10.8V SDS Plus - Brushless Sighted

kornomaniac

with the subcompact 18v I really don't understand why have a lower voltage battery platform.  If you need a lighter sds, just make one on the 18v platform.  Hitachi even has compact 3ah batteries.  It seems like a useless platform to me considering the potential of just lighter 18v tools.

I love the 12v stuff but not for concrete, even subcompact makita is still heavier than slim pack on a 12v tool, sometimes you just can't beat the slenderness and weight of the little guys but the sub compact comes real close

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

8 hours ago, danielicrazy said:

with the subcompact 18v I really don't understand why have a lower voltage battery platform.  If you need a lighter sds, just make one on the 18v platform.  Hitachi even has compact 3ah batteries.  It seems like a useless platform to me considering the potential of just lighter 18v tools.

I think that's why they started making 18V subcompact, but for some people 12V is enough.  I think the idea is they share enough parts to minimize design and manufacturing costs.

I'm hoping they pull this into the 18V line as well.  A subcompact 18V rotary hammer would be awesome.

9 hours ago, danielicrazy said:

You're probably the only one that thinks a 12v platform is useless :P

14 hours ago, danielicrazy said:

Milwaukee 12v lineup is why I love the lower voltage battery platform

• Like 1

to me some tools are made to increase the range for users of a given platform. The M12 FUEL circ for instance, or the BL 12V Rotary Hammer like this. Most would be better served by an 18V unit, but for those on the 12V line, it's a nice option to have.

i'm reading a lot of support for the lower voltage lines, but not a ton of reasons.  Okay, it can be a little bit lighter and maybe a bit more compact (compared to 18v subcompact versions or possible sub compact versions bigger 18v tools)  is that "little bit" benefit worth having 2 battery platforms? 

18 minutes ago, danielicrazy said:

i'm reading a lot of support for the lower voltage lines, but not a ton of reasons.  Okay, it can be a little bit lighter and maybe a bit more compact (compared to 18v subcompact versions or possible sub compact versions bigger 18v tools)  is that "little bit" benefit worth having 2 battery platforms? 

Coming from a professional user, the pod style 12v really gets me into and out of some really tight spots where I know the 18v would be that much larger and not possible to access the spots I've used the 12v tools in. Funny enough, the 12v oscillating tool gets some really tight cuts of drain pipe where just about anything else is out of the question. Hand saw? Maybe, if I wanted a major cramp and wanted to waste 1/2 hour getting it cut. 

Now, since Makita no longer makes the pod style 12v tools, I can see your point. But there's a reason I use the pod style of Milwaukee 12v as I just explained, so you have two different users to satisfy

• Like 1

Coming from a professional user, the pod style 12v really gets me into and out of some really tight spots where I know the 18v would be that much larger and not possible to access the spots I've used the 12v tools in. Funny enough, the 12v oscillating tool gets some really tight cuts of drain pipe where just about anything else is out of the question. Hand saw? Maybe, if I wanted a major cramp and wanted to waste 1/2 hour getting it cut. 

Now, since Makita no longer makes the pod style 12v tools, I can see your point. But there's a reason I use the pod style of Milwaukee 12v as I just explained, so you have two different users to satisfy

Yeah the m12's can go just about anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been in some tight attics where you don't have much room to,work and not having to carry full sized 18v tools with you and drag them along is a huge plus, not everybody has a need for both but there is a lot of us here that utilize the best of both worlds, plus she your working by yourself having a lighter tool is a huge benefit in many cases

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, danielicrazy said:

I'll start off by saying the argument for slide style 12V is much weaker than pod style 12V.

The utility depends a lot on how many hours a day you deal with that little bit of weight, especially overhead.  It's also relevant for people who wear out the tools after a couple years so a second line distributes wear.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

What would be the difference then for you between a pod/slide style battery?  A slide style battery adds to the height of the tool. Not to the head lenght.    The height of the tool is most of the time not the problem in a tight situation.  The head Lenght is what you want as small as possible :)  In that regard Makita BL 12V drills are the shortest on the market. Even if they have a slide pack.

20 hours ago, danielicrazy said:

' a Little bit' is subjective.  The 12V Drill is 1200 grams with a fat pack.  If you take the subcompact Makita DDF483 with a pack pack you're adding +300 grams.

That's alot of extra compared to the original weight of a 12V tool.

Even more important:  The 12V Makita drill is better balanced then it's 18v counter part.  If you're working in tight situations or overhead id really rather have a lighter weight tool :)

• Like 1