to someplace else. Would it being on the other end of the garage be better? It says a minimum of 8 inches from a wall and it is at least 11 from the back and more from the left wall.

41e7803b0850f06acd52d2b909f5cec5.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Nice Rich, I'm researching something for my basement shop now.

I got this one at Menard's for $200. Originally over $300. 7500 watt I believe. Dont mind the mess. I have literally been throwing just places while trying to finish the bathroom. I started cleaning up after the pic. Not even going to show the other direction lol.

• Like 2

my buddy went through this as well however he has 12 foot ceilings so he also installed a 72" ceiling fan low profile style to push the air down made a world of a difference, another buddy put his heat in the far corner and ran a small 12" fan blowing against the opposite wall to keep air moving both set ups work great we live in winter weather near 40- and you can work in either shop wth just a T-shirt 

• Like 2

Let us know how it works out once it's all wired up. I spent way too much time last week looking into garage heaters, so I'm definitely interested in hearing how this ends up.

Will do. It is going in at 0830 tomorrow. Of course it is in the 40s this week. I could have used it 2 weeks ago when it was in the negatives!

• Like 1

my buddy went through this as well however he has 12 foot ceilings so he also installed a 72" ceiling fan low profile style to push the air down made a world of a difference, another buddy put his heat in the far corner and ran a small 12" fan blowing against the opposite wall to keep air moving both set ups work great we live in winter weather near 40- and you can work in either shop wth just a T-shirt 

I'm hoping with the placement of the fan it will allow me to keep the heat lower and on less frequently due to the proximity of where I will be to it.

• Like 1

Will do. It is going in at 0830 tomorrow. Of course it is in the 40s this week. I could have used it 2 weeks ago when it was in the negatives!

Hah, no kidding! That's what made me start looking - trying to finish Christmas presents in the garage while it was -10 outside. Miserable experience! Hopefully the heater works out well for you.

Stay warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

my neighbor only has a 20' x 20' shop/garage he insulated it well and runs a propane heater right out of a scrapped camper, 100LBs tank lasts 2 seasons and is quite nice in there to work very cheap heat.......mind you he is a weekend warrior so it is not on full time.....

• Like 2

Wood stove or propane would have been good options but a few reasons why I didn't go with them. 1. No floor or wall space to put them. 2. I have two kids 4 and under. They know better and I know wouldn't have messed with it but this way it is up and out of the way. I don't plan to keep the heat up by any means. It is meant to keep me from freezing in there and take the edge off. Probably be the highest around 50 degrees.

• Like 1

Well this sounds familiar! My dads coworker, who also just so happens to be an electrician is running a couple of lines into our garage, one of which is for a heater! 

Awesome. What did you get. I also got an outlet installed that is wired for 220 but reduced for 110 use right now. I'll I will have to do is change the outlet and put in a 220 breaker and I'm all set. You know just in case I get some better tools in the future [emoji106] [emoji16]

6 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

Awesome. What did you get. I also got an outlet installed that is wired for 220 but reduced for 110 use right now. I'll I will have to do is change the outlet and put in a 220 breaker and I'm all set. You know just in case I get some better tools in the future emoji106.pngemoji16.png

I know exactly what you mean. Were having 3 lines brought in. 1 for a set of outlets, 1 for the heater and 1 for a main outlet that my compressor will be plugged into. Right now, there is a 220 line in the garage that was disconnected by the previous owner. So if we can find the other end of that line we will hook it back up for, like you said, if I ever get better tools! A friend of my dad actually gave this unit it to us so Im not sure of the brand but it is a 5000W which should be sufficient for my 19'x19' garage . And like you said, we only want to get the chill out so when it is 0 degrees outside, 50 degrees feels pretty warm!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveJr. said:

I know exactly what you mean. Were having 3 lines brought in. 1 for a set of outlets, 1 for the heater and 1 for a main outlet that my compressor will be plugged into. Right now, there is a 220 line in the garage that was disconnected by the previous owner. So if we can find the other end of that line we will hook it back up for, like you said, if I ever get better tools! A friend of my dad actually gave this unit it to us so Im not sure of the brand but it is a 5000W which should be sufficient for my 19'x19' garage . And like you said, we only want to get the chill out so when it is 0 degrees outside, 50 degrees feels pretty warm!

Sometimes taking the chil out of the air is all you need

1 hour ago, Foneguy said:

Cold front coming tonight ....should  hit the 40's at my house for a low ....... 

that could be rough ......????

I think my shower was that cold this monring 40....lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foneguy said:

Cold front coming tonight ....should  hit the 40's at my house for a low ....... 

that could be rough ......????

The cold front came through last night.  We are in the 60's today, was worried I might have to wear long sleeves.

• Like 1