Thoughts On Used Tools....

comp56

so you see a great deal on a used tool, do you rush out and grab it off some guy that bought it 3 months ago claims he tried it 3 times and doesn't have a use for it? what are your thoughts???

I now I generally don't like buying used tools, especially smaller hand held stuff, but I will look a little closer to larger stuff. 

• Like 3

For me it depends on what I am looking at and what price they are asking. I wouldn't buy a used level, but most hand tools that are name brand definitely. I will also study the pictures they have of the tools. If the background is clean I am more likely to go look at them, but if there is crap everywhere and nothing looks like it has been taken care of I won't. If you are looking at anything electric then you need to do some homework on it. Does the tool have a good reputation and what are the common things to go wrong. Plus when you look at it make sure you smell the motor area. Run it some then smell. If it has been abused you will generally be able to tell. I have bought some high end tools used and had no problems, especially on the cheating husband special. Used tools can be a good buy, you just have to be careful and look them over. Keep in mind craftsmen tools you can take back without a receipt no problem, but I have been hassled trying to exchange kobalt tools without a receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I prefer to buy new, from no place specific, If its a one time unique item , I go to HF.....

just like @comp56 if it a larger power tool, I would give it a second look. (Kinda like a buying a used car in the 80's)

I take care of my stuff, so when it's time to upgrade/replace, i sell pretty guick  on CL.

I'm strange that way.

I sell stuff on kijiji regularly, I only buy new-in-box stuff off kijiji though. I don't trust people otherwise. Hand tools go on sale often enough I just buy them new; I intend to keep them for a lifetime so the little extra it costs is justified. Doesn't help that people always seem to want an arm

and a leg around here for their used stuff. 

• Like 2

I sell stuff on kijiji regularly, I only buy new-in-box stuff off kijiji though. I don't trust people otherwise. Hand tools go on sale often enough I just buy them new; I intend to keep them for a lifetime so the little extra it costs is justified. Doesn't help that people always seem to want an arm

and a leg around here for their used stuff. 

I know what you mean about cl. I never would have thought HF tools would appreciate in value, but I see them for sale often for more then you can buy them at the store for.

The best deals I have gotten on used tools have been from someone who is retiring and getting rid of stuff, or has had a career change and is no longer in the trade. Never count out the scorn lovers liquidation sale because she generally sells the stuff for what he said he paid for them not what they actually cost.

I'm fine with buying used on good deals on professional grade hand tools. I like to see the picture of the actual tool and not a stock photo. If it just says something like "used power tool" I tend to assume it's stolen. Just don't buy the 186 things that some a-hole is trying to sell of mine.

• Like 2

I see that stuff constantly. I guess they think because they were suckered in they can do it to someone else. I understand paying a premium when the truck brings the tools to your box, but it has gotten excessive in my opinion.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, the fact that it is referred to as a torque ranch not once, but twice is very reassuring that it saw proper use.

It is a multi purpose tool it works as a ratchet, torque wrench, and also breaker bar for those tough bolts.

Really depends. I'll buy used anything sometimes depends on who is selling.  Large machinery etc I'll buy used if I'm able to make sure everything is in working order. I won't buy abused tools, I take pride in my tools. I expect the seller to be same way.  Never afraid to say no if something is off.  Or offer a lower price. Used tools is a very grey area. 

• Like 2

I typically shy away from power tools on the second hand market unless A: It is a new item either in the box or separated from a kit, or B: It's a fantastic price on a tool I couldn't afford otherwise and has a low potential for abuse, like diagnostic equipment and such.

Hand tools are a different situation entirely. They are, for the most part, a "what you see is what you get" commodity and abuse is evident. If they look fine, they probably are. You can also save 40-50% off retail if you've got time to wait for a deal to come along. 

• Like 2

I don't mind buying used at all but you can tell a lot by reading the listing and looking at pictures. If the post sounds like it was written by a third grader, they probably abused it. Well written, they probably took care of it. For example the ROS I just bought, I say some drywall residue on it but not a lot. The case was in tact but dusty, cord was wrapped up and put properly in place...I bet it was bought for a home renovation or a repair and that's it.

It gets harder buying from pawn shops but basically if you buy something that is a bulletproof item, it will probably be fine. Other than that, you better make sure you're getting a good deal. I really only pay about how much I could sell it in non-working condition unless it looks brand new...like the Milwaukee scores I had last year.

• Like 2

I try to stay away from used tools but I was given a Hitachi TR 12 plunge router from one of my neighbors about a year ago and it is brilliant, though, he said it was hardly ever used and he seems like the bloke who takes care of his tools. It came with some things that were still in the original packaging. I think if you know the person and it looks in pristine condition I would but used tools otherwise it would stay very far away from them.

• Like 1

It is all about the source. Pawn shops and Craig's list can be pigs in a poke, but for the most part you can look at a tool and tell if it has been abused, is unused or had a bad "restoration". I picked up my first tablesaw and planer from a pawn shop for about half price for each one. I ended up buying the guard and some new blades for the saw which now has a happy home with the local Habitat for Humanity chapter. The planer on the other hand needed more work, a set of blades and a hold-down upgrade kit as well as replacing the damaged dust collection shroud, totalling probably $150 in parts. Both were as good as new and I still had money in my pocket that I wouldn't have if they were purchased new. The 4 piece reconditioned tool kit I bought in 2008 while deployed to Iraq amazes me, aside from one battery, it is as good as the day it was purchased. I wonder if I am ever going to get to replace these 18 volt tools. If I can find a reconditioned tool for less than new, with the same as new warranty, I always jump on it. Another source of used tools I am not scared of is Lowe's "rental" department, I know it doesn't really exist, but all kinds of folks will buy a tool use it for a job and return it in a few days or a week. It is how I ended up with my big DeWALT angle grinder. It was covered in fine white dust, was purchased with a diamond blade and returned a few days later. The purchaser even remembered to return the box, bag wrench and 5 unused discs that came with it. A day or two of cutting patio pavers will probably not make much difference on the life of a disc grinder any way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I buy used tools all the time I just got a wright 3/4 socket set sae and metric with 24" ratchet for $100 and a 100pc+ blue point socket set with wrenches for $100 and it retails for $514 ,I got them at my local pawn shop also got a whole box of snap on,sk and other pro brands sockets for $5 out of the loose tool bin have got many great truck brand tools like that. Craigslist can be good as well or ebay sometimes but lol just paid $165 for 4 snap on screwdrivers but they are the rare grey instinct grips still in plastic but they are rare and took me 8-9 months to fine my wife's has pink snap on and matco and that stuff is high. EBay is definitely good when buying used truck brand tools just have to take your time and look for best deals but pawn shop will always be my favorite don't if think or wonder if it's stolen or anything becuase really no way to know to heck with it just keep your receipts. Buying used is the way to go i even buy used on the snap on truck lol and he lets me warranty whatever and dont care where or how I got them I feel bad to the guys that buy everything new if you save like me you can get more tools along with the ones you wanted.

• Like 1