Armstrong and Allen Getting Shut Down?

Stercorarius

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

actually the official seal on the tools say "this tool is proudly made in the USA with global materials".

Yep. Dewalt began assembly operations in Maryland a couple years back. It's not a true US Made tool, but it's sure as hell a step in the right direction 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bremon said:

You mean assembled with global materials? Is there a single USA-made power tool anymore? 

Plus, hard to pay for a wedding with metabo, festool, etc. on the brain @JimboS1ice

Ya thats what i meant, my bad lol and ya for what this wedding is costing me i could have bought a whole arsenal of metabo and festool!!!

On 1/14/2017 at 9:07 AM, Stercorarius said:

I mean not a single person on here has said they own an Armstrong tool, and the opinion here it seems is that you wouldn't buy any of their tools because of a lack of commitment to American manufacturing. If no one buys their American tools they don't really have any option other than to cease American manufacturing. I'm all for made in the US and buying American made tools when I can. 

late to the party (again).

sad, another old USA name bites the dust, especially when driven by the greed of the (mis)management

i have armstrong. i like the chrome finish on wrenches, in fact, the armstrongs live in drawers away from the worker wrenches.

saltus, combos, ratcheting combos, dbe. ratchets live with their brethren, stored by size. i think theres about 10 or so rats.

i have been buying menard's masterforce sockets as replacements/fill ins. they're made in the same USA plant as armstrong. the chrome finish is very good.

workers on the left, museum pieces on the right.

arm1_zpsgzjyagvl.jpg

arm_zpsjvconm5j.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, JimboS1ice said:

lol nah pretty hard to find a true US made power tool, and non of you Dewalt fanboys say a word, "ASSEMBLED WITH US MATERIALS" aint made in the USA, I just meant for hand tools I've gotten a taste of german and US quality and its no comepetion

although i could go all festool and metabo and go total german... hmmm

Haven't tried many German hand tools but there are several American made hand tools I think are great. I don't turn wrenches so my favorite American brands are more like Estwing, Klein, Lenox, and (some) Channellock. You're right though it's tough to find an all American made cordless power tool, much less an entire line. I can't name one.   

Haven't tried many German hand tools but there are several American made hand tools I think are great. I don't turn wrenches so my favorite American brands are more like Estwing, Klein, Lenox, and (some) Channellock. You're right though it's tough to find an all American made cordless power tool, much less an entire line. I can't name one.   

Great brands you named there channel locks are great, I have quite a few Estwing too

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

5 hours ago, phffter said:

late to the party (again).

sad, another old USA name bites the dust, especially when driven by the greed of the (mis)management

i have armstrong. i like the chrome finish on wrenches, in fact, the armstrongs live in drawers away from the worker wrenches.

saltus, combos, ratcheting combos, dbe. ratchets live with their brethren, stored by size. i think theres about 10 or so rats.

i have been buying menard's masterforce sockets as replacements/fill ins. they're made in the same USA plant as armstrong. the chrome finish is very good.

workers on the left, museum pieces on the right.

arm1_zpsgzjyagvl.jpg

arm_zpsjvconm5j.jpg

I hear Menards is/was having supply issues with Armstrong and is switching suppliers so those sockets are getting harder to come by. Just rumors I've heard, I don't know how true they are as I'm not in the Menards part of the country.

18 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I hear Menards is/was having supply issues with Armstrong and is switching suppliers so those sockets are getting harder to come by. Just rumors I've heard, I don't know how true they are as I'm not in the Menards part of the country.

yes, they have added crescent, and the prices are stupid silly cheap, and epanded gearwrench, both apex brands.

was there today, noticed offerings of stanley, other than tapes, which were all chinese

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple Armstrong sockets ,1 3/8 breaker bar,and 2 wrenches 1 tiny 1 big lol. They are made well and I did want some more of they're tools till I found out its about the same as Allen,kobalt, craftsman and matco, I'm more of a snap on, mac and industrial I like wright and williams. The newer 88t maxx Armstrong ratchets are a good by compared to Matco but still chose to get matco ratchets I like to have ratchets and other tools to have variety ans to sample everyone. Can't say I'll miss Armstrong or Allen can't even see how they stayed in business this long and not shocked about craftsman because they have been around forever making pretty much the same damn tools for years which weren't great to start with and got worst plus they made so much of it people can find it used very easily specially in yard sales and such.

I bought all my craftsman usa for pennies and still wasted my money as I never use any of them. I like USA made tools but really don't care where it's made as long as it is top notch. I have Carlyle Asian made and Bluepoint ,and couple williams and I'm happy with it all every bit as nivevas my newer usa tools.