Sanding grit for spray painted wood

khariV

I'm building some shelves for the house that are going to be painted.  The shelves themselves are built from pine with poplar edging, so nothing terribly fancy.  I decided to paint them to hide a multitude of sins and mistakes building them as this is my first really large scale project and I'm still figuring out what works and what doesn't work.

So, on to the question.  I'm currently sanding in preparation for the primer coat.  I was wondering what grit sand paper is sufficient for a spray painted finish?  I know that you don't want to too fine grit for stain, but is spray paint the same?   I've currently got them pretty smooth to the touch, but that really only required 120.  How fine a grit is sufficient - 120? 240? 500? 

I'd love input so that I don't end up sanding endlessly for no good reason but I also want it to look as nice as is reasonably possible even given the fact that I'm a nub.

thanks

the best way to get a good painted finish is to sand evenly sand to 120g give it a light coat of paint then once dry (24 hours or less depending on paint ) sand with 180g then 220g wipe off with damp cloth or blow off and give it more paint. Once dry give it a quick rub/wipe with 000 steel wool then give it a coat of clear for protection. I know this is a long process but the results are what counts especially if it is visible.

2 hours ago, comp56 said:

the best way to get a good painted finish is to sand evenly sand to 120g give it a light coat of paint then once dry (24 hours or less depending on paint ) sand with 180g then 220g wipe off with damp cloth or blow off and give it more paint. Once dry give it a quick rub/wipe with 000 steel wool then give it a coat of clear for protection. I know this is a long process but the results are what counts especially if it is visible.

Thanks for the detail. I'm ok with the finishing taking a while as long as long as it looks good and lasts. The shelves are going to be in a kids room, so hard wearing is definitely a plus. 

Is there any specific sort of clear coat that you would recommend? Plain polyurethane?

• 4 years later...

Generally, sanding the primer with very fine sandpaper 180-or 220 grit will smack down the raised grain and leave behind a smooth surface for the next primer coat, and then finally the paint topcoat. You can use an orbital accomplish sander, but hand sanding with a sanding block wrapped in sandpaper is just as powerful.