Dewalt 9ah

Framer joe

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

Does any one know how many amps you can go up in the same size 60v 2ah pack ?  Like in 20v max the 3ah,4ah,5ah are all the same size battery ....

When you use the 2500 mAh and 3000 mAh 18650 cells your current draw is limited compared to the 2000 mAh. I would think they could do a 2.5/7.5 but cost might be prohibitive compared to jumping to a 3.0/9.0. It would be the FlexVolt equivalent of an XR5.0 whereas the current lowend FlexVolt is equivalent to a 4.0 with an extra row of cells. 

Thanks Bremon..so they could do a 60v /7.5 at the same size as the 60v 2.0 but more cost affordable to go to 3.0/9.0 .....really hoping batteries don't keep getting bigger then the 60v 3.0/9.0..just to big ....but if that's the max size ok...like 12ah 20v max or 4ah60v ....

They could do 3.0/9.0 at the size of current 2.0/6.0 but could run into overheating packs and disappointing runtimes because of poorer discharge rates. Doesn't seem to affect Milwaukee 9.0 which is using 18650 but I think we will see Dewalt has more ambitious plans for FlexVolt than Milwaukee might for their 9.0. 

I think 20700 cells for power tools are in their infancy so I would expect 12+ ah packs at the 3.0/9.0 size rather than getting bigger. 18650 are pretty much maxed out I think. 

• Like 2

To quote my self from another forum:

"as I understand it the discharge rate of 18650 cells above 2.5ah are not very adequate for the high demand put on them by most tools where as 20700 cells have larger headroom to go beyond 3ah. I suspect Milwaukee's 9ah (using 15 3ah 18650 cells) can overcomes this problem due to the vast stable of brushless tools that require somewhat less dischage of the battery. Dewalt on the other hand has mostly brushed motors out in the hands of their users and wouldn't want to gamble on potentially exploding batteries."

40.pngpchem315:

Are they in the 9Ah FlexVolt?

Yes, the 9Ah FlexVolt batteries definitely are using 20700. You can see the 9.0Ah batteries are larger to accommodate the 20700 cells.

@cr8ondt has got it right, at least up to his speculation, but it's inline with what I heard.The speculation from the NPS16 attendees is that Milwaukee was late bringing out the 9.0Ah battery because the 3ah 16850s are right on the edge of viability and they were having heat issues, but Milwaukee never verified that.

I would suspect Milwaukee overcomes the current draw issue by having a weaker grinder, mitre saw, Super Hawg, etc. From what I've been told Dewalt has some ridiculous aspirations for FlexVolt and the 20700 is as much about future-proofing as it is about supporting current tools. Last years #worldsfirst stuff was just the beginning from what I've been told. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

Thanks Bremon... 12ah at the 3.0/9.0 size would be awesome...so that would be 20v max 12ah and 60v at 4ah...i  think......I think if they get up to 60v at 6ah that would be more then enough for all day work on any tool

6 is quite a stretch, 5 as of yet is doubtful but 4/12 is a very likely.... Give it a year or two and who knows lol

Haven't seen this mentioned but if anyone cares, the size of the cell is actually the part number...

18650 is 18mm diameter x 65mm length

20700 is 20mm x 70mm

18650 cells are truly at their limit at 3000mah. The heat generated at high amp discharge just burns them up and shortens the life.

20700 cells have lots of headroom at 3000mah, and are on par to hit close to 5000mah at the ceiling before its all done.

However, with the efficiency of the tools going up so quickly, I don't necessarily think there will be a strong need for batteries above 6ah sizes. Yeah, it can be done, but the tool becomes so heavy and unweilding at that point, I don't want to have to carry and use the darn thing. Just give me a few 4ah or 5ah batteries, and a better, quicker charger (maybe a dual input voltage of 12/120 volts with a 30 minute charge time for 5ah batteries).. Or contact charging like bosch or even maybe a tough system charger powered by a massive battery pack enough to charge say 5 or 6 5ah batteries

With a setup like that, I'd run circles around anyone with a 9ah setup.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, albert.amantea said:

Haven't seen this mentioned but if anyone cares, the size of the cell is actually the part number...

18650 is 18mm diameter x 65mm length

20700 is 20mm x 70mm

18650 cells are truly at their limit at 3000mah. The heat generated at high amp discharge just burns them up and shortens the life.

20700 cells have lots of headroom at 3000mah, and are on par to hit close to 5000mah at the ceiling before its all done.

However, with the efficiency of the tools going up so quickly, I don't necessarily think there will be a strong need for batteries above 6ah sizes. Yeah, it can be done, but the tool becomes so heavy and unweilding at that point, I don't want to have to carry and use the darn thing. Just give me a few 4ah or 5ah batteries, and a better, quicker charger (maybe a dual input voltage of 12/120 volts with a 30 minute charge time for 5ah batteries).. Or contact charging like bosch or even maybe a tough system charger powered by a massive battery pack enough to charge say 5 or 6 5ah batteries

With a setup like that, I'd run circles around anyone with a 9ah setup.

That would really depend on the tool being used, for example Milwaukee 2715 fuel rotary hammer drill. Drilling a 25mm dia hole paired will 9ah battery will run circles around the same drill with 5ah battery. 9ah gives the drill more power, drilling time is quicker and the 5ah battery overheats pretty quickly 

It's interesting ....I agree battery weight is going to come into play...I think Dewalt will go up to 60v / 4ah ,and 20v max 8ah...I mean that's enough for all day....then I hope Milwaukee and Dewalt can get different cells for more compact batteries ...like a slim 5ah..and 20 min charge times.....I'm excited about this years new tools coming out....

• Like 1

It's here the 20v 9ah / 60v 3ah....it's BIG.....Does anyone know what the 2 round holes are on top of the new 9ah ? (Heat disperse?)......batteries in order.......................9ah,6ah (Flexvolt) 6ah (20v max) 5ah,2ah..

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

It's difficult to tell from the photo but it looks like it has the same texture as the "moisture indicators" on phones. They'll change color when they're exposed to moisture and ultimately leading to warranty denial.

12 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

That's an expensive drop of water if it voids the warranty , lol ? Scary thought...

Have you ever had a battery crap the bed on you? I haven't. When they're available around me I'll be the guinea pig if you guys like. The interior of these batteries are generally sprayed and potted, the M18 batteries have drainage holes on the bottom. 

• Like 1