Name That Tool

Conductor562

@Stercorarius You are close enough, it does have to do with wrist pins, but it is specialized in a manner somewhat unique to Porsche...

Porsche tool number P9500. Short name; Wrist pin tool. Long name; Wrist pin spring clip (circlip) installation tool. It is a tool that is very specific to it's task and is used in the assembly of Porsche air cooled engine piston sets. Any authorized dealer or their master mechanic, approved to work on engines, is required to have one. Any Porsche dealer authorized to perform certain levels of service is routinely sent tool packs along with a bill. There is no argument of price, and the dealer just strokes the check. These tools are expensive for what they are; so much so, in some cases, that some enthusiasts produce their own copies, or have a machine shop do it for them. The tool is also nearly a requirement for the piston assembly process. You could install the spring clips without the tool, and the older engine clips are thin enough to not be an issue, but if you slip, especially on newer engines with thicker clips, that puppy becomes a bullet shooting across the shop. Having it makes the process easy and painless. The tool itself can be found on Porsche numbered tool catalog lists and generally is available through the dealer network. There are a few sources outside of the network, but they wouldn't be of the discount type. It is also very rare to find one on the used market. As KnarlyCarl put it; one of those buy once, cry once tools. Mine may sit in a drawer forever unused, in it's obscurity...

Hint#1 was just a nudge in the general direction.

Hint#2 was a direct push towards brand and vehicle model number that could be used for an image search that would have revealed the name and use of the tool from a post on a different forum. Porsche uses model numbers on all vehicles and the one that would have given the answer was the 993. The Boxster in that thread is a model 986S.

Hint#3 manufacturer tools are numbered in many instances, such as in the case of Porsche and Ferrari. Their catalog ordering numbers however are completely different.

Hint#4 a pointer towards the bottom end of the engine.

Hint#5 an attempt to get someone to think about the size and shape of the part it is used on.

Hint#6 the number of cylinders or pistons, the number of items in the engine it was used on.

Hint#7 a push back towards tool/vehicle brand.

I had some other hints ready, but they were getting on towards the obvious...

Your turn...

• Like 3

@Stercorarius You are close enough, it does have to do with wrist pins, but it is specialized in a manner somewhat unique to Porsche...

Porsche tool number P9500. Short name; Wrist pin tool. Long name; Wrist pin spring clip (circlip) installation tool. It is a tool that is very specific to it's task and is used in the assembly of Porsche air cooled engine piston sets. Any authorized dealer or their master mechanic, approved to work on engines, is required to have one. Any Porsche dealer authorized to perform certain levels of service is routinely sent tool packs along with a bill. There is no argument of price, and the dealer just strokes the check. These tools are expensive for what they are; so much so, in some cases, that some enthusiasts produce their own copies, or have a machine shop do it for them. The tool is also nearly a requirement for the piston assembly process. You could install the spring clips without the tool, and the older engine clips are thin enough to not be an issue, but if you slip, especially on newer engines with thicker clips, that puppy becomes a bullet shooting across the shop. Having it makes the process easy and painless. The tool itself can be found on Porsche numbered tool catalog lists and generally is available through the dealer network. There are a few sources outside of the network, but they wouldn't be of the discount type. It is also very rare to find one on the used market. As KnarlyCarl put it; one of those buy once, cry once tools. Mine may sit in a drawer forever unused, in it's obscurity...

Hint#1 was just a nudge in the general direction.

Hint#2 was a direct push towards brand and vehicle model number that could be used for an image search that would have revealed the name and use of the tool from a post on a different forum. Porsche uses model numbers on all vehicles and the one that would have given the answer was the 993. The Boxster in that thread is a model 986S.

Hint#3 manufacturer tools are numbered in many instances, such as in the case of Porsche and Ferrari. Their catalog ordering numbers however are completely different.

Hint#4 a pointer towards the bottom end of the engine.

Hint#5 an attempt to get someone to think about the size and shape of the part it is used on.

Hint#6 the number of cylinders or pistons, the number of items in the engine it was used on.

Hint#7 a push back towards tool/vehicle brand.

I had some other hints ready, but they were getting on towards the obvious...

Your turn...

I'm sorry I didn't mean to jump in the middle of yours. I miss read what was going on and thought the answer was guessed. I will put myself in forum jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JMG said:

Hint #7 Dealer master mechanic may be required to keep one in his kit, even if he never gets to use it. :ph34r:

Tricky ninja there, i was picking up on the hints on different threads, but completely wrong work for me to be remotely interested in its use.....

23 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Very similar design to one. Different application, and sold as a different product. You might be able to use it as a Carver but it costs more than a Carver.

I know what it is if it isn't a carver?....a hoof trimmer

• Like 1

I do, but I had a different name for it, and I cheated to find it's real name... -_-

Which took me down that rabbit hole for many hours and I ended up surfing through Norris planes currently for sale...

@comp56 Since no one else took a shot at it today... The name I had for your tool was "spoke tenoner", but that, as it turns out is just one of it's many possible uses. The name I found for it after searching for what I thought it was, is Hollow Auger, which is what I might have associated more with the well drilling industry.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JMG said:

I do, but I had a different name for it, and I cheated to find it's real name... -_-

Which took me down that rabbit hole for many hours and I ended up surfing through Norris planes currently for sale...

@comp56 Since no one else took a shot at it today... The name I had for your tool was "spoke tenoner", but that, as it turns out is just one of it's many possible uses. The name I found for it after searching for what I thought it was, is Hollow Auger, which is what I might have associated more with the well drilling industry.

you are correct, Hollow Auger is the proper name or at least that is what my father called it, the other part that usually goes with it is a spoke pointer.....

Alrighty then... Here we have a tool made for Woodcraft Supply, back before the days of the Internetz...

IMG_0346[1].JPG

This is more of a What is it used for?... as it would take me much too long to dig the receipt out of the tax files to find what they actually called it twenty five years ago.

• Like 1